Seat Height

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis C

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was was wondering if I could get some help with respect to after market seats.

I have a 2012 and find the seat height just a tad high for me. I have to sit right at the front of the stock seat to flatfoot it.

I would like to have a lower seating position without altering the suspension.

Question: for those of you that have a Sargent, Corbin, etc seat, have you noticed a lowered seating postion at all? If so, what brand of seat and what difference did you note?

Thanks.

Dennis

Flatfooted?.....what's that? I'm just able to get the bottom of my toes down, but find I'm adapting to it.

Start by taking out the plastic seat adjuster thig a ma gig.

If that's not enough, you can have your seat reshaped to fit.

I had the same problem,removed the plastic and bought a Corbin seat.

Corbin or Sargent can make your seat lower by eliminating some foam.

If you send your seat to Sargent I think they charge about $175 to reform it, you can tell them to take an inch or so of foam out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Start by taking out the plastic seat adjuster thig a ma gig.
If that's not enough, you can have your seat reshaped to fit.

I had the same problem,removed the plastic and bought a Corbin seat.
That sums it up pretty much. I have a Sargent and do not find much difference over stock. How about thicker soled boots?

I went with the Corbin which gets you a bit lower though with the heated version there is less of reduction.
smile.png

Well, I ended up getting me a custom seat from Rich's as he's got his shop in my neighborhood. In the beginning though, while searching for the right seat I contemplated on a Corbin a lot, as I liked their pricing, yet decided against it, as I actually needed a build up to accommodate my 34" inseam.

Meaning as to my recollection, Corbin's run about an inch lower than the rest of the bunch, so that should help you, else try the mods the other fellas talked about already.

Good luck

V
RPK

Flatfooted?.....what's that? I'm just able to get the bottom of my toes down, but find I'm adapting to it.
Exactly! At 30" inseam (on a good day), I'm on the balls of my feet if both feet are down. Never bothered me, but my Harley buds always seem aghast at such foolhardiness!

The stock seat had me on the balls of my feet, or flat footing on one foot. Upgrading to the GP Suspension fork kit and Olins shock added most of another inch. Later the Russell saddle increased the seat height a skosh more.

It's a top heavy bike. Balance well; choose where you plant your feet wisely...

Thanks for the ideas folks. I think i'll try the dealer to see if they know of someone in the area that does seat work and simply have some foam removed.

Or I could opt for some KISS boots, my wife would get a hoot out of that. Wonder if they make boot farkles! :)

Take care.

Dennis

Thanks for the ideas folks. I think i'll try the dealer to see if they know of someone in the area that does seat work and simply have some foam removed.
Or I could opt for some KISS boots, my wife would get a hoot out of that. Wonder if they make boot farkles! :)

Take care.

Dennis
Any good upholstery shop should do, especially if they have automotive experience. I had my race bike seat done by a local shop and they did a fine job.

A little late to the party but I like my Corbin seat just for this reason. There was no way, no matter how I contorted, that I could flatfoot on both sides. Even tho I'm usually a 'left-down-right-on-brake' type, the 3/4" or so I gained with the Corbin is just enough that with a little stretching I can now reach both sides when needed. It seems like a hard seat at first but it provides excellent support in all the right places for me so it's way more comfortable than the stock seat.

I have a 30" inseam & recently raised the seat from the low position. For maximum comfort at the lights, I plant my left foot only, otherwise I am on the balls of both feet when stopped. I found out that having the seat in its upper position improved my comfort by increasing my leg angle from the foot pegs. Less leg cramps for me.

One of the advantages of the Corbin is that besides being 3/4 of an inch lower, the seat is narrower and more rounded at the sides thus keeping you from spreading your legs as much, which results in creating a shorter distance for your legs.

So if you plan on having someone shave some foam off the stock seat have them take some off the sides too.

One of the advantages of the Corbin is that besides being 3/4 of an inch lower, the seat is narrower and more rounded at the sides thus keeping you from spreading your legs as much, which results in creating a shorter distance for your legs. So if you plan on having someone shave some foam off the stock seat have them take some off the sides too.
Just received my Corbin, which I ordered for this reason. When I ordered over the phone though the rep cautioned me they are WIDER than stock and so although lower, some complain about leg spread. They recommended a "nose Job" order which ensure it's kept narrow in front. No extra cost and I appreciated the advice. I have mine now and that 3/4" (see my thread with pics) DOES indeed help with about 50% more confidence in my consistent stops. The Corbin, coupled with my River Road boots with extra 1/2" or so from local boot repair place and I feel in control. My FZ1 may have technically higher seat, but since it's narrower and the bike is lighter it feel waaay easier to flat foot and be in control.

You'll enjoy the Corbin for height correction.

Last edited by a moderator: