Seen the dark at the end of the tunnel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
I believe I'm losing my Motorcycle Jones. Lately I take no pleasure in riding, and going out on weekends does not interest me at all. In fact if someone were to offer to buy it from me right now for what I paid for it, I'd be very tempted to take it.

I think the reasons are myriad, and include concern about the increasing level of risk with all the distractions drivers have, combined with an emerging sense that riding around on a gee-whiz vehicle for pleasure is not the best use of my time, when I could be painting or writing or being with family. But most of all I think commuting has killed it.

JB

Hans, you are certainly our good friend no matter what you decide to do: You have to be comfortable in your own skin! I just don't know what to say one way or the other, I am 63 and started street motorcycle riding when I was 15; I have never known living my life other than being a Motorcyclist! My only fear in this world is the day I physically cannot ride a moto. Peace Be With You, Brother!

Last edited by a moderator:
If commuting is the downer, why not try touring on the weekends instead? Out in the hinterland? You've got zillions of miles of paved, low traffic roads around your house, I've ridden most of them. Forget the scoot as a tool for work travel and instead use it as a method to escape the drudgery of the daily grind?

Change your focus of why you ride.

Edit: I'd LOVE to have to commute where you are, try Hootin' with the same distractions but no lane splitting. I did nothing but ride my bike to work in El Lay

Dude...Do what makes you happy. If I was living where I grew up, I'd spend way more time on my horse than on my bike. The motorcycle simply fills a void for many of us. I love it, but I think I could replace it with something else if I had to.

If you'd rather write, paint, or do things with your family, sell that bad-boy. There's other shit in life besides motorcycles.

I am finding myself with the same sentiments. However not about the bike, but about my boat. I've had a boat to use since I was 12 years old. Have spent a good share of my life on the water, but since buying the FJR, the boat sits a lot. Until recently, I never even considered that I could even live without a boat.

Things change, our priorities, our dislikes and likes. There is no right or wrong, whatever makes you good. If you do move on, you have made this collective better. Thanks.

I don't commute and I don't have anywhere near the traffic you deal with.

And I love riding motorcycles.

Keep it special. Like painting or writing...

I think your observation that "commuting killed your desire to ride is" spot on. Too much of a good thing has spoiled alot of us for different things they used to do for enjoyment. I compete in BBQ competitions, like you see on TV, and was pretty good at it. so I started to compete almost every weekend all over the southwest, and it just flat out burned me out. I could see riding everyday to work would associate riding with work and thus "No Fucking Fun". Enjoy whatever you choose to replace riding with. Remember "We're not her for a long time, we're here for a good time!

I'd like to add they where we ride directly translates into riding enjoyment. If I lived in a highly populated areas like Phoenix, Houston, NY or San Fran in your case, I wouldn't own an FJR and I wouldn't be riding, but in Newer Mexico, I can be all alone on the road in less the 20min from Albuquerque, ride all day in peaceful scenery, and retun home with very little hassel. "Still very fucking Fun" :rolleyes:

Hi JB, Commuting can kill the joy of riding for some of us. It did for me. I rode from 1971 to 1986.

In 83 I built the home of my dreams but in order to afford it the commute was 50 miles one way.

While not exactly like your situation in the bay area it still boiled down to it just wasn't fun any more.

Fast forward 2005 bought a bike for pleasure and still riding and put more miles on each year.

There are tons of people that can commute and still ride for pleasure. I am not one of them.

I saw the vid on your commute and you certainly have skills. I assume you challenged yourself

to be the best rider you can be. But that commute is, IMHO too much to deal with on a daily basis.

Is there anyway you can justify keeping a bike for pleasure riding? Good luck.

Dave

If all I did on the bike was commute...I wouldn't own a bike either.

However, I cannot live without my FJR trips...they breathe life into me.

If you have something else besides bikes that breathe that life into you...then go for it...and don't sweat it for a minute.

I found myself feeling about skiing, as you are about riding. Last year, I had a season pass and never went. Pretty weird for a guy with the handle "Cirquerider" and with an executive position on a website about skiing. I would look for excuses not to go. The real reasons were that I can't physically do what I used to do on skis, and frankly, given what I can do, I've lost my "jones" for the game. I have some obligations this year for skiing, and I'm trying to keep from feeling obligated, and instead try to enjoy it. I remain in as much quandary about this former passion, as you are with regard to riding.

So I don't have an answer. Sometimes when Saturday comes, it feels better to roll over and squeeze fang, than the throttle. Maybe painting and writing are what fills your soul now.

Park it. Ride when the spirit moves you. Consider a longer trip or a weekend with friends, or even a different ride may make you feel differently than the routine. My observation could be wrong, but it seems you have not committed to a longer ride recently, except for the purchase trip. It's almost time again for Birds, Beans and Pierstadt, Hope to see you soon...

I got my bike for the enjoyment of riding and I keep my bike because that has worked for me.

J.B. maybe left for a while your bike will become that enjoyment again.

best regards

Surly

:ph34r:

Hey, if you are not enjoying the ride more than something else, then park the bike and do the 'something else'. Don't sell it until you have allowed it to sit a while so you know for sure that you are no longer interested.

I believe I'm losing my Motorcycle Jones. Lately I take no pleasure in riding, and going out on weekends does not interest me at all. In fact if someone were to offer to buy it from me right now for what I paid for it, I'd be very tempted to take it.

I think the reasons are myriad, and include concern about the increasing level of risk with all the distractions drivers have, combined with an emerging sense that riding around on a gee-whiz vehicle for pleasure is not the best use of my time, when I could be painting or writing or being with family. But most of all I think commuting has killed it.

JB
There are phases in life in which we all go through. I had a few boats for about 10 years and fished all hrs of the day and night. The last boat we did water skiing and the kids just lost interest after a few years. I very seldom fish anymore and have no interest in picking up the poles and doing so again. I think I burned myself out fishing to be honest.

I commute most ever day and even road home in the rain today. Fortunately I have a nice commute through lakes and moderate speeds and twisty's. In fact it is pretty much the best part of my day except for the rare occasional ass hat. I don't ride much around the area since I have pretty much explored most of the roads around. I love the extended trips to hither lands and beyond the best and meeting new folks. I can see your point of view and wish you the best in your decision making. Remember you can always come here and harass us occasionally.

Besides I need someone to help me with my grammatical errors. ;)

I wish you all the best!

Dave

I think we all at some point "lose" the mojo.. I suspect a number of factors contribute and conspire against us at the "wrong" time.

Prior to owning this bike 20- 30K a year was my norm. However something about this bike has caused that to drop considerably.

I dunno maybe FJR is bad juju fer me as I've had one heart attack, two bone brakes, and 5 herniated disks since I bought the darn thing.

I'm beginning to think the combination of those three letters aren't a good thing for me. :huh: I put on more miles this year on this bike than any of the past 4 thanks to nothing falling apart on me for a change.

I think we all go through this Hans, but it believe when it happens and where we are in life factors in whether we continue riding or not.

Best of luck either way you go Hans. Ya know your not getting outa this place regardless. ;)

JB, it's been said I think above - but do what you gotta do. Butt - think about just parking it until spring or whatever and go back out, do some cool roads, meet some new and old friends. If the mojo ain't workin' for ya, then sell it, butt give it some time!

Mayhaps I need to shoot out there, meet up, and go for a ride? I'll do it, really, I will!

I hear ya tho on the commuting, there's some real A-HOLES in them friggin' cages!