Seattle Area: Lowered FJR to sit on?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marked23

Reaction score
Does anybody in the Seattle area have a lowered FJR that my wife can sit on?

She wants a four-cylinder bike. My FJR is too tall for her. But I'm hoping someone nearby has a lowered FJR that she can sit on and see if she fits. If she does, I can buy her a bike and lower it.

I'm just wanting to make sure a lowered bike will fit her before I go out and buy one to lower.

-Mark

Seattle Ty has one that is lowered, can't recall the exact amount. Might shoot him a PM to work something out.

--G

if your wife can not fit on a lowered FJR, either a FZ6 or FZ1 could be other possible solutions. The GEN 1 FZ1 is super easy to lower compared to the FZ6. Also the FZ1 seat can be easily cut down as well. Just sayin. Good luck.

Give Seth Laam of Laam Custom Seats a call, he can lower your seat and the price is very reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine isn't lowered but with the seat mounted in the Low position my 30" inseam has no problem flat footing at a stop. I think the sides of the seat near the tank have narrowed slightly in the three years and 22000 miles. I work in Redmond, close to City Hall, and ride most days it is over 40 degrees at 5:45 AM and not raining when I leave Mercer Island. Office is easy to find. More than welcome to pass by and try it out.

Cool.. thanks for the offers. A bit more info about her needs:

She wants:

• ABS
  • Heated grips
  • Big faring weather protection
  • Power windscreen
The FZ6 fits her nicely, but it's missing the points above. She almost went for it anyway, but I'd rather she had the weather protection of the bigger bike.

So the FZ6 seat height is 30.9. Her current bike is 29.x.

My plan includes thining the seat (as seen in another thread) and adding the adjustable lowering links and taking them down as far as practical. Also, would have the forks lowered too. If I could get the bike down to 29.5 or even 29.0, and if it still works like that, she would get an FJR.

Keep in mind you'll need to modify / replace the side stand and depending on how low you go, the center stand will be a real bear to use. For home maintenance, you can roll the rear tire on a 2 X 4 and get it on the center stand from there...not very practical on the road though.

Good luck!

--G

Give Seth Laam of Laam Custom Seats a call, he can lower your seat and the price is very reasonable.
Another custom seat recommendation here... you can take the bike and the wife to Rich's Custom Seats and have him lower the seat and customize it to fit. He's over in Kingston, WA - just a quick ferry ride. He does great stuff. I had him do my '08.

https://www.richscustomseats.com/

Another thought is getting her m/c boots with some height to them in the soul. That can provide at least an inch.

My wife is 5'9" and she road my FJR this summer and did ok on it. But she normally rides a lowered SV650. Its important that the rider feels comfortable and the bike not too tall. Instills confidence.
winksmiley02.gif

Scott

SeattleTy's FJR is lowered but I think he has a Russel seat on it. It would be worth a shot to contact him and make sure you have a stock seat to try.

My plan is to modify the stock seat... pull off the buttons and the rack, and cut out some of the plastic underneath.

I had Rich build me a seat for my BMW1100RT. I went back three times for adjustments. Never liked it. Bought a factory "comfort" seat and loved it. My "Rich's" seat is still sitting in a box in my garage. Never again.

>getting her m/c boots with some height to them

That's a great idea. I think we will look at that.

>side stand and depending on how low you go, the center stand will be a real bear to use.

I have seen aftermarket side stands. We'll get one of those. The center stand will get cut and re-welded. No expense spared for "the Admiral."

I really want this experiment to work for her.

I'm 5-7 and have basically a 33 1/2" inseam (crotch to ground). No problem with touching the ground on a stock FJR and flat footing it. I had a friend that was 5-4 and he had to install dog bones that lowered it an 1" in the rear, then he lowered the triple trees 3/8" on the front forks. He also had a Russell Day Long that moved him forward about 2 1/2". He didn't have any problem keeping up with me in the corners. He cut down the center stand and side stand too.

Hi Marked23.

I have a lowered 2013 your wife is welcome to sit on if you still need that.

I have the Kouba links, front forks adjusted 3/8" higher in the clamps, and a lowered seat (by Rich). I'm 5'8" at a 'stretch'.

I also have the bars back an inch or so.

https: // www . helibars . com/ product /yamaha-fjr1300-handlebar-bridge-2006-2013-us-european (take the spaces out to load the URL)

Gets me one foot fully on the ground and the other around 30degrees up.

Center stand works but needs a reasonable push to swing the bike up.

PM me if this helps. I'm not far from you.