Seriously bad gas mileage.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I guess 32mpg is not too bad considering,10% ethanol winter fuel, large Cee Bailey screen, Givi trunk and crappy performance below 2000revs due to possible fueling problem. Oh, and wonderful Portland traffic but that is one of the reasons I ride to make commuting fun and use the HOV lane on I-5 which shaves off at least 30 minutes of time riding home.
I haven't had occasion to my FJR in really crappy traffic conditions. But the gas mileage for my ST1300's would plunge like this when driving a bunch in city traffic. Strangely, my carbureted ST1100 didn't behave this way. Its gas mileage was much more consistent (high 40's baseline) in different driving conditions and even speeds.

ANZAC Your gas mileage for the conditions you describe doesn't seem to be too terrible. I think the issue with mine is that I had shut off problems with the bike last year, I replaced the TPS and still had the issue, I took it to the dealership and they said it was something to do with the idling circuit. I suspect what they also did when the "fixed" the idling circuit issue was enrichen the fuel-air mixture. I have to ask them if that's what they really did and if this was done in part to cure my shut-off issue.

Something isn't right Sam, my 04 always produced 41-43 mpg under most riding circumstances. Ca winter fuel never made any real difference with any of my bikes.

CA winter fuel is loaded with oxygenates due to the CO problem in parts of the Valley during inversions. Thing is, CA fuel has 10% ethanol all year long, so it's kind of hard to figure that the recipe changes much. As I understand it, CARB allows a higher Reid Vapor Pressure in winter, and much of that is an increase of Butane over summer blend. Butane has a habit of disappearing from the hot Gen I fuel tank, and winter fuel blends evaporate at lower temperatures.

Puppychow, do you use an insulating blanket between the engine and fuel tank?

Engines aren't made to run on Corn crap. When will common sense ever kick in. I think I will go out and cut some more trees down.

Just sayin,

Puppychow, do you use an insulating blanket between the engine and fuel tank?
Nope, the dealership "lost" it when they serviced my bike for the "shut off" issue. I had been enjoying the extra heat from the engine in the Winter.

Engines aren't made to run on Corn crap. When will common sense ever kick in. I think I will go out and cut some more trees down.
Just sayin,

Dave, You'll have to post some pictures on how to get those trees in your gas tank.
tonguesmiley.gif

Which just fired this neuron: What would a vehicle powered by wood pellets be like?
grin.gif

Which just fired this neuron: What would a vehicle powered by wood pellets be like?
grin.gif
There would be some heat generated...Probably more than those terrible GenI bikes, and we know how much bitching, whining and nashing of teeth that uproar caused. How much whining do you think this kind of heat engine would cause? The tears would probably solve the SouthWest's drought problem though.

My Gen 1 isn't so terrible. In fact right about now I wish it made more heat.

But, back on topic, think of the great fuel mileage on pellets (measured in miles per ton).
And if you ran out you could stop and shove one of Dave's trees in there.

I had this problem on my old 2005 FJR. Was the fuel pressure regulator, replaced and went back to normal fuel mileage.
Did your bike have hesitation problems like when moving off in the friction zone? My 2003 is running better after I replaced the plugs, TPS, bleed the clutch etc but still seems to be running rich as getting lots of gas odors.

Same models do very somewhat but not like the drop you have experienced.

I will mark or grade my mileage (vs. others) when riding long routes or in packs together, that way we are using the same fuel, same ride etc. So for ships n giggles, if I put in 4.32g I will either ask of looky at the other guys pump and make a mental note. Ugh.. he took 7/10 less than me.

Last season, Mike (Wine Guy) toasted me at every fill-up, I was on my '09 FJR then. We gauge at every fill-up, maybe more so cuz we're just bored and need some jibber-jabber while putting our gloves back on. I was always eating about 3/4 more (gal) at each fill-up than he was. I chalked it up to two things; I'm a little harder on the twist-up and he has a Gen3 (2013). For SE Ohio/W.Virginia a couple of weeks ago, we rode down, day looped, and back home together and measured again upon every fill.... hehe, I've now got the better mileage by about a 1/2-3/4 gal at each fill-up. It's not huge, maybe more entertainment between friends.

Yes it's nice to flip the tables, only problem is... I need to fill-up about 5,000 more times to offset the higher cost of the BMW torque monster
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ca winter fuel" - now that's just funny!!! Is it good down to 60 degrees?
Our Winters are far from severe but it gets down below freezing in many parts of So Cal a few times in the Winter and MANY nights in the 30's and 40's.

Supposed to go down to upper 40's tonight where I live.

Last edited by a moderator: