Seeking advice on first FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you are interested in a long distance sport tourer, Hmmmmmm? Looking at your objectives to me it sounds like you are searching for the wrong bike. Not that you won't regret buying one.

Best of luck, Dave

A lot of people talk about the FJR as being 'heavy' but I don't see it.

I had a '87 GoldWing in the 90's, in the 80's an 82 Yamaha XS-1100 Midnight Special full dress, I had an old Yamaha Venture, '03 Victory Touring Cruiser, BMW K1200LT, and BMW R1200RT, among other cycles. In comparison my 2016 FJR ES feels positively light and easy to handle. The BMWs - especially the RT - were so tall that I couldn't put both feet flat on the ground, which made it really hard to handle walking it in parking lots with gravel on top of the asphalt. The Victory was heavy enough, hard enough to handle, that I got a great workout riding it. The Wing - obviously was never on a diet.

I haven't had lightweight sport bikes to compare, so for me the FJR is super easy to handle. Once it is rolling, she definitely feels light!

For me the 2016 + was a requirement - not just for the 6th gear but also for the clutch improvements, making it easier on the left hand. I have some carpel tunnel issues, and there were times that hours of stop 'n slow riding on the BMW I would get something like a Charley Horse in my wrist, and have to finish the ride pulling my 'claw' hand back from my shoulder to work the clutch! The light touch clutch is appreciated.

Factory cruise control is an absolute necessity (as the speed creeps up to triple digits if not for the CC) which was a deal breaker for a few other makes/models, and the heated grips are definitely useful. The only major thing that is missing is a tall enough windshield to keep the cold and rain going over my head, so that's the next thing is to research the options for the best windshield.

I think it would be worth spending a little more to get a newer model, as you obviously keep quality around for a long time!

I’ve ridden just about everything over the last 50 years, and evolved several years ago to an’05 FJR. Sold it at 45k miles and bought a ‘14. 44k no problems. It’s for sale, as I just bought an ‘18 fresh out of the crate this last spring. Other than 2nd gear upgrades, etc., it’s flawless.
Put my Sargent seat and taller windscreen from ‘14 straight over to the’18.
Best sport/touring ever. Hope you join the best cult around…

I have a '17 with the adjustable suspension. I'm in the "used to ride, then I didn't, and now I do again" group. The new group started with a Honda CB900 (tourer with cowhorns, and HD seating, 10 speed box [well, hi range, lo range & 5 speed main box in front of that - story available at with least provocation]) fully kitted out with Vetter fairing, etc. (what was I thinking?), #2 was a C10 Concors in "Barney purple, which was a pretty good, if not fast tourer (added aftermarket cruise control - don't leave home without it), #3 a slightly kitted up BMW K1200RS (darn fast, added CC) which was a surprisingly good long haul bike that also carved up corners thanks to added Ölin shocks front and back.

The FJR is a mixed bag. As someone said, up and rolling, the bike's fun to play on, and gets serious about breaking speed limits for hours at a go. The bags are "pack carefully, and plan on a waterproof duffle bag" - not very good for long trips with laptop in tow. I wear an Aerostich one-piece. No amount of origami will fold it to get the thing in a bag. Storing my Shoei works, but needs some twist-and-turn to get it in. Grrr... Yes, I could/should use a top case but...

Swinging a leg past the case, with the bike on the center stand could be ...um... interresting. As it is, I'm not happy to see the scuffs I've left. Why is this all an issue because...

A low-rider this bike isn't. At 6', wearing 34" inseam jeans, I can flat-foot the bike, but not spread my feet as much as I want. There isn't much hope of a marked change without making (excessive) changes to the suspension. Changing to an after-market saddle would mean something like a Corbin "plank" that hasn't been broken in. Even then, there's only so much that can do before hitting the frame. (Oh, and has a heating element compatible with what's in the stock saddle) This isn't going to change without a fight. That might not be the end of the world, but...

This rascal is not lightness personified. No, no, no, it's not. At no to maybe 5-7MPH... I'll admit to a couple of garage drops. All of the bikes listed above could be used for local go-ferring. Plenty of bag volume - the K1200RS wasn't happy about low parking lot speed, particularly with a full tank of gas (high and heavy). The FJR is just flat worse and used for a go-fer at the start or end of a ride segment.

These are the things that have me questioning whether I made the right choice.

As I said, this thing is quick. Early on, before I woke up to how quick, I pulled out to pass three eighteen-wheelers, by the time I finished the pass, I'd hit just short of 100. Oops.

I agree with others, the stock saddle is a bit on the firm side (snicker). I can spend some time on a horse, and feel mostly an ache in my ancient knees. On the stock saddle, a gas stop is a welcome thing.

I don't, without intent, get crazy on the throttle. Overall mileage is fine, but the tanks is a little short-legged. See above for why I'm not reduced to tears over this point.

The powered windscreen is welcome, but for me, my helmet's a tough too high for full shelter from the air stream. I tried an after-market deflector, but it had the windscreen flexing a bit too much for my tastes. Just applies to me, and people who're taller.

The switchology's not too bad. I can think of changes, but don't have the least urge to design, cast, fit, and install something different. Gauges are OK (IMHO, there's something to be said for a couple of moving pointers, but that's just me). Overall, it takes a little practice to figure out which display says what, and how to get the one you want. My thumb still confuses the hi/lo rocker and the menu rocker. Call it user error.

The grip and seating heaters are verrrrry welcome when wanted. Oh my yes. True for the cruise control. Checking the speedo against my GPS, the error is the speedo's a touch fast, but what speedo isn't unless it's been adjusted. The error isn't enough fret about. Changing tires may (will!) change that, of course. Anyway, the CC does an honest job of following a speed setting.

I like the lighting. The added "corner lights" are "nice try, folks". On righthand turns, the lights are of some use, but should be full on, not "the greater the lean angle, the brighter the light". C'mon, Yamaha, it's as possible to cut the turn a little too tight at 10 MPH as 50 MPH. On or off, not encouraging crazy lean angles at 15 MPH. Lefthand turns? Not worth it. This is a common point in reviews, though.

I hate to disappoint some folks, but IMHO slip-ons, etc. fit in with anyone who foolishly thinks loud pipes save lives. The exhaust note is polite, the performance is quite nice, thank you. I've ridden an BMW RT that something just short of a fart can. After an hour's ride down the PA TPK, I was ...uh... Not Pleased. Ride your own ride, and all, but if you like long and relative calm, you'll like this.

Someone mentioned that alternator. In the winter I use an Aerostich heated jacket liner. It's not "all or nothing" - I use a controller to set the on/off duty cycle. NTL in "on" the liner draws whatever it needs. Add to that a GPS (TomTom - OK but weird), and my phone, both plugged in. Hit the "change suspension" button, and with the suspension changing, the phone and GPS' draw, and the heater's draw, there's no hint of dimming or "gotta turn off the liner first". Yep, works just fine, thanks.

Brakes. Ah, yes, they do work, oh my yes. I was almost over "my dead body" against them. I still feel a little unhappy that it takes a little skill to get "most braking from the back, not much up front" out of them, but it can be done. Whyever want that? Come down a double-digit steep grade, need a touch of brake, and grab for the front brake? Tell me how much fun it was to see the front wheel tuck in. Hope the bike didn't land you after you unloaded. Grabbing the brakes (handle or pedal) and getting front and rear still has me saying "rear brake pedal, too, fool". I actually fret about getting too used to that, jumping on another bike and not having a good day. But that's just me.

Related to breaking, the front brake is, IMHO, a little too "touchy". Grab a little too hard and "well, that was memorable". My '20 Volvo XC40 RE (the best year for that model, IMHO - '21 Volvo basically was turned over to the bean counters, even the RE) was similarly touch brakes. They GRAB much past sneezing to press the pedal. Now I can pull off chauffer smooth stops most of the time. Ditto for the FJR

Bottom line? There's a lot to like, some annoyances, and too many gripes. If She Who Must Be Obeyed wouldn't tell me to move into the barn for the rest of my life, I'd sniff around for an alternative. Maybe I'd decide I really did hit the sweet spot, maybe not. I've even had the occasional thought about finding another K1200RS (vein-bulging rant about the Red Rocket's demise available for the unwary, and anyone else, at no provocation at all). Forget 'Wings, HD (are you insane?), new BMW (who has that kind of money? Not me). The current Concours? Unless they added CC, hell will freeze over first.

The above is worth exactly what you paid for it, S&H deducted from the refund.

Another opinion here. As we know, it doesn't mean shit. And, understand this is an FJR forum, so most of us are a tad biased. First, the equipment.

Bike: 2008 FJR, Mods; Added helmet locks made by Scott Townsend right here on this forum. Speed Bleeders. That's it.
Previous Bike (for frame of reference): 1998 Honda SuperHawk.
Pilot: 1957 model, 6'3", 205 lb, needs some work (occasional lower back disc problems, a little arthritis, bursitis, tendinitis, pretty much any "-itis"), cosmetic damage, might be past the point of rebuilding.

Bitches:
1) How could Yamaha overlook factory helmet locks on a sport-touring bike? I don't give a shit whether or not a helmet fits in the saddlebags or trunk. What am I supposed to do on a trip, which is what these bikes are built for? Unload my clothes and gear and stack them on the seat so I can lock my helmet in the saddlebag? Hell, even my Honda sportbike has helmet locks. All my previous bikes before that had helmet locks, too. (This problem is solved by Scott's exquisite brackets mentioned above). But, c'mon Yamaha.
2) The seat padding is about 30% too soft, which isn't an issue on a 250 mile day ride, but gets to be a problem on a 700+ mile day. After a couple hours, I can feel the seat pan on my bony sagging ass. Thankfully, it's pretty easy to stand on the pegs for a mile or two. And there are many aftermarket options.
3) The windshield is a tad too tall to get calm air, for my height. The turbulent wind starts right at the bottom of my helmet, which we all know causes buffeting and noise. My SuperHawk, with its forward-slanted riding position and lower wind screen, has the wind cutoff at about armpit level, so my head is in beautifully clean air. It makes for less-fatiguing and quieter rides. That being said, when the weather turns cold and/or wet, the FJR clearly is the better bike to be on. Again, many aftermarket options.
4) Yup, it's heavy, and is feeling heavier as I get older. With all that mass, when I go to the whip and let the old girl loose on twisty roads, it eats tires like a bulemic pit bull eats pork chops. I usually get 3,100 to 3,500 miles out of my tires. Which helped me make the decision to buy a NoMar tire changer a couple of years ago, so I guess that could partially be a good thing, in the big picture.

Pluses:
A) Torque. Mid-range, and good pull on top too. 150 mph and stable as an anvil.
B) Relatively comfortable.
C) Reliable as the above-mentioned anvil, and most maintenance tasks are relatively easy. Not all, but most.
D) Great brakes.
E) A little bit stealthy, at least compared to a lot of other bikes. Doesn't seem to automatically draw the eyes of the guys/gals with the ticket books.
F) CENTERSTAND. The importance of this appendage cannot be overstated.
G) Lastly, but not leastly, the amount of knowledge, help, kindness, humor, and friendship on this forum. Priceless.

Good luck. Ride well.

Expanding on the BMW RT... I've ridden several, of varying ages. I settled on the K1200RS because the RT I tried felt like a sewing machine". "RT smooth"? Hah, I say. Hah!

Later, I rode a friend's '07, and the one that argues against slip-ons. The '07 rider keeps after me to buy his (age increasing confidence decreasing). It's short of some creature comforts (notably suspension is what it is, no changing), and its gas gauge sensor is toast (common in this era, with no certain fix - BMW tried two replacements, gave up after the third failure - weird, but there is, short of replacing the tank, and praying it holds up, no sure fix, just work-arounds). Performance-wise, it's no FJR, but not shabby. I liked the other RT, considered making an offer - first project? Hello, stock muffler. Faster with the almost fart can?. If you say so.

I rode a '16 in the Alps. After decided to follow I don't know who's advice, I decided to "ride it like you hate it" including winding p**s out of it in uphill pitched hairpins (the avatar is me leaning into the start of one - a mere ~7%) we got on well enough. But it belonged to Edelweiss tours (rant available on request). The ascent is on the road up "Stelvio pass" - 48 hairpin turns of suffering (this is #20 - you can't see I'm already begging for mercy), some of the road hits 14%, most turns are only 7%. Anyway, once I figured it out it was OK. I so hate the "one [control] ring to bind them all"!

Older, "sewing machine" RT's could be fixed, in a WallyWorld parking lot, with pliers, a screwdriver, and the appropriate sized rock. The current "darn, I could buy a fine car with this money" RT's need service by "technicians" who charge more than lawyers do (yeah, I used to do criminal defense, but I make more at this dealership, spinning wrenches).

Went back to Stelvio the next year, on a K1600. What the f*** was I thinking? I hated it, couldn't get it to scream like the '16 RT. Sure was an autobahn flier, though. Going downhill with hairpins, it was more than capable. Uphill on Stelvio? Just don't!

Giggles and grins - St. Gotthard Pass and La Tremola on the K1600 - jump to 7:15 to see why I'm on cushy road all the way to a bit after 10:30 - heh, heh, heh...

Yes, those are cobblestones. Dry, there's a lot more grip than I expected. Wet? Leaves you imitating pigs on ice.

Last edited:
One note about Gen I vs Gen II/III/IV. Sitting on a Gen II/III/IV feels like straddling a barrel. On my Gen I, my legs feel like they are in their natural position. It's not a deal breaker, but it does affect a rider's ability to flat foot.

The heck of it is that IMHO the best toys are on the IV's. Gen I-III are good, but missing some important updates (yes, and have more fluff, darnit).

I’ve ridden just about everything over the last 50 years, and evolved several years ago to an’05 FJR. Sold it at 45k miles and bought a ‘14. 44k no problems. It’s for sale, as I just bought an ‘18 fresh out of the crate this last spring. Other than 2nd gear upgrades, etc., it’s flawless.
Put my Sargent seat and taller windscreen from ‘14 straight over to the’18.
Which 'taller windscreen' do you have? I've been looking at options, and want to pick the "right" one! My R1200RT had a tall enough shield that moved to the top in a storm would put most of the wet over the top of the helmet. The standard shield on the FJR has the wind hitting the middle of the helmet.

It's Christmas Eve. I've got the house to myself 'cause I'm recovering from a sinus infection and prefer to suffer in silence. At least this offers some context to my lengthy reply. I've had 3 FJRs over 10 years - that doesn't make me an expert, but I can share some relevant thoughts.

1. Coming from the O/R or D/S market, this bike is gonna be heavy. To be clear, it's heavy for ALL of us, but for you, it will feel like a Peterbilt that is missing 8 wheels. I think you should give this considerable thought because in the Sport Touring genre, the bike's weight is a top 3 consideration. And for some people, no matter how good the rest is, they just can't get comfortable throwing a big 'ole pig around. For comparison, the Versys 1000 is almost 100 pounds lighter, and it is definitely noticable.

2. IMNSHO, the other two top considerations for a sport touring motorcycle are: wind/weather protection and reliability. For me, who leans more toward the touring side of the hobby, this is critical. For wind/weather protection, the FJR shines in spades, but the Gen 3 and newer bike ('13 and up) does it better, thanks to key refinements in the bike and the aftermarket.

3. For reliability, well.... it hardly gets any better. There is a reason that the Iron Butt Association's biennial rally is ALWAYS littered with FJRs, including top finishers. And it's not because of it's 0-60 time. When you need a bike to run 1000-1500 miles a day for 11 STRAIGHT DAYS, you need a reliable bike. You need one that is simple in design. You need one that has been overwhelmingly unchanged through its 20 year lifespan. And you need a bike that has HUGE support in the way of parts and expertise for the few (VERY few) inherent shortcomings. This forum is that support - the peeps here are LONG time FJR riders. Not POSERS, riders. We've been all over this country (and the world) on this bike - some with 200,000 miles and still running. We know what goes wrong with this bike and can coach you through shoring up your bike BEFORE you get snake bit. This GREATLY reduces the chance that you will get stuck, but if you do, trust me, help is still not that far away. The network on this forum is priceless.

4. As for maintenance, I have a decent set of tools, but to be CRYSTAL clear, I'm a parts changers, NOT a mechanic. I've done all of the routine maintenance on my FJRs myself. At times, I've stubbed my toe, but again, the help on this forum is stupendous. The mechanically inclined members here are patient, descriptive, and can walk you through anything. And I mean, ANYTHING. One member here bought an FJR with an abused 1-2 shift fork. With NO prior experience, this forum coached him through the repair. Now - that involves splitting the engine cases and taking the bike basically down to its last bolt. That was several years ago, and that bike is still running like a spotted ape today. (long live Jolene!!)

5. If you can stretch your budget just a bit (go to $6 to $7K-ish), I think you will get a lot more for your money by going with a Gen 3 ('13, 14, or 15). You get a lot of refinements from the Gen 1/2 bike, and creature comforts like cruise control, engine maps, LED lighting, etc. If you find a '14 or '15 with electronic suspension, don't shy away from it - these have proven as reliable as the rest of the bike. However, aftermarket options for the E/S bike are very limited. If you are tinkerer and like to play "how can I make it better", then choose a non-electronic suspension bike.

6. All other things being equal, don't be afraid of buying a higher mileage bike that was cared for by a mature rider for less money. Again, the bike is so reliable - my current one has 82,000 miles on it and with the exception of routine maintenance, I've done NOTHING to it. Some might consider replacing the foot peg scrapers and rubber "non-maintenance", but hey, I wore 'em out the fun way!!

7. Might as well get this one out of the way: the FJR EATS tires. It eats them like potato chips. It's a 6-700 pound pig that packs 145 hp. If you use your right wrist, you will burn through tires. 6,000 miles out of a back tire, give or take - a little more out of the front. Trust me - I've been through every tire on the market (except dark siding). The FJR is non-discriminate - it eats ALL of them. If you wanna play, ya gotta pay.

8. If you are inclined to moto-camp, the FJR is a terrific platform to do this. Load her up for bear on the trip to the mountains. Then unload her and go have some fun in the twisties.

Hope this information is useful, but if not, I'll gladly refund your money....

Stay thirsty, my friends....
Sir you are a great writer!

Bought an '03 new, and subsequently 4 '04's. Five bikes, approx 500K miles. (sold one at 203K. 1 at 167K.. 1 clutch slave cylinder, 1 throttle position sensor, 1 cam chain tensioner total "issues") Did replace I think 2 rear shocks with used, low mileage take-off's. Same tall windshield on all 5 bikes. Oxford heated grips...easy install. Warm n Safe gloves and jacket. Aftermarket bar risers/pullback....easy install. Until COVID I regularly rode approx 7K miles across country the week after Labor Day every year.....300-1000K miles per day....stock seat and pushing 75 yrs young now. Most other riding is in the mountains (blue roads) of East TN & Western NC (results in pretty equal front/rear tire wear) 6'1", 170 lbs. Buy a cheap used bike, ride it a while, see if it "fits"....move up later if desired.....

Just bought an '07....still getting used to it. Ridden on Dunlop Roadsmarts for years and new bike has Michelin Pilots...totally different tires. (Dunlops are a stiff carcass, Michelins much more pliable..not the road feel I've become accustomed to...

New to the forum and thinking about getting a used sport-touring motorcycle in the spring. Hoping to tap into the wisdom of the forum to refine my search. Appreciate any advice you all have to offer.

A bit about me:
  • 51 years old with 30+ years of exclusively off-road and dual-sport motorcycle experience; dirt bikes with license plates so I don't have to trailer my bike from the cabin to the trail
  • I'm an ultra-endurance cyclist with a lot of long days in a bicycle saddle, so I think a long day on a touring motorcycle is something I might enjoy, also thinking of using the motorcycle to scout or pre-ride routes for my bicycle club
  • My youngest of four kids graduates High School this year so I think I may have a little more free time next summer
  • I don't see myself doing any multi-day tours, but I could imagine doing an overnight or day trip from my home in the Chicago suburbs to the driftless (southwestern Wisconsin, southeastern Minnesota, northeastern Iowa, northwestern Illinois) a few times a years which would be max 800 miles in weekend
  • My wife has no interest in sitting on the back of a motorcycle so it would be all one-up
  • I've become an ok home mechanic after fixing broken dirt bikes for years, so I want something I can work on myself for routine maintenance and most minor repairs
  • With a family and my other summer hobbies, I don't expect to ride the motorcycle more than a few thousand miles a year at the most, so I'd like to keep the cost down while still having a reliable bike
The FJR is at the top of my list, but I'm unsure about year and trim. I could afford a new bike if I wanted one, so budget isn't really an issue, but I want to keep the cost low for my first bike to see if I like it. I tend to keep bikes a long time, so I might not want to get one with the expectation of getting another one, which puts me at the option of getting something quite a bit older in the $4-5k range that I know will be a starter bike or going with something just a few years old that I expect to keep for a long time. I still have and ride a 2000 Honda XR400 that I bought new as my dad bike when my oldest kids (twins) were born, if that tells you anything about my tastes and how I maintain my equipment.
Just traded out of my '12 and loved every minute on that bike (45000 mi). All I had to add or change were Helibars to make me sit more upright; everything else was stock. I think a 12-14 could be had for around 5-7K. Never had one ounce of problems out of that bike. I truly believe in the "keep the oil fresh and its otherwise bulletproof". I just dont thi k you can go wrong with the FJR. Mine was a A version, 5 sp w heated grips which were stock in 2012

I am 57 years old and, with a few years off here and there, I have been riding since I was in 2nd grade.
MY first bike was a Yamaha 80 Enduro and my last bike (before my FJR) was a 1993 Gold Wing GL1500 Aspencade. I purchased it a few years ago with only 18K miles on it and sold it with only 21k miles because at 57 I still feel too young for a Wing.

I loved many things about the Gold Wing and I hated to let her go. I had on occasion been on her from 8 am to 8 pm only stopping for lunch. And, I often felt like I never left my couch. That said, I went on the hunt for a different bike to get just a bit more excitement out of my rides. The Wing accelerated nicely and handled fairly well (even on twisty roads). I may buy another in the future but I need just a bit more thrill right now.

I really had a hard time letting go of all the comfort; all the features; and the amazing wind protection that my wing provided. I could ride in 60-degree weather with a T-shirt. The radio was great and a Bluetooth cassette allowed me to connect my phone for GPS and Streaming music. I did have the original Intercom set still in the boxes but everyone seems to be going wireless now. I also had the bags that fit exactly in the side cases for easy packing. And, full-face helmet fit in the side case. Everything on my Wing worked as it should and the bike was very very clean. I refuse to settle for anything less in a motorcycle but I never by vehicles of any kind brand new. Still, people walked up to me at gas stations to tell me how great my Wing looked and everyone was surprised that it was built in 1993.

All that said, when I decided to change rides, I tested everything from Cruisers to a Tenere to a Versys to an Africa to a GT to a CTX to an NC to to to...

I narrowed my search to Sport Tour bikes, as nothing else seemed to be a good trade-off from the WIng. The first ride that almost got me was a VFR900 but it was just not comfortable enough - just a tiny bit too much sport and not enough tour. Then, I tried the Contour, the ST, and the FJR. Only the FJR struck all the right cords. I especially liked how easy it was to handle most of the common maintenance items. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I can handle oil changes and other consumables.

So... I finally sold my Old-Man Gold Wing and on 2021.10.30 I purchased a pristine 2014 FJR1300A with only 1838 miles on it for $9000 even. I trailered it home (about a 9 hours round trip) where I completed her first oil change, a final drive fluid change, and a gas tank drain and fill. All were quite easy. This FJR was nearly perfect. The only item that needed attention was a missing nut from one of the two left mirror mounting bolts inside the fairing. It seems this dealer assembled part has a nasty habit of vibrating loose or in my case vibrating off. So, for 40 cents and 20 minutes of labor, I replace the nut with one that won't vibrate loose. Otherwise, my FJR was/is in like-new condition. It also came with the taller touring windshield installed and the original sport windshield in the box. I ordered and installed a Misgel Ram Mount which installs where the two bolts hold the tank in place behind the handlebars and I got my phone/GPS mounted just the way I like it. No turning while steering. Nice.

Before winter arrived, I was able to move the odometer to about 2200 miles. I must say, she has a hard time letting me ride slow. I swear I am trying but she just won't let me. ~grin~

• I paid $9,000 and passed on a 2012 with only 1100 miles on it for $7900.
• I do sort of like the blue color of the 2012 but cruise control and other gen 3 enhancements are worth the extra few bucks.
• And, many say red is actually the fastest color. (couldn't help myself)
• 2013-2015 FJRs seem to be the sweet spot for used specimens. If you shop, you can find them with less than 5000 mi for under $10K.
• 2016 introduced 6th gear but many (including me) argue it is not necessary. It also came with some issues that resulted in recall work.
• Side note: I bought the Wing for $1500 and sold her for $3750. So, I really have the FJR for just $6750.

I resolved the missing radio issue by getting a Cardo Packtalk and it is an outstanding replacement for audio and comunications.
The protection of the touring windshield is also excellent.
The FJR also came with factory bags that fit exactly in the side cases and they are still in the plastic wrapper.
So, now people approach me at gas stations to tell me how great the FJR looks and everyone is surprised that I found a 2014 with so few miles.
I do so love a successful hunt.

Anyway, the Chicago area riding season is nearing again and I am stoked with frequent dreams of spring.
Good luck with your search.
If you are in the Chicago area, hit me up in spring, and let's ride.

I bought the identical bike about a year ago with 2800 miles, 800 miles from my home for 8k. I did a fly & drive because the guy who owned it was meticulous about servicing his bike. When I got there, the bike was sitting on a white piece of carpeting in his garage. There wasn't a spec of dust on it. He also through in a leather jackets, a mesh jacket, two helmets (Shoei and an Aria , and four pairs of riding gloves. A week later he mailed me the battery charger that he wanted me to have. I love the bike and it handled the 800 miles flawlessly even though I had 35 mph winds with 65 mph gust all the way home. I have owned many bikes in my 60 years including a wing but this is my favorite so far. Congrats on your purchase!

I have been retired since 2011 but if I was still in charge of the motor fleet, I would buy the FJR-P in a heart beat over any other bike. The BMW's cost a fortune to maintain and parts are never available, the ST1300 is a great bike but it is dated (no electronic suspension, sport mode, etc) and the Harley tac's out too quickly to make it a safe and effective radar enforcement bike and initial purchase, parts, and service is expensive.

I have been retired since 2011 but if I was still in charge of the motor fleet, I would buy the FJR-P in a heart beat over any other bike. The BMW's cost a fortune to maintain and parts are never available, the ST1300 is a great bike but it is dated (no electronic suspension, sport mode, etc) and the Harley tac's out too quickly to make it a safe and effective radar enforcement bike and initial purchase, parts, and service is expensive.
The FJR-P doesn't have the electronic suspension either...
I love the FJR in white. The narrower "city bags", the radio/electronics box and the crash bars are great as well - for a personal bike as well as a police vehicle.