Sending a custom route to an Android phone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harper

Which side is the brake on?
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Seattle, WA : floating down the atmospheric river
I've been trying to transfer a custom route made on either Google Maps or Google My Maps to an Android phone using embedded map links and the "send to my phone" feature. Searching the innerweb I see discussions of this topic running over the last 12 years without Google ever doing anything about it. There are requests for this feature from bicyclists and motorcyclists but they are apparently a small fraction of Google's map using market. There are ways to "almost" do it but they're all hokey, don't work, or require constant interaction while riding. Does anyone know how to do this? Is there another desktop mapping program and Android app that can be used? Thanks, oh holy people of motorcycle routing.

The transfer to phone "feature" for Google Maps sucks! You get the start and the end and the "best" route in between. Waypoints are ignored. This SHOULD work and I have no idea why Google hasn't done anything about it. When I send a link with a Google map to anyone (or post in a forum), I tell them not to open on a mobile device. One great reason to do all your mapping using Basecamp and Garmin navigator. Google maps is easy to use and everyone has it. Just wish it worked better transferring complex routes into mobile.

Wondering how Kurviger or Waze would work? I have tried these but never transferring routes...

If you create the route in google maps and share the map to your phone number, you will recieve a long text with all the turn by turns. At the bottom of text will be a link. Click on the link and it will open in google maps. Once opened, you may have to edit stops, then add to home screen. You can then create a folder for the rides your making. Drag them all in there and name as appropriate. I then make room on the front page and drag that folder to front page so it is easily accessible. Only hitch is if you are making routes that start and end at your home, they will all have the same name. I don't think you can rename them. Used this when I had a group come to my place and I set up 5 or 6 rides to and from my home. Pretty easy. Harder to describe than perform once you make the routes. Google maps has a limit of 8 waypoints, just means you may need to break them up into multiple routes if more are needed.

If you create the route in google maps and share the map to your phone number, you will recieve a long text with all the turn by turns. At the bottom of text will be a link. Click on the link and it will open in google maps. Once opened, you may have to edit stops, then add to home screen. You can then create a folder for the rides your making. Drag them all in there and name as appropriate. I then make room on the front page and drag that folder to front page so it is easily accessible. Only hitch is if you are making routes that start and end at your home, they will all have the same name. I don't think you can rename them. Used this when I had a group come to my place and I set up 5 or 6 rides to and from my home. Pretty easy. Harder to describe than perform once you make the routes. Google maps has a limit of 8 waypoints, just means you may need to break them up into multiple routes if more are needed.

I have tried opening the text stream as well but Google Maps has already rerouted the turn-by-turn directions. It's useless for what I want to do. I was just wondering if others knew of a desktop mapping program (Google or any other) that can successfully transfer a custom route to some Android navigation app (Google or any other). When Google talks to itself across this transfer it wipes out custom routes and replaces it with the fastest route.

I have tried opening the text stream as well but Google Maps has already rerouted the turn-by-turn directions. It's useless for what I want to do. I was just wondering if others knew of a desktop mapping program (Google or any other) that can successfully transfer a custom route to some Android navigation app (Google or any other). When Google talks to itself across this transfer it wipes out custom routes and replaces it with the fastest route.
Did you try Kurviger?

Did you try Kurviger?

Thanks for the tip. I found the Kurviger website, joined up, and plotted a route. I downloaded the Kurviger Android app. I sent my *.gpx route from the Kurviger website to My Google Drive. I imported the route to the Android app and the route appeared in the app intact and without destroying all the turn-by-turn instructions. But I don't see how to start the navigation app and make it talk to me. Where do I do that on the Android app?

Edit: Oh, I see. You have to pay for that privilege. $10 per year. Is it worth it? I guess all the ads go away as well?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I found the Kurviger website, joined up, and plotted a route. I downloaded the Kurviger Android app. I sent my *.gpx route from the Kurviger website to My Google Drive. I imported the route to the Android app and the route appeared in the app intact and without destroying all the turn-by-turn instructions. But I don't see how to start the navigation app and make it talk to me. Where do I do that on the Android app?

Edit: Oh, I see. You have to pay for that privilege. $10 per year. Is it worth it? I guess all the ads go away as well?
I downloaded it and played a bit on the computer as well as on the phone. Seems quite capable for routing - at least on the computer. Didn't get the paid version. I think dcarver has used it a bit...

Hey harper, for about 8 years now, I have been happily planning my longer roadtrips on my computer with GoogleMaps. It has offered us up to 10 layers (you can enable/disable viewing in your browser's private session), and when I am satisfied with how I want the route to direct me, I have exported that map as a KML file to a site like GPS Visualizer - and then had that site convert my KML to a .GPX file.

I have been using OSMAnd+ on my Android phones and a couple GPS-enabled Android tablets (real GPS, not dependent upon cell network access). I simply import that .GPX file into OSMAnd+, and there's my GPS-ready route map. Voice-guided turn by turn, actual route ridden data logging, and many other features are part of it. The OSMAnd app is not tailored only to the motorcycle travel user - which I actually find less limiting. I spend some spare time in my non-riding months (Dec-March) each winter researching all over North America with GoogleMaps & its StreetView to assess & rank roads I aspire to eventually ride in the future. Yes, there is a free version of OSMAnd, but its annual fee for full, ongoing map updates and feature support is pretty cheap on the Playstore.

Here's a link to my current master_route_planner point archive map I maintain on my own GoogleDrive. I update / curate those points occasionally as I review someone else's Ride Reports - and discover another backroad / awesome secondary highway to add to the pile...

OSMAnd+ always allows you to customize your route on the fly too, and of course you can go create entirely new sub-routes etc if desired.

Though many people like the convenience of direct GoogleMaps navigation on their devices, that option presents limitations quickly (even with their Offlline maps the last few years), so that's why I researched many open-data standard GPS apps and selected OSMAnd+. I often ride in areas with no cell service, so must rely on a genuine GPS receiver-satellite group connection while I navigate twisties on a lonely mountain road.

Hope that offers you another alternative for consideration.

Hope that offers you another alternative for consideration.

Thanks.I'm having a little trouble importing routes into OSMAnd. I'll try a monthly subscription to Kurviger for $2.49 first to see if it works at all. Then I'll go back to fiddling around with OSMAnd.

Thanks, RossKean. It turns out that Kurviger has a seven-day free trial which I found out by subscribing. It appears to work fine. At least it talks to me. I'll try a short route tomorrow and see if it interrupts music to give directions and if it makes it from beginning to end without a hitch. Routes can be renamed after they have been downloaded so you can send a group of uniquely named routes to your phone.

I want to play with OSMAnd, like Cyclepath recommended, some more as well. I like the idea of a navigation system that doesn't rely on cell tower coverage. With either system I would like to be able to stuff the phone in a zippered pocket, listen to music, get verbal directions, and not have to even look at the phone.

harper: You do of course have to already know whether or not your current Android devices actually include the necessary on-board GPS transceiver chipset (actually known as GPS in the USA, and a good European standard created by Russia years ago known as GLONASS). Of course China is copy-catting this too, cuz they really don't want their own citizens to start actively relying upon outside technology more than they already have in the 21st century (insert eye roll here).

Whenever I consider buying a next Android phone or tablet, I always check to make sure their feature / spec sheets clearly declare GPS support - not assisted GPS (which means they rely on triangulation via cell towers). If you don't see GPS or GLONASS support, you'll be constrained to relying upon cell tower triangulation.

harper: You do of course have to already know whether or not your current Android devices actually include the necessary on-board GPS transceiver chipset (actually known as GPS in the USA, and a good European standard created by Russia years ago known as GLONASS).

The specs for the phone are listed as:

GPS, A-GPS, Cell ID, Wi-Fi positioning

GPS, A-GPS, Glonass, Galileo, Cell ID, Wi-Fi positioning

so I think it has the capability. Let me know if you disagree.

I tried a test route today with music playing and arrived at my destination having received turn instructions from Kurviger that successfully interrupted the music. There were a couple of hiccups due to the placement of way points in the route planning program. If you're not careful, it will set up a u-turn at a way point to get you back on the course. This can be avoided by setting way points away from intersections. I have since done this. I was unable to find my return route today so I only tested this one-way. Tomorrow, I will try a two-way navigation by loading a return route when I arrive at my first destination. I know how to do this, now.

Kurviger is supposed to work with offline maps but I haven't tried this yet.

Last edited:
Loaded and started a route out, cleared it when I arrived, and loaded the return route. Everything worked without a hitch. Kurviger allows you to set 50 way points and it announces when you are approaching one and when you pass it. On long, straight stretches one could add a few way points so the navigation system would occasionally remind you that it is still working.

I'm still having no luck with OMSAnd.

Last edited:
On some of my route across NC this would not be enough points.

Then break that big route up into a couple of smaller ones. Simple, no?

I have used Kurviger Pro while riding in Europe with positive results. But there I use it to pick my 'curvy' route since I have no idea what roads are good usually. I also use Co-Pilot GPS android app for planned routes. I plan the route with Google Maps on my laptop, and then replicate on my phone with the Co-Pilot GPS app. It's a bit tedious, but it works. I'll have to give the Kurviger app a try for planning a route.

Simple, yes but totally unnecessary with different mapping app that allows more than twice that any points in a route. For multiday trips I do that, split them into individual daily routes but I still want to be able to see the whole thing intact. Can't do that when limited to just 50 points.

Europe's a different animal I hear. They say things have to be done in a more roundabout way but here in the states I prefer to not work nearly as hard. Last thing I need is tedium when I can more simply plot, check, name and transfer. D-U-N done.

I think I should add too that I am NOT an audio guy. I don't do comms, I don't Bluetooth anything to anything and I (generally) don't use audio instructions from the gps. I have it set up to be able to use it, I just don't unless I'm in unfamiliar urban ares and I don't need to be looking at the device. It's been 4 or 5 years since I used gps audio instructions.

I have tried several short test rides with Kurviger. I have used it with offline maps with the cell phone radio signal turned off and the wireless radio signal turned off. Under those conditions if I go off-route it says it's recalculating but then announces that there is no internet signal. When I get back on the path it finds me in a short period of time, a minute or two. I can stop and see where I am on the offline maps and find a way to get back on route if I need to. The phone doesn't spend any time or battery searching for cell towers or wireless signals with the radio signals turned off and that also shows conclusively that it will operate out in the sticks with GPS only. I also found out how to make it not announce the waypoints as I ride by them. I can build a route on my desktop, transfer it to the Android, and there turn off the waypoint notifications selectively or all at the same time. It's pretty cool for what I want to do but the learning curve is fairly steep because the manuals are chaotic at best. I was, however, able to Google a couple of specific questions.

Last edited: