Second Gear fix on Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic story! I also bag everything step by step. I think I would have to draw the line at dropping the engine and splitting the cases, though. Salute to your patience and attention to detail. What is your career?

Thanks so much for investing the time to document your own repair job FJ3R!

I have recently thought my old Gen 1's clutch may be slipping at certain times when I hit her hard (low gears, higher revs, hot summer days), but your demonstration and overall story inspire me to look beyond just the possibility of a clutch problem. My FJR now has ~ 120,000 Kms accrued, so it is plausible that I too, should consider possibility of gear replacement too.

All the best in 2019...

Thanks so much for investing the time to document your own repair job FJ3R!
I have recently thought my old Gen 1's clutch may be slipping at certain times when I hit her hard (low gears, higher revs, hot summer days), but your demonstration and overall story inspire me to look beyond just the possibility of a clutch problem. My FJR now has ~ 120,000 Kms accrued, so it is plausible that I too, should consider possibility of gear replacement too.

All the best in 2019...
My pleasure.

I just had so much fun doing this (the video I mean... the mechanics is definitely interesting and challenging, although less fun!). But the satisfaction is right up there!

Good luck with your bike.

Have a great New year!

Fantastic story! I also bag everything step by step. I think I would have to draw the line at dropping the engine and splitting the cases, though. Salute to your patience and attention to detail. What is your career?
Thanks.

Its more intimidating that what is really is. Everything breaks down in little bolts and parts. Bag'em and number them, and follow procedures...

I'm a bit of a jack of all trades but spend most of my time working on solving the world's greatest problem.

Cheers

My guess if Final Cut Pro editing software?

Great job, enjoyable watch..

And no lift either? Kudos!

My guess if Final Cut Pro editing software?
Great job, enjoyable watch..

And no lift either? Kudos!
Thanks, glad you liked it.

Imovie... came with my Mac. Super user friendly.

One rung at the time... up the ladder it went, had to improvise.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit of a jack of all trades but spend most of my time working on solving the world's greatest problem.
How to unwrap a CD?

Figuring out what women really want?

How to make a fried egg without breaking the yolk?

Climate change?

How to get people to stop saying, "AWESOME?"

How many of your labor hours do you estimate went into this effort ?

How to unwrap a CD?

Figuring out what women really want?

How to make a fried egg without breaking the yolk?

Climate change?

How to get people to stop saying, "AWESOME?"

How many of your labor hours do you estimate went into this effort ?
Whirled peas???

tubular ?? nah...anyhew did that job on a Sazook RF900r...not that hard but u must take your time, a lot of it, and and do [fly] it right . Nice vid FJ3R

The FJ's are my son's. the white one is modified and leaves me in the dust... maybe now with my new second gear...

Project took approximatively 40 hours.

Can't wait to try it out... in three months!

Hat's off to you for undertaking that job and for being so kind as to make the video illustrating it.

The problem you repaired is very deep and you showed us all how it can be done step by step.

Thanks for the help.

Great job on the video and resurrection of a nice bike. If you got that bike for $2000 Canadian that was a steal. Im sure the reason it was so cheap was the second gear problem.

Other folks have documented this repair, but not in video format that Im aware of. One thing I think I noticed in your video is that it looks like the gear dogs and pockets are undercut on the new pieces. Of course the old ones were all hogged out from the damage, but Im wondering if maybe Yamaha updated these part from the originals? That would be a nice tidbit to know.

Great job on the video and resurrection of a nice bike. If you got that bike for $2000 Canadian that was a steal. Im sure the reason it was so cheap was the second gear problem.
Other folks have documented this repair, but not in video format that Im aware of. One thing I think I noticed in your video is that it looks like the gear dogs and pockets are undercut on the new pieces. Of course the old ones were all hogged out from the damage, but Im wondering if maybe Yamaha updated these part from the originals? That would be a nice tidbit to know.
Hi Fred

Interesting point and would make some sense. I unfortunately didn't notice or even examined them to see. If you wait a week or two, I'll just reopen it and take some measurements!
uhoh.gif

It is certain the seller knew about the problem... it is impossible to miss unless you never twist the throttle hard. He just told me that he needed to sell fast to make place for his new bike... a Goldwing (???) I was a bit suspicious but... to each his own. The bike looked good and sounded great. It needed a new rear tire, a clutch handle rebuild and a bit of polishing. The problem showed up a couple of months later (spring) and was right there the first time I twisted the throttle hard on it... Other that that, it runs like a charm, fires up every time I ask, purrs like a big kitten and handles great.

Of course, I thought the price was low but, being a committed DIYer, I figured that it gave me an easy $1000 budget to fix whatever issue would come up. Well I bargained for a big job, that's for sure but it cost me less that $500, which makes it very acceptable as the bike is now worth double what I paid for it. Plus, I did learn a lot and demystified my engine in the process.

The other thing is that I had bought a 1999 Concours four years ago for $1250 / rode it for three seasons and sold it for $2100 a few weeks after buying the FJR. I'll let you do the math.

Cheers