Service recommendations for new to me FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowsdower

Reaction score
Bought a 2008 FJR1300AE this past September and was only able to get 1k miles in before winter set in here in Alaska. Love the bike so far and can't wait to ride this spring! I have a trip planned to ride to the lower 48 at the end of May 2022 and leave the bike there to tour around the CONUS in the winter, when I can get away. The bike has 16K miles on it, so not that much use. Any recommendations for service items, known issues or advice before I jump on it and ride to the lower 48 in May? Thanks for any help or advice!

When you get to FJR Tips, pay close attention when they get into "lubricating your relay arm". That item is not too clearly identified in the Yamaha maintenance schedule, and it is a known issue if avoided.

Bought a 2008 FJR1300AE this past September and was only able to get 1k miles in before winter set in here in Alaska. The bike has 16K miles on it, so not that much use. Any recommendations for service items, known issues or advice? Thanks for any help or advice!
Rowsdower,
At 16k miles, there is not much needed by the FJR. I would suggest replacing (completely) all of the hydraulic fluids. The AE clutch is tricky to bleed, so follow the correct procedure, if you do that. The driveshaft splines may or may not be greased, but it's an easy job and a good moly grease will do the job. I would check the brake pads for wear, and check that the brake rotors do not get too hot to touch, when riding normally, Most of the rest will be normal maintenance, not too critical on scheduling.
I consider a TPMS to be required gear, not optional, on any bike, and especially on the FJR. A cheap TPMS mounts someplace on or near the handlebars, fed with a USB cord. Two sensor valve caps, and it's a done deal. Make sure the valve-cap or internal sensors have replaceable batteries; some early versions were not, so you had to replace the sensors instead of the batteries. Mine cost ~US$ 70 and it works very well. I switched to T-valve stems to the rims, so I could add air without removing the valve-cap sensors.
Check the tire date codes - after five to seven years, I consider a tire is DONE, for the strong and heavy FJR, no matter about any remaining tread. Click the link, and scroll down.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Check your vin# on Yamaha recall site for ignition switch and #4 ground wire recall. Purchase a 2008 AR Yamaha FSM and read up on bleeding the AE clutch and ABS. You have jump.pins in harness to activate ABS pump the bleed ABS distribution block. I have 57,000 fun miles on my granite metallic grey 2008 AE. Read up on the ground "spiders" in the main ground wiring harness they "spider" looking distribution clips for more smaller wite grounds that need to packed with anti corrosion paste so no oxygen and moisture cas cause failures. Google " Brodie" bypass ground harness, larger ground wire for the 8 connectors with "spiders". Enjoy the AE I like the Pirelli Angel GT A Spec tires 41/41 PSI. Mobil 1 4T Synthetic motorcycle 10W40 oil and Mobil1 M-110 filter. The FSM manual has errors on torque specs crankcase drain bolt don't torque past 20 ft. Lbs. look at torque for rear end drain bolt same size in aluminum threads its torque is correct.

Bought a 2008 FJR1300AE this past September and was only able to get 1k miles in before winter set in here in Alaska. The bike has 16K miles on it, so not that much use. Any recommendations for service items, known issues or advice? Thanks for any help or advice!
Rowsdower,
... The AE clutch is tricky to bleed, so follow the correct procedure, if you do that. ...
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11
The workshop manual calls for removal of the swing arm and manual operation of the clutch actuator for part of the bleed procedure. This is unnecessary, the same actuator movement can be achieved by cycling the ignition. I suspect the manual was written as much for factory production as maintenance, where the battery wouldn't be connected.

Click on the image below for a video showing clutch movement

Hppants…. I’m not familiar with all the fjr specific terms. What do you mean by ‘relay arm’ ?

Hppants…. I’m not familiar with all the fjr specific terms. What do you mean by ‘relay arm’ ?
T-turtle,
You can also have Zerk fittings installed in the Relay Arm, to keep it simple in the future. Snowflake does good work, and only replaces what is bad. Find and send him an old one, and you can simply swap the finished Relay Arm in. Your bike may or may not need maintenance there, just yet. Link:
Relay Arm with Zerks

Thanks for the great info! I will be getting to work soon. Tires will definitely be replaced before the trip. Appreciate the feedback.