Seen on the road, ATTGAT from the waist up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can feel the flames already, but here goes. IMO it's a process getting geared up properly for safety. I wonder how many folks on this site started wearing ATGATT when they first started riding from day one. Many of us older metric riders didn't get into buying leathers because of the Harley crowd and in the 70's there just wasn't the gear that is available today. I'm sure that some of us want more gear (I do), but haven't got the funds to get everything we want. So I think that it might be more helpful to encourage people and at least recognize that wearing partial gear is better than nothing.

Wearing ATGATT on a motorcycle provides an illusion of safety to the rider. The only real safety is to not ride at all.

<dogpile>Friday!! :yahoo:

Every time I see someone in flip flops and shorts on a motorcycle I can only think "now there is somebody that has never hit the road or dealt with roadrash". If they had ever had to feel the pain then they would know, but untill then they can continue to think it will never happen to them. In the end there really are two kinds of bike riders, those who have and those who will hit the ground. The odds are against someone going an entire riding career and not haveing something bad happen. I personaly learned my lesson 31 years ago and paid for that education with skin off of the right side of my back (seems I was wearing the less than protective tank top) Anyways sometimes people gotta learn the hardway, lessons paid for in skin really are expensive and usually not forgotten.

Reddog :coolsmiley:

I'll admit to sometimes - rarely - running the KLR to the hardware store in shorts & T-shirt when I need a part quick. Straight shot and a bit under 3 miles each way on a relatively quiet and slow 2 lane. But that's about the limit of my risk tolerance and I'm self conscious as heck every time. I did it on the Feej and it was just too weird.

It just tears me up though to see kids show bare skin, though. Especially unknowing pretty passengers who trust a young man. But they are the ones who will say something like "Look, a Power Ranger" if you walk into a McDonalds ATGATT.

My answer to "Power Ranger" is "I'd rather be a Power Ranger than a mummy" and show then the scrape marks on my jacket sleeve and shoulder.

And worse, almost every time I have to explain that "mummy" means being wrapped in bandages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts