Seeking opinions/experiences of top box use with panniers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 86528

Reaction score
As per the title. I'm going on a European trip in a few months time and will be riding at speeds in excess of 100mph for long stretches on the German Autobahns. I'll be riding solo. Apparently, use of the top box with the panniers makes this bike unstable/unsafe at speed. What's everyone's opinion or experience with that?

I find that my FJR becomes less stable when I have the top case in place. At speeds around 130 km/h or more, I can feel a wobble (the bike goes left to right constantly). I actually prefer to use just the side cases when I know I will be traveling at higher speeds. My OEM top case has also the common cracks around the bottom steel plate (never overloaded). I can't comment for the other brands of top cases.

A tailbag on the pilon seat may not impact high speed stability so much and also wouldn't be subject to the low weight limit of the top box.

If you put a bag of some type on the pillion seat to fill the gap you will get much less moving around. I've had mine at elevated speed for long periods without problems with my fuel cell taking up space behind me.

Most times I don't even know the box is back there. Never cruised at those speeds for extended periods of time but I have taken advantage of our high speed limits in Texas...and short blasts into your target cruise range.

I've cruised at "reasonable and prudent" speeds for hours on end with the top box and side bags on. I'm still alive.

If you put a bag of some type on the pillion seat to fill the gap you will get much less moving around. I've had mine at elevated speed for long periods without problems with my fuel cell taking up space behind me.
This actually very works well. I ran fully loaded, pillion seat included, at 145 before getting a wobble. I backed down to a sustained 135 without issues. Of course this was on a closed course with a professional rider
rolleyes.gif

X2. Its amazing how much smoother the bike is at speeds above 80mph with something taking up the space of a passenger.

My experience is 130mph is about the limit, above that can be a little spooky. 120, no problem. this on superior Gen1, AK20's, Penske, newer PR3's. With stock 17k mi suspension I would hesitate to do 120 bagless or otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
have reached 125mph myself riding solo on a stock 2008 bike with full stock luggage (top box included)....straight as an arrow....However I would think that the topbox would be better removed for those speed levels....No bike I think should be ridden solo with a top box at those speeds. the aerodynamic effects are just too strong...

I could see what's IN the top box also being a factor here. More weight in high and way back where the box is could compromise stability. Also what windshield and other stuff that affects airflow.

I agree putting a bag of some kind on the pillion could be a good move, keeping airflow from gathering behind the rider and helping to keep the front surface of the top box out of the equation.

I've not yet had occasion to run my Givi-equipped FJR up to those kinds of speeds, but up to 90 it seems OK so far.

I've ridden with top box and side bags at sustained high speed, with and without a passenger. No problems for me in either situation; however, I agree with others that without a passenger is less stable and not ideal, especially with cross wind.

X2. Its amazing how much smoother the bike is at speeds above 80mph with something taking up the space of a passenger.
My experience mirrors this as well. Only at very elevated speeds (on a closed track!) does the trunk make itself known.

YMMV

--G

Givi E55. A little "tail wagging dog" feel as the speed goes up but nothing alarming. I also notice some difference between my CB 4+2 flip shield and my 15" shorty. The shorty offering less wiggle. It makes sense to fill in the gap between you and box as others noted. Have a great trip.
smile.png

Not the best picture, but I suspect many of you knew this guy. He rode his 06 often with a Givi top case, panniers and a Pelican cas full of tools on the back seat at quite high speeds. This is him leaving Fairbanks on a 5600 mile ride during which he averaged 65 MPH. That includes about 9 hours of non-moving time and required riding at speeds of near 100 MPH for extended periods. He never indicated a problem with a wobble.

P6060009.jpg

Well, thanks for all your input on this. Firstly, I think use my top box but I'll keep my speed down to around the 100mph mark and secondly I'll also take my 30ltr tail pack on the pillion seat to break up the airflow. Lightest luggage will be in the top box anyway. Maybe I'll do a few fully loaded dry test runs before I set of to see how it handles.

Well, thanks for all your input on this. Firstly, I think use my top box but I'll keep my speed down to around the 100mph mark and secondly I'll also take my 30ltr tail pack on the pillion seat to break up the airflow. Lightest luggage will be in the top box anyway. Maybe I'll do a few fully loaded dry test runs before I set of to see how it handles.
Enjoy your trip.
Don't forget to keep an eye on your fuel gauge, you will be gulping fuel at these speeds.

And don't forget to report back on how it went.

In my experience with the Autobahn (Frankfurt <--> Munchen and around there), it's not typical to ride that fast for very long.

We had a little 1.3L Mini Cooper that maxed out at 170 km/h (105 mph) which was dead stable at that speed, and much more relaxed than any motorcycle. But we were being passed by the big BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes. In turn we passed nearly every motorcycle out there, lots of BMW's and Gold Wings going about 75mph capable of going much faster but they chose not to. I specifically recalled passed an R1, then a few minutes later he passed us like we were sitting still, and then we passed them again in a few miles.

There are speed limits on some sections, you will hit traffic that will slow you down, and other times the left-most lane will be too fast and the second-left-most-lane will be less than 100mph. 100mph is fast but there will be many cages eager to go faster and in the left-most-lane you'll be watching your mirrors when you should be watching what's in front. Unlike Nevada or the midwest we're not talking about long straight stretches highway with no traffic and no trees and no animals. It gets tiring when all your senses are notched up a bit, you're processing everything faster, wondering if the tires are dissipating heat fast enough, check your engine temp, additional neck strain and noise from the wind, etc.

While you don't have to worry about LEO's, there are lots of other factors. It is fun for a while exercising the bike and listening to the engine hum along and then it's nice to be going just a little slower and more relaxed and enjoying the trip. You'll eventually settle into a speed that's comfortable for you, your bike, and the environment, and I'm going to guess it's less than 100 mph.

I bet what's going to be more fun is where you're going to / from on the Autobahn. That's where you'll enjoy not having a heavy top-case to affect your front tire grip. This is the main reason to load all the heavy stuff on your pillion seat, or better yet in your tankbag.

The only time I use my topbox I put a Nelson RiggPak Dayrunner CTB-350 on the passenger seat. Helps a lot with the parachute effect even at 60-80 mph, definitely a necessity (to me) above 80. The pak is great for heavier stuff you don't want way back in the trunk too since it's on the seat. Comes with the raincover and it's the right width and height to do what I need.

DSCN3525_zpsd304e969.jpg

Latest posts