Seat removal without a key

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Ente

Reaction score
Any advice on how to release the seat on an ‘05 without a key? Definitely don’t want to damage the RDL seat, and prefer not to do more damage than necessary to the bike and lock mechanism. Thanks for your help!

The ignition key is lost or doesn't work? What's going on with the bike?

When I lost the key to a previous bike, I loaded it up in a trailer and took it to a locksmith who made me a key (quickly I might add). There are also mobile locksmiths, although you will pay extra.

If you look at the parts fiche from a 2005, you will see a cable that runs from the lock mechanism to the seat latch. I don't have a Gen I to look at, but can to access the cable and pull it using pliers or something similar?

1676647622932.png

You might try removing the screws holding the lock cylinder to the frame. Maybe that can be pulled out far enough to access the cable on the back. Then as Ross suggested pull the cable. It will make it easier to release the seat if you press down on the seat.

dan

Might I suggest something like this?

88aea6c4-cfdf-4616-bf24-8c7309076c62_1.c48206f21fdd1686fdb8f49e07b94520.jpeg

Or maybe not. ;)

We had a ZRX rider lock his key under his seat on a ride. I pulled mine next to him and removed the seat and borrowed a long screwdriver from a friendly guy in a truck near by. Then using mine as a model we were able to spring his seat up enough to reach in with the screwdriver at just the right place to spring the latch.
That's a lot of typing to suggest that maybe if you had one like yours to study it would help you figure out a way to defeat the latch. ;)

If you look at the parts fiche from a 2005, you will see a cable that runs from the lock mechanism to the seat latch. I don't have a Gen I to look at, but can to access the cable and pull it using pliers or something simila
I agree with RossKean. This looks like the easiest option. My bike is tucked away in its seacan hibernation place until the snow leaves us so I can't look at this directly, but from the parts fiche it looks like that key assembly should be easily removeable, if you have the correct screw bit. The parts number for those 2 screws is 90149-06308 and taking a close look at that part reveals it is a M6 x 15mm screw with Tamper Resistant torx bit head. Just a guess but YamaMama may also have added a touch of Loctite to the threads at factory to foil non-owners from removing these things too easily as well. So you may need to add a "little" heat to the screw head, then using the correctly sized tamper resistant screw bit, remove those 2 screws, pull off the key mechanism, and then you should be able to manually pull the ferrule on the seat release cable to release the seat latch. Most hardware stores carry a selection of tamper resist bits in their screwdrivers section. I know here in Canada Princess Auto sells these things. I'm sure Harbour Freight does in the U.S. and I know Amazon has them too. Here's a link to a photo of the screw in question being sold on ebay, in case you're not familiar with a tamper resistant torx bit; https://images.app.goo.gl/wru9KS9UKA8QmSMQ6

I have a set of those tamper resistant bits. But in a pinch, the center "post" in a small tamper resistant screw will usually snap off with a screwdriver.

I had to change my seat lock when I changed ignition assembly. Use a small drill bit and the tamper proof bolt will start spinning and melt right through the plastic. Do this to both sides. There should be enough room to stick needle nose pliers in the hole and pull on the cable to release the seat.
Good luck.

Any advice on how to release the seat on an ‘05 without a key? Definitely don’t want to damage the RDL seat, and prefer not to do more damage than necessary to the bike and lock mechanism. Thanks for your help!
Thanks so much to all the respondents for a range of potentially helpful solutions. It is heartwarming to see the FJR community "rise to the occasion"!

So you never really answered... do you have a key to the bike? What are you going to do about the ignition?
It's rather a long story, but I do not have a key. The bike was stolen four months ago, the police assured me I'd never see it again if it wasn't recovered within 72 hours. In the meanwhile I sold the two panniers (which were off the bike when stolen) for $50 each (with my two keys), and then -- somehow -- the police found the bike and towed it to the impound lot. I'm hoping to get my Russell Day Long custom seat off the bike, IF it is still at the impound lot. Ownership was transferred to my insurance company a month ago in exchange for a financial settlement under the Comprehensive coverage of my policy, and while seeking seat removal strategies, I've been trying to find out from the insurance company where my FJR is at present. If it has already been taken away by a salvage company, seat retrieval is obviously moot.