Seat Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little off-topic but I’m thinking about selling my Gen2 Russell’s with <400 miles on them, what’s a fair price?
I may be selling the FJR soon, reason for the seat sale. Thanks and sorry for the hijack
The price will be dependent on is it a trade for stock seats or an outright sale. Also any prospective buyers will need to know your height, weight and inseam.

They usually go fast!

Good luck!

A little off-topic but I’m thinking about selling my Gen2 Russell’s with <400 miles on them, what’s a fair price?
I may be selling the FJR soon, reason for the seat sale. Thanks and sorry for the hijack
The price will be dependent on is it a trade for stock seats or an outright sale. Also any prospective buyers will need to know your height, weight and inseam.

They usually go fast!

Good luck!
Outright sale, I bought a set of Yamaha touring seats to use while my 08's were out to Russell's. Rider 6'2 220 Pass 5'7 150

I will let you all know a little history of seat making. Bill Mayer was a genius. Back in the 70's he invented the Day Long Saddle. He made them for years, and they were hands down the best motorcycle seat you could by. Bill decided he wanted to retire. He sold the company and the name "Day Long" to his accountant, Russel. That is what a Russell seat is, the one Bill Mayer invented 40 some years ago, with limited changes since then. The seat uses a steel frame and springs to support the wings.

After Bill sold the company he had many people still come to him asking that he make seats for them. Bill had signed a 10 year non-compete agreement as part of the sale so he did not make any seats. After the agreement expired, he and his son Rocky came up with what they thought was a better way to make seats. They went with closed cell foam technology. (that means that the cells in the foam are sealed so they don't absorb water.) They have the foam molded in saddle shaped pieces in 3 different foam densities. When you go in there, they look at where you sit on the bike, then remove the stock foam and place the saddle insert so it positions you in that place. The seat has the same effect as the Day Long, but it is supported by the rigid foam instead of steel.

This makes either one of these seats the very best in the business. Some companies like Sergeant, Rick Mayer, and others just reshape your stock seat and foam for a better fit. Some like Corbin make a new pan and build it with new foam. None of these are as good as the Russell or Bill Mayer (BMS) saddles.

You are always best to do a ride in and have the seat made after you sit on it and ride it. Doing it through the mail can be a time consuming and hit and miss proposition. Plus it is a great excuse to come out and ride California.

Tom

Well, I got my used RDL today in the mail. Initial sit feels good. Will get it out for a test ride later :)

I will let you all know a little history of seat making.with what they thought was a better way to make seats[...] Some companies like Sergeant, Rick Mayer, and others just reshape your stock seat and foam for a better fit. Some like Corbin make a new pan and build it with new foam. None of these are as good as the Russell or Bill Mayer (BMS) saddles. Tom
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts, because facts are facts. Rick Mayer seats are made similarly to the process/description you provided for Bill Mayer seats, although I'm sure the details differ. The Russell design was one way to solve a problem, but using different densities and types of foam is another way. I've watched the construction of my Rick Mayer seat, and I can assure you there are different types of foam, used strategically to obtain the intended results.
As to which is the better seat, I think it would be hard to get a bad seat (uncomfortable) from Russell or either of the Mayer brothers. Each builder has different features, that can and should help potential customers decide. I can say that after considerable research I found the Rick Mayer seat features compelling, for me, and am very happy to be able to ride all day in comfort instead of having to stop every 90 minutes. My Rick Mayer saddle and my CalSci medium windscreen have turned my FJR into a comfortable all-day riding machine.

I can't comment on the Corbin seat, but I can say that the Sargent aftermarket seat, while better than the stock seat, isn't even close in comfort to my custom seat. The Sargent is wider, but hard as a rock. Maybe they should call it the 'Sargent Rock!' At any rate, the negligible price difference between a true custom seat and the aftermarket seats makes a custom seat seem like a no-brainer.

As youve seen, Russell is a popular seat. I had one, which was made for someone of a different stature, so obviously it didnt work out quite as well for me.

I had my stock seat done by Spencer, it worker out well, nothing wrong with it, especially the price.

Now I have a Mayer seat. I have to say I really like it, comfortable, can move around on it in the corners.

There are plenty of options, just like windshields, everyone has their preference, although there are some definite front runners.

If you have the chance to meet up with some fellow owners with different seats and get to try them out then you will have a better impression what you may like.

I will let you all know a little history of seat making.with what they thought was a better way to make seats[...] Some companies like Sergeant, Rick Mayer, and others just reshape your stock seat and foam for a better fit. Some like Corbin make a new pan and build it with new foam. None of these are as good as the Russell or Bill Mayer (BMS) saddles. Tom
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts, because facts are facts. Rick Mayer seats are made similarly to the process/description you provided for Bill Mayer seats, although I'm sure the details differ. The Russell design was one way to solve a problem, but using different densities and types of foam is another way. I've watched the construction of my Rick Mayer seat, and I can assure you there are different types of foam, used strategically to obtain the intended results.
As to which is the better seat, I think it would be hard to get a bad seat (uncomfortable) from Russell or either of the Mayer brothers. Each builder has different features, that can and should help potential customers decide. I can say that after considerable research I found the Rick Mayer seat features compelling, for me, and am very happy to be able to ride all day in comfort instead of having to stop every 90 minutes. My Rick Mayer saddle and my CalSci medium windscreen have turned my FJR into a comfortable all-day riding machine.

I can't comment on the Corbin seat, but I can say that the Sargent aftermarket seat, while better than the stock seat, isn't even close in comfort to my custom seat. The Sargent is wider, but hard as a rock. Maybe they should call it the 'Sargent Rock!' At any rate, the negligible price difference between a true custom seat and the aftermarket seats makes a custom seat seem like a no-brainer.
+1

I found a set of front and rear seats. I think I am going to go with the Bill Mayer seat. I was able to sit on RogerDogers seat while at a Mn rally. I found that a little better for me. Since I have a second seat coming I wont have to do without while i wait for my seat to get done. I wish I lived closer for a ride in