SFO 2015 - September 17th - 20th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it looks like I'll be heading that way! I haven't been very active on this site but learned quite a bit about my'08 FJR here. Anyway, I should be leaving Tulsa around 6:00 or so Friday evening and plan on camping at the Hub. On my way to Port Orange, FL so I'll spend the weekend in Arkansas, Looking forward to meeting you.

Dan

Hey fellers,

I have a pinched nerve, bulging disk or something in my lower back giving me crap. I probably will NOT be riding Friday to give it another day to hopefully recoup.

Yep, I am officially getting old as my back is petering out. Thankfully my peter is not backing out! (yet)

I may drive up in the morning just to make sure everyone is ok and smiling. If anyone needs anything give me a shout.

C'ya,

Mark

I just did 160 with 2 cracked ribs, Shirley you will feel better soon. Peter is your problem.

Well, it looks like I'll be heading that way! I haven't been very active on this site but learned quite a bit about my'08 FJR here. Anyway, I should be leaving Tulsa around 6:00 or so Friday evening and plan on camping at the Hub. On my way to Port Orange, FL so I'll spend the weekend in Arkansas, Looking forward to meeting you.
Dan
We're here, just waiting on you, Dan! Looking forward to meeting you as well!

Hey fellers,I have a pinched nerve, bulging disk or something in my lower back giving me crap. I probably will NOT be riding Friday to give it another day to hopefully recoup.

Yep, I am officially getting old as my back is petering out. Thankfully my peter is not backing out! (yet)

I may drive up in the morning just to make sure everyone is ok and smiling. If anyone needs anything give me a shout.

C'ya,

Mark
Well that just sucks Mark! Come on up and at least go to breakfast with us at the Ozark Cafe.

The wife and I made it home after a LONG 620 mile ride today. Randall and Debbie at The Hub, in their usual fashion, were very accommodating to us. We hit the usual spots, Ozark Cafe, Oark General Store, Cookies (in Theodosia, MO), ate some excellent meals and incredible pie. We wore out AR 14 and Push Mtn. Rode the Missouri Rollercoaster - US 160, which was freshly paved - AWESOME! AR 123, AR 16, AR 21, AR 7 to name a few. We consumed one or two beers and some told a few lies
rolleyes.gif
Gloryracing led a group of eight riders on a 517 mile Twisty Butt ride Saturday. He said they completed the ride in 11 hours 20 minutes.

We had a couple of new attendees and missed a few regulars. It was nice meeting Dingerr, who won the "furthest traveled" award, and Dr. Mike from Tulsa, who joined us via Winewhisperer. In total, we had four Mike's in attendance, definitely a new record!

As MGM said, it was another great weekend of riding in the Ozarks. For those that were there, thanks for joining us. For those that weren't, well, I guess there's always next year.
rolleyes.gif
I'll try to get a few pics posted up in a few days. See you all next year!
punk.gif

I must confess - my camera didn't get much use this year at SFO. Not sure why, but that's just the way it worked out. But here are a few selected shots that I did get....

We stopped in Memphis on Wednesday evening to meet some friends of ours at Flying Saucer in Cordova.. From L to R, Stu and his fiance`e, Steph, Gary (Winewhisperer) myself (FJRBandit) and Mrs. Bandit. We stayed out way too late....
coolsmiley02.gif

20150916_225403.jpg

On Thursday, Winewhisper, Mrs. Bandit and I headed towards The Hub. We had a great ride up AR 14 and then I had some new rear rubber installed at Harrison Yamaha. Good People! (No pics that day)

Friday, four of us, Winewhisperer, Dr. Mike, Mrs. Bandit and I made our way to the Oark General Store via AR 123, AR 16, AR 21 and AR 103 to meet LA2wheeler for lunch. Some of the roads looked a little like this
weirdsmiley.gif
no.gif
Actually, they were paved believe it or not....

20150918_133053.jpg

20150918_133042.jpg

We had Dr. Mike take a pic to send to our friend Old Pilot -

20150918_141521.jpg

Then it was time to order... from L to R - waitress, Dr. Mike, Winewhisperer, LA2wheeler and Mrs. Bandit

20150918_132654.jpg

I got this - the Angry Bird. Grilled Chicken with green peppers and jalapenos. WOW! It was Awesome! By the way, Dr. Mike ordered the same thing except his was called the Angry Hornet. Instead of chicken it was the peppers on the Oark's burger. He loved his sandwich as much as I loved mine!

20150918_134246.jpg

Mrs. Bandit had never been to Oark so I ordered for her - just like you, she loved it and can't wait to go back!

20150918_134253.jpg

Then it was on to the main event.

20150918_132429.jpg

Mrs. Bandit took a piece of buttermilk pie to go and enjoyed it later that evening. Winewhisper had the chocolate pie - the waitress said they only had one piece left and it didn't have any meringue on it. Winewhisperer didn't mind, he said he didn't want any "cow slobber" anyway. FJRbandit went with the Blueberry ala mode.

20150918_140423.jpg

You know you want some!

20150918_132503.jpg

What a cool place!

20150918_132926.jpg

The next day we looped around AR 14, up Push Mountain, down US 160 over to Branson to have a beverage at The Ole English Inn Pub. Well, they were closed. Apparently they have new owners and were doing some renovations. We'll try again next year. (no pics again)

On departure day we had breakfast at the Ozark Cafe in Jasper, again. Can't get too much of that place!

20150920_081853.jpg

20150920_090653.jpg

Had to pay homage to the Marilyn wall!

20150920_082002.jpg

20150920_082020.jpg

It was time to pay up and say goodbye. LA2wheeler settling up his tab.

20150920_090105.jpg

It was a beautiful morning in Jasper. We hated to leave but all good things must come to an end. See you guys next year!

20150920_090712.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I made it to Port Orange with about 6,050 miles for the trip. It was great meeting and riding with you and I really enjoyed route 16 in Arkansas. I stopped at Cafe Eclectic for an excellent lunch in Memphis and then hit Tart for an espresso. Over to Chattanooga for the night before pushing through to Florida. Some of the best riding was with you in AK & MO (not to mention the company). Hope to see you again. Finally cleaning the grime off of the FJR.

That's awesome Dan, glad you made it to Port Orange safe and on time. We certainly enjoyed meeting you and really glad you were able to join us, even if just for a day. Hopefully we'll see you again soon! Give me a shout if you are ever headed to Birmingham to visit Barber again.

Awesome seeing those pictures. My wife and I did some of the same roads and ate in some of the same places. Sadly my timing was off a bit and we missed you guys. My wife had made reservations in some state parks months in advance so we could be right on the water. I really didn't want to undo the planning she did because she found the water sites cause she knows I love them. We were riding out of Jasper when you guys were riding in.

The Oark stop was a neat surprise for us. We got turned back because of the pig trail being closed. So we stopped there for lunch. I have to say that's one of the best burgers I have ever eaten.

Arkansas is a great state for riding. I will do a trip report once I get some pictures from my wife.

Again, sorry I missed you guys. It would have been fun I am sure.

Ahem, where, exactly is this Marilyn wall? Those photos remind me of my next wife.

Awesome seeing those pictures. My wife and I did some of the same roads and ate in some of the same places. Sadly my timing was off a bit and we missed you guys. My wife had made reservations in some state parks months in advance so we could be right on the water. I really didn't want to undo the planning she did because she found the water sites cause she knows I love them. We were riding out of Jasper when you guys were riding in.
The Oark stop was a neat surprise for us. We got turned back because of the pig trail being closed. So we stopped there for lunch. I have to say that's one of the best burgers I have ever eaten.

Arkansas is a great state for riding. I will do a trip report once I get some pictures from my wife.

Again, sorry I missed you guys. It would have been fun I am sure.

There's always next year Dan! I'm glad that you and your wife made it up to the Ozarks and discovered the well kept secret that it is a GREAT state for riding. But, ssshhh, don't tell anyone!
tonguesmiley.gif

Definitely, the Oark burgers are among the best burgers you can find anywhere. Question is, can you find the Oark? Hope to see you next year and we'll go have a piece of pie at the Oark together! BTW, in the meantime if you make it up to Alabama drop me a line. I'll take you on a spin around our best roads (and campgrounds) in the area, it's not quite the Ozarks, but we have a few good'uns around here too! Plus, you can visit the Barber Museum while you are in the area!

Ahem, where, exactly is this Marilyn wall? Those photos remind me of my next wife.
Well Uncle, if you are familiar with the Ozark Cafe, the Marilyn wall is located in the back of the room that they have designated as their gift shop. It's on the far end of the building from the cafe entrance. You could actually eat in the main dining area and never even know the gift shop existed. Go through the middle dining area, continue on through and you'll see the shirts and other items they have for sale through the glass doors to the next room. The Marilyn wall is in the back of that room on your way to the restrooms.

As a side note, when we were in the Ozarks for our Dixie Shunpikin' ride back in May we had a debate as to whether the picture showing Marilyn with a bottle of perfume was really her or was it a look alike model. I came down on the side of "I didn't care if it was her or not, she's hot!". But, when we were there a couple of weeks ago I asked the owner of the Ozark Cafe if the picture was really that of Marilyn or whether it was a look alike. He looked at me very puzzled, almost insulted, that I was questioning the authenticity of the photo. I explained that we had just had a little fun debate on the topic the last time we were there. He assured me that it was Marilyn.

I have, painstakingly I might add, done the very difficult research into this great debate for you all.
smile.png
The mystery has been solved and the photo indeed is that of the one and only late Marilyn Monroe! Chanel actually uses the same photo in their ad campaign for Chanel No. 5.

https://inside.chanel.com/en/marilyn/marilyn-and-no5

https://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/2010/04/marilyn_monroes_personal_bottl.html

marilyn-monroe-ed-feingersh.jpg

The photo in question was just one of many from the same photo shoot that were uncovered in my exhaustive research. Enjoy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=marilyn+monroe+perfume+bottle&sa=X&es_sm=122&biw=1280&bih=939&tbm=isch&imgil=c3UuQ6ki6WMcdM%253A%253B0L3DaUpCO39j6M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.mimifroufrou.com%25252Fscentedsalamander%25252F2010%25252F04%25252Fmarilyn_monroes_personal_bottl.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=c3UuQ6ki6WMcdM%253A%252C0L3DaUpCO39j6M%252C_&usg=__iAol-5-yWoRQEroxZG2e9rl6cGI%3D&ved=0CCgQyjdqFQoTCN2KquzInMgCFcclHgodYIcOlw&ei=kq8KVt35M8fLeOCOurgJ#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACXN1LkOpIuljIjixLLtnPYN_1OKi9DdGAL4OtzKB-FX0rf6762xwL3cnG9wzexPKhpN1PBbc5ixwUCAQMHk_16eRHeECoSCbEsu2c9g384EQHHSCOV-oPsKhIJqL0N0YAvg60R8rN0hUvwzZcqEgnMoH4VfSt_1rhGZVWOVaJhZtSoSCfrbHAvdycb3EfKzdIVL8M2XKhIJDN7E8qGk3U8R9EBCjcUeJdkqEgkFtzmLHBQIBBFmlM2OREDAeCoSCQweT_1p5Ed4QEY-q4OpFBzdf&q=marilyn%20monroe%20perfume%20bottle

You can all thank me later -
coolsmiley02.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the good word on the Marilyn Wall, and many thanks for that extra photo. (Hubba, Hubba! is appropriate here.)

Can' t believe Dixie Shunpikin was only 4 months ago - these pics bring back fond memories, yes the pies are good - as is Marilyn! Looking good Mr & Mrs Bandit!

Latest posts