Seen the dark at the end of the tunnel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hans,

I agree. Commuting in these big urban areas adds a lot of risk to the ride. I just ride for fun mostly weekends these days. It is totally enjoyable,relaxing. These Denver drivers are on any device they can get there hands on and driving is secondary. I know we don't have the traffic like Cali,NY or DC would have. Good luck on your decision.

Hans,

I think your whole bike mojo problem is that you live in the temperate climate of California, and therefore you can ride every day (even if you don't, you could).

What you need to do is live someplace where there are four actual seasons, one of which is winter. You know... the one with snow and ice and stuff, where you are denied even the remotest possibility of riding for several contiguous months. :glare: There's nothing like the anticipation, and finally, consummation of the first ride of each spring season to re-awaken your inner moto desire.

Of course you could have one of your "friends" break one of your legs or something that makes it impossible for you to ride for a while and get a similar effect. But you probably wouldn't want to do that on an annual basis. ;)

I had a similar sentiment a while back. Cutting out the number of commuting miles helped more than I thought it would. I used to pride myself on commuting on the motorcycle regardless of weather, but it wears you out fast, and then riding is more of a chore than enjoyment. Now I don't feel bad at all taking the truck, and the times I do ride are a treat again.

Cut the commute, take a day or two of just riding great roads, and I think you'll find your happy place again :D

Here is another clue for you all

(especially Hans)

No matter where you go, there you are...

Hans, honestly, do you see where I'm going with this?

Don WTF are you smoking these days?????????

R
Haven't you been reading the news? They grow some mean Mota up in those Kali hills! But I don't know if it's the Mota, or too many dead brain cells, or just plain mental illness.

But most of all I think commuting has killed it.
It sure would for me, especially in the kind of traffic you navigate every day. Sorry to hear you're trending deeper in the direction of walking away, Hans.

As for me, I may have too many competing hobbies/interests. So the bike(s) sometimes sit unridden for weeks. But they're paid for and I only use them for fun, or for when I NEED the pleasure sense break they give me. And while I have ridden motorcycles to work, it's seldom been for extended periods -- 7 months was maybe the longest, and even then, that was a pretty nice ride to a rocket engine test facility on lightly traveled twisty roads. I'm afraid I wouldn't have lasted as long as you have commuting in a major metro area on a daily basis. I don't spend much time thinking about risk beyond the desire to be expert at managing those things that might otherwise be risky, but again -- doing what you do daily on your commutes might very well affect my thoughts on risk and my desire to ride like it has you.

Like others here, I'd suggest that you drive or use mass transit to commute, and let the bike sit for months if need be (on a battery tender), and take it out when you need to feel something different again. Use it for a weekend ride, a trip to the beach, to the Sierras over on this side of the valley or to an FJR meet far away where you can shamelessly join in the brazen debauchery with this group of adult delinquents of which you've become a part. Do what you think you need to, but I hope you'll give the bike a chance once you purge that gawd-awful commuting crap outta the synapses. Get your testicles brass plated, hang them on a plaque memorializing the years and miles of Bay Area motorcycle commuting, put Fang in charge of guarding the trophy, and save the bike for pleasure riding with the rest of us -- you've earned it, and you won't be the only one riding without yer balls. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don WTF are you smoking these days?????????

R
Haven't you been reading the news? They grow some mean Mota up in those Kali hills! But I don't know if it's the Mota, or too many dead brain cells, or just plain mental illness.
Or a combination... :unsure:
Hey Carver, can you sell me three ounces of that Creston Chronic Cannabis you have been growing and smoking down on the Honderosa? Also, do you have any of those magic Psilocybin mushrooms that you can spare for sale? Check is in the mail and like usual mail it to SkooterG's address and I will pick the stash up there!

Here is another clue for you all

(especially Hans)

No matter where you go, there you are...

Hans, honestly, do you see where I'm going with this?
Um, I think I'd like to buy a vowel... :huh:
Dear Barry, Hans, Ray, Greg, Richard, Tyler and Others: It's been 4 days now, has anybody yet gotten any fucking idea what our Carver is up to? He's a Damn Lunatic!

Dear Barry, Hans, Ray, Greg, Richard, Tyler and Others: It's been 4 days now, has anybody yet gotten any fucking idea what our Carver is up to? He's a Damn Lunatic!
I think he was sniffing the old gas from the KZ1300. :wacko:

Long time riders, those who have ridden for 20+, 30+, 50+ and longer years all understand certain unalienable facts.

Some riders, they just get it, it's a gut, visceral understanding. Easy.

Others, they think, analyze, render.

Input and output, algorithms and logic, 1's on 0's.

Compute, compute.

Not so easy.

Some very lucky peeps, I would like to think I'm one, are smack dab 'tweeners - between the two extremes.

But I digress.

Where are you on this continuum?

Hans,

Riding bikes is like entering into a relationship with the most fickle entity in the world.

Why?

Because it's all in YOUR head.

No matter where you go, there you are - for good or bad. When 16, and my 'love of life' and I were having issues, I rode a Honda CB750 as far as I could go. And ended up with no memory of how, or why, I ended up in East Colorado. Incredible discovery for a very young, non-thinking peep. Staggering, actually.

You have mastered certain motorcycle skill sets.

You commute in densely populated areas like a mad man.

..and it has made you mad, diluted the joy of riding.

To contrast, have you ever explored a cow trail in the Rockies to see where it ended?

Or used your motobike to challenge your mental and psychical being to experience life as you've not known it before?

So many motobike venues..

and why I have such a diverse stable.

Somedays, the FJR doesn't scratch the performance itch and I long for a Duc or Aprilla.

Other days, the old, reliable, wonderful HD relieves the long ray sunlight afternoon itch.

..and other days, the fierce, angry, fuck the world itch arrives and only a high performance dirt bike, with power you can't even imagine, traction beyond belief, and freedom from gravity, takes over. Sadly, this element is starting to fail me as I age.. But I can still scratch the itch, time to time, for a shorter duration than back in the day. But, I can still scratch the itch.

So, my friend, try a new element of motobikes..

Sure, you can split lanes like a madman, but?

Why?

So many other riding opportunities exist that won't get your blood pressure up to unsafe conditions and/or challenge your worldy existence.

You really should try some.

Come on out the Hondarosa and I'll let you ride a 14 year old dirt bike that will make you say 'Oh Crap, that was FUN!'

wow, I've been on the podium for awhile with this post..

:p

I've given many clues...

and have more to offer.

Long time riders, those who have ridden for 20+, 30+, 50+ and longer years all understand certain unalienable facts.

Blah, blah blah

I've given many clues...

and have more to offer.
Just like a woman, can't just come out and say what he's thinking.

Blah, blah blah

I've given many clues...

and have more to offer.
dcarver is a woman?!?!? Holy estrogen, Batman!! That's one helluva disguise... :eek:

Blah, blah blah

I've given many clues...

and have more to offer.
dcarver is a woman?!?!? Holy estrogen, Batman!! That's one helluva disguise... :eek:
dcarver, thanks for mailing me the pot and shrooms! Say, can you spare any tabs of Purple Owlsley LSD? Obviously from your posts you're still dropping acid, thanks!

"Dark at the end of the Tunnel"?

Just sit awhile..................the sun should be up soon.

Latest posts