Seen the dark at the end of the tunnel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another clue for you all

(especially Hans)

No matter where you go, there you are...

Hans, honestly, do you see where I'm going with this?
Um, I think I'd like to buy a vowel... :huh:
Hans, make it an "Oh". I'm playing along with the home game.

As for intellectualizeintilectualize as a defense mechanism. Feel what you need, then do it. In other words, "Feel the force, Luke!" If that isn't clear enough, do what other real men do: scratch balls, eat, have sex, sleep, fart, work, crap, play, then decide if you want to ride. Repeat until feelings return.

Wow...I was the same about motorcycles awhile ago. Gave them up completely to learn to fly. Owned a plane, even moved to a fly-in community. I LOVED it, still do in many ways, but owning a plane makes owning a boat look cheap. Also, it was not good for just afternoon dinking around on a nice afternoon (at least not my plane and I could not afford more than one) and one does not hang out with the plane like a boat or even bikes. It was more of a tool for getting from point a to b easier (and fun!).

I have since sold the plane, the house is up for sale, and I am back on a bike, have not even been up in a plane in almost a year. I cannot believe how much I missed riding! The sights, the sounds, the smells oen gets from riding a bike. I also can toss a leg over it and go for a quick 45 minute ride to relax or do a 4-5 day ride for fun and adventure.

Of course commuting would kill it for me....I know that is what happened and why I sold it. Now that I am back I have another problem, I need two more bikes in the stable...and cruiser and an adventure-tourer like a GS! LOL

Hans...life is about what is important to you, not anyone else but I agree with what many have said, stop the commuting for awhile, make riding the bike FUN again!

Long time riders, those who have ridden for 20+, 30+, 50+ and longer years all understand certain unalienable facts.

Some riders, they just get it, it's a gut, visceral understanding. Easy.

Others, they think, analyze, render.

Input and output, algorithms and logic, 1's on 0's.

Compute, compute.

Not so easy.

Some very lucky peeps, I would like to think I'm one, are smack dab 'tweeners - between the two extremes.

But I digress.

Where are you on this continuum?

Hans,

Riding bikes is like entering into a relationship with the most fickle entity in the world.

Why?

Because it's all in YOUR head.

No matter where you go, there you are - for good or bad. When 16, and my 'love of life' and I were having issues, I rode a Honda CB750 as far as I could go. And ended up with no memory of how, or why, I ended up in East Colorado. Incredible discovery for a very young, non-thinking peep. Staggering, actually.

You have mastered certain motorcycle skill sets.

You commute in densely populated areas like a mad man.

..and it has made you mad, diluted the joy of riding.

To contrast, have you ever explored a cow trail in the Rockies to see where it ended?

Or used your motobike to challenge your mental and psychical being to experience life as you've not known it before?

So many motobike venues..

and why I have such a diverse stable.

Somedays, the FJR doesn't scratch the performance itch and I long for a Duc or Aprilla.

Other days, the old, reliable, wonderful HD relieves the long ray sunlight afternoon itch.

..and other days, the fierce, angry, fuck the world itch arrives and only a high performance dirt bike, with power you can't even imagine, traction beyond belief, and freedom from gravity, takes over. Sadly, this element is starting to fail me as I age.. But I can still scratch the itch, time to time, for a shorter duration than back in the day. But, I can still scratch the itch.

So, my friend, try a new element of motobikes..

Sure, you can split lanes like a madman, but?

Why?

So many other riding opportunities exist that won't get your blood pressure up to unsafe conditions and/or challenge your worldy existence.

You really should try some.

Come on out the Hondarosa and I'll let you ride a 14 year old dirt bike that will make you say 'Oh Crap, that was FUN!'

wow, I've been on the podium for awhile with this post..

:p

I've given many clues...

and have more to offer.
Thanks, Don, for the advice and the offer. Let's try to get together in the new year for a PBD ride (philosophy, beer, and dirt). :friends: