Select a shock for me, please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
I'm looking for a replacement shock for my 2008.  I'd like to keep it below $600 if possible.  I ride solo 95-99% of the time, so I don't need a hydraulic preload adjuster.  While I do ride "somewhat aggressively", it's nowhere near how I rode my R1 and R6, so I'm not after a top tier racing shock.

I was looking at a TFX from Ted's Beemer Shop, but wanted to see what you guys had to say.  FWIW, I have a Gen III shock on it now, and it's OK, but it still feels a bit soft.  For the record, I'm 225-230 without gear, and when I ride I normally take my Givi top case.

Thanks for all that you can offer.

This is going to be a shameless plug for the Ohlins YA-707. First I'd like to state that the Ohlins is a top notch shock, I've ran the one I have on my 07 for 70,000 miles. It's been refreshed three times as I tend to run it hard even pulling a Bushtec trailer at times! I have another almost new one for sale sprung for your weight.

This link is to my for sale post and also the post I bought it from.

Good luck whatever your decision, Pan.

Ohlins YA-707 for sale.

I bought the Hagen from England.  $535.00 shipped to my house.  Sprung for my weight and anticipated full load.  Hydraulic Pre-load adjuster, 2 year warranty, re-buildable.

Shock performs beautifully.  A ton better than stock.

You have to buy it from England as they do not sell in the US any more.

I have a thread on here somewhere with details.

there's a penske shock on ebay right now for $333 and it looks OK.  I have the double adjustable one on my FJR and had one just like the ebay one on my FZ1.

Great shocks, and will probably keep buying those from here on out.  I get mine refreshed by the guys at Traxxion and they seem to be pretty good.

I considered the Penske.  Be advised that there have been a couple that have broken the lower clevis - this of course is potentially dangerous.  The broken clevis was attributed to using the wrong hardware in the lower mount (the Penske takes a special bolt, IIRC).

In the end, I made my decision based on price - at the time, there was not a used one to be found.

I bought the Hagen from England.  $535.00 shipped to my house.  Sprung for my weight and anticipated full load.  Hydraulic Pre-load adjuster, 2 year warranty, re-buildable.

On Pants review, I too bought a Hagen and am very happy so far. Fast turn around time for being shipped from the UK

How is the spring?  I heard that some guys were getting shocks from Wilburs, and despite giving them their weight, riding style, and amount of cargo they carry, the shocks they got were still sprung way too soft.  They had to send them back for new springs and to have the valving adjusted. 

Spring is great for me as I had it set up for two with luggage, but I have yet to have the wife on with me, that aspect is still TBD

The spring is exactly as I requested it. The range of preload is 80 kg. (About 175 pounds). So I had the shock spring for no preload when I’m by myself and no bags, and all preload loaded with camping gear and top box. 

Works great. 

How is the spring?  I heard that some guys were getting shocks from Wilburs, and despite giving them their weight, riding style, and amount of cargo they carry, the shocks they got were still sprung way too soft.  They had to send them back for new springs and to have the valving adjusted. 
Dun got me a Wilbers from Ted Porter's Beemer Shop 'bout 8 years ago, 'n really like it. I'm kinda a sporty type rider, 'n this thing works great for me @ about 190 lbs before gear. Think it was around $900 back then. That Hagen sounds like the way to go though. Here's a $600 Ohlins.

As I've offered info here in the past, in 2013 I bought a HyperPro (Netherlands origin) through EMP (Klaus Heinecke) in New Jersey. 

https://epmperf.com/hyperpro-high-performance-motorcycle-suspension/

They tailor the spring to the weight of you and your passenger, and the package I bought included their high speed / low speed tunable damper assembly, + a remote preload adjuster knob.

Took me about 1 hr to install myself - very straight forward on the Ye Olde Gen1.

Cost about $1000 US back then, and within the first 5 years of use, that New Jersey company offers a free rebuild - you just have to pay for shipping each way.

what deliverance boy said.^^^...I paid @  $800 clams for the Wilbers...[no hydraulic preload adj.] ... transformed the scoot.

Wilbers here too through the original FJRForum Group Buy that Warchild set up.  Spring settings (Euro preferences) can sometimes be a little soft for us 'Mericans so it became common for people to step up their spring 1 rating.

But anything from Wilbers, Works, Ohlins, and a few others are as good (or better) based on your budget. I'm still hesitant about Penske because of how they dragged their feet on responding with anything more than an exact replacement for the clevis that had already shown itself to be the weakness of the design.