SFO 2016 - Oct. 27th thru Oct. 30th in Jemison, Alabama!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Turk,

I have wine classes I teach in October and new owners here at Great Wines, but this is far enough in advance that I should be able to attend. I have to see my good buddy and my other SFO maniacs.

Hotel. No room for camping equipment on the S1000R.

"Hotel. No room for camping equipment on the S1000R."

Any room for a few bottles of wine?
punk.gif

I'm in, and camping. Look forward to meeting everyone! Coming from Macon GA, an easy trip.

Thanks for organizing this!

Well Sheee Doggieeeeee

(that's Alabamian for "Yee Ha!!!)

This thing is starting to look like something!!!!

I may have to wash my bike and riding gear before I leave. Don't want you peeps getting the wrong impressions!!

Well, Yee Haw! (that's Alabamian for Yee Ha!
bye.gif
)

Yeah, it's starting to shape up a little bit now. Between the two fourms I think right now we have about five or six campers, roghly 10 motel queens and a few local yokels. I'm going to have a chat with both the Hampton Inn at the Calera exit 231 and the Best Western at the Clanton exit 205 and see who will offer up the best deal. They're both about the same distance from the property, with Calera being just a tad closer, but in more congestion. I'm also going to work on getting us a shuttle van so that the folks staying at the hotel that want to imbibe a bit won't have to drive back to the hotel.

Also, I have talked with a couple of different folks (catering types) about doing the cooking for us on both Friday and Saturday night. They're both friends so it won't get expensive. We'll just divide the total cost up by number of attendees and that'll be our per person dinner cost. I'm going to tell them to try to keep it around $15 max each night. Since people will be arriving at different times on Thursday, and some not coming until Friday, we'll just wing it on Thursday with dinner at a restaurant near the motel. My thinking is we'll do some kind of grilling Friday night, either burgers, dogs, smoked sausage etc... or BBQ and ribs. Then on Saturday night I was thinking maybe a Cajun theme, with some jambalaya and maybe a low country boil - for you yankees, that will be either shrimp and/or sausage, boiled in a big pot of Cajun spices with potatoes, onions and corn on the cob, and whatever else we decide to thrown in there! Yep, believe it or not we have some real Cajun cooks around these parts, and if they aren't up to par Pants can take over!

One of the nights, either Friday or Saturday I'm planning to have live entertainment. I'm hoping that a couple of good friends that play professionally will be able to play for us that weekend. They both play in some serious gigs so it'll be a month or so before they'll know whether not they'll be open that weekend. I could lock them down in advance but that would cost some bucks. I don't expect them to play for free, but if they're open that weekend they won't charge me an arm and a leg and we will be in for a treat, trust me! We'll just pass the plate to cover that cost. If they're not free either night, I'll find some hack somewhere to play banjo for us. Yee Haw!
tonguesmiley.gif
Anyway, I'm hopeful I'll be able to make an announcement on the dinner plans and entertainment in the next two or three weeks.

For those that will be camping, here's a couple of pics of the camping area that I grubbed out last Fall.

20150927_143509_zpsmyjnao9g.jpg

20150927_143715_zpskhwta3ry.jpg

In this picture you can see part of the building in the background.

20150927_143450_zpsbno4woss.jpg

Since then we've done a lot more work to the place and completed the one bedroom apartment inside the building. I'm hoping by the time of the event we'll have the party deck completed. We'll see.... IF not, there's plenty of room to pile up the logs and have us a nice bon fire to sit around.

We can also go play a little on my work horse.

20150927_140526_zpsmko1h8mq.jpg

If folks would like, I'll work up a few suggested routes. In a previous post I listed a plethora of area "attractions" in the hopes that people could begin thinking about some of the areas they would like to visit. The routes I draw up will be in the 250 - 300 mile range. One day will include Talladega area and Mt. Cheaha, possibly Barber thrown in if possible. Another will be Barber and points in and around that area. I'll also draw up a Western route that will include more leisurely countryside riding with some historical points of interest included, roughly in the triangle of Selma, Tuscaloosa and Montevallo. So if you have any particular areas or points of interest you would like to visit post up here or send me a PM and I'll try to include them in the two or three routes I draw up.

Remember to please let me know whether you plan to tent camp or stay at the motel. The reason I need to know is I want to try to get the best group rate I can. The more rooms I can commit to the better the rate. If you are tent camping, no worries, I just need to know that you aren't going to need a room.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason, I can't see the pics, Turk ^^^^^

Food service, shuttle service, and live entertainment? Holy cow - talk about southern hospitality!!!

So this must be the southern event in late October I was told about.....

This tempts me.... I'll have to see how the other weekends in October line up for events and shindigs.

I've been told I need to work occasionally.... Lol.

So this must be the southern event in late October I was told about.....
This tempts me.... I'll have to see how the other weekends in October line up for events and shindigs.

Your map has a LOT of empty spaces near the southern part of the US, this would help that out
yes2.gif

So this must be the southern event in late October I was told about..... This tempts me.... I'll have to see how the other weekends in October line up for events and shindigs.

Working is overrated!

FJRfarrier posted: So this must be the southern event in late October I was told about.....

There will be Sweet Tea in plenitude.

FJRfarrier posted: So this must be the southern event in late October I was told about.....

Well that's it then. I HAVE to go now..... Someone owes me some good stuff. ;)

For some reason, I can't see the pics, Turk ^^^^^
Food service, shuttle service, and live entertainment? Holy cow - talk about southern hospitality!!!
Actually, those are the pictures, X marks the spot where you throw your tent, right?
tonguesmiley.gif

Seriously - WTF??? It's even the same for me, unless I sign in to my google account that the pictures are linked to. If I'm not signed into my google account I get the X also. But when I'm signed in, the pictures show up. However, my ride report pics don't do that..... works whether I'm signed into my google account or not. Weird.

Anybody have any input on that??

**** EDIT ****

Anybody have any input on that??

Yeah, I do, can the damn google picasa and move to Photobucket!

Thank for the input Bandit -
uhoh.gif

Done. pics should be working now.

Well that's it then. I HAVE to go now..... Someone owes me some good stuff.
wink.png

I'm taking that as a confirmed IN!
smile.png
coolsmiley02.gif

.... and yeah, if you interacted with the Uncle at NAFO I'm sure that you are owed something.
rolleyes.gif