SFO 2016 - Oct. 27th thru Oct. 30th in Jemison, Alabama!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait wait wait.....

I'm not gonna make a trek all the way down there and not meet Redfish Hunter!!! I've heard he's like my #1 fan as of lately....

........ You better make the short hop, skip and jump to this shindig.

Count me IN! Friday and Saturday night. I would like some floor space in a building, if it's not too much trouble. :)

I've been working on the Fish. ^^^^^^^ this might be just enough push. Well played, Ms. Farrier!!!

Wait wait wait.....I'm not gonna make a trek all the way down there and not meet Redfish Hunter!!! I've heard he's like my #1 fan as of lately....

........ You better make the short hop, skip and jump to this shindig.

Count me IN! Friday and Saturday night. I would like some floor space in a building, if it's not too much trouble.
smile.png

That's awesome, Julie! I'm thrilled you are going to make it. Especially since now with this star power in attendance we'll be able to charge a Rally Fee!
rolleyes.gif
no.gif

Plenty of floor space in the building, no worries. We'll see what we can do to work up an UPGRADE for you.
winksmiley02.gif

I was asked this question in the thread running for this event on fjrowners.com - question in italics and my response follows.

How long/far would a trip up to Little River Canyon around the Fort Payne area take round trip? I understand its a nice ride and I haven't been able to make it up there yet. Plus I'm sure the leaves changing will make it more impressive.

That is an excellent question! The most direct and quickest route from the event location in Jemison to Little River Canyon is roughly 140 miles and right at 2 hours, not including stops. The route I would take if I were going to spend the day riding to Little River Canyon would be about the same distance, but utilizing mostly back roads and would take around 3 - 3 1/2 hours, inclusive of stops. So if that is something someone wanted to do I would suggest that it be an early kick stands up day, leave around 7 am, which would put you there via the scenic route around 10:30 - 11:00. Spend 3-4 hours in the area to get the most out of it and then jump on the interstate for a 2 1/2 hour ride back.

If anyone is interested in doing that I have put together a Google route for you that will be around 300 miles. You should allow at least 10 hours for the ride to give yourself time for seeing the canyon, a couple of BEAUTIFUL waterfalls and lunch in the little mountain town of Mentone. You will want to shoot to be back in Jemison by 5 or 6 at the latest, because we'll be serving dinner in the 6:30 time frame each night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been working on the Fish. ^^^^^^^ this might be just enough push. Well played, Ms. Farrier!!!
I figured you being from Lousyanner n all, reelin in a couple of Fish would jus be all in a days work. You losin yer magic in yer old age Pants?
shout.gif
lol2.gif

I figured you being from Lousyanner n all, reelin in a couple of Fish would jus be all in a days work. You losin yer magic in yer old age Pants?
shout.gif
lol2.gif
FIxed! Only because he is my friend can I kid this way!! Love you Pants.......wait, that sounded bad too. Nevermind.

I have one weekend this Fall available because of taking a new coaching gig, I need to see which one it is and plan accordingly. I hope it falls on one of our FJR weekends. If it doesn't, I am making my own FJR weekend.

Hey - I resemble that remark!

Shoot - when you agree to allow your nickname to be "Pants", thick skin is most assuredly called for....

Little River Canyon would be great - I like that road through there. Also love riding anywhere in the Talladega National Forest, especially that scenic highway there.

About 12 weeks out - come on Father time, do your thing, man!!!!!

I could go into great detail about the many issues at work that are interfering with any serious vacation planning right now, but no one likes hearing a grown man cry and whine. I am Strongly Considering this little get together, mostly because there are some forum folks I truly wish to meet.

I have considered negotiating with our host to drag my camper up a few days prior to this event and leaving it until a few days after but,

1. I don't want to impose and be a PIA.

2. It might be better if Pop and I eased our way back to a quiet hotel before the festivities get too festive. Pop and I are not Party Animals by any measure.

I am trying to balance out the Family Motorcycle Trip that has not happened for a couple of years, the needs of the family, the demands of the job, and my desire to meet forum friends.

Julie, my dear young lady, I am Seriously Irritated that you have put me in this situation. I had almost made up my mind to just let this one pass. Now it is All Your Fault that I am in this dilemma.

I could go into great detail about the many issues at work that are interfering with any serious vacation planning right now, but no one likes hearing a grown man cry and whine. I am Strongly Considering this little get together, mostly because there are some forum folks I truly wish to meet.
I have considered negotiating with our host to drag my camper up a few days prior to this event and leaving it until a few days after but,

1. I don't want to impose and be a PIA.

2. It might be better if Pop and I eased our way back to a quiet hotel before the festivities get too festive. Pop and I are not Party Animals by any measure.

I am trying to balance out the Family Motorcycle Trip that has not happened for a couple of years, the needs of the family, the demands of the job, and my desire to meet forum friends.

Julie, my dear young lady, I am Seriously Irritated that you have put me in this situation. I had almost made up my mind to just let this one pass. Now it is All Your Fault that I am in this dilemma.
I will take full responsibilty. You can thank me my shaking my hand that weekend.
rolleyes.gif

But whatever you decide, I understand.... mostly. 1- I have no dependent family, 2- my jobs are pretty laid back, 3- I'm learning to like people.
fool.gif

Just remember, this is still a "few" weeks away. Plenty of time for things to change. For all of us. Just stay positive and hope for the best!

I gave up on your #3 long ago. I started off not liking people and the more I learn, the more I dislike them.
argue.gif

Fortunately I have been taking lessons from hppants and Mrs. Redfish about being nice to folks and giving them a chance. It is an adjustment. And those two don't seem to like me most of the time anyway.
uhoh.gif

At any rate this is on my list of Important Considerations.

Well.... after our adventures out west, Julie just dropped this in my lap.

As much as I hate to commit to anything out this far, it is in my calendar.

I keep a tent and camping supplies in my left saddlebag for occasions like this.

If you opt for a porta john, I'm happy to chip in to offset the costs.

Little River Canyon would be great - I like that road through there. Also love riding anywhere in the Talladega National Forest, especially that scenic highway there.
Our days will be filled with the Cheaha area!

I gave up on your #3 long ago. I started off not liking people and the more I learn, the more I dislike them.
argue.gif

Fortunately I have been taking lessons from hppants and Mrs. Redfish about being nice to folks and giving them a chance. It is an adjustment. And those two don't seem to like me most of the time anyway.
uhoh.gif

At any rate this is on my list of Important Considerations.
Can you blame them?
tonguesmiley.gif

That's good to hear RFH! As Tony Little used to say, "You can do eet!"

Well.... after our adventures out west, Julie just dropped this in my lap.As much as I hate to commit to anything out this far, it is in my calendar.

I keep a tent and camping supplies in my left saddlebag for occasions like this.

If you opt for a porta john, I'm happy to chip in to offset the costs.
That's awefully nice of you and all, but I'll just dig a hole fer you guys with my tractor, which by the way my wife thanks is sexy.
bye.gif

Just found out an old friend that I haven't seen for 20+ years lives in Eufaula. Any good roads/attractions getting over there Turk?

If attractions is your priority then I would recommend the old cotton gin in downtown Prattville. It is a very interesting stop, as is Downtown Prattville in general. In Montgomery there are some really good stops all within walking distance of each other; The Alabama State Capitol building (historic), Alabama Department of Archives and History (excellent museum across from the Capitol building) and the First White House of the Confederacy, Dexter Ave. Baptist Church, just to name a few. From there US 82 to Eufaula is a nice, scenic ride through the countryside. Also, just 30 miles miles or so down I-85 from Montgomery you can stop in and visit the Tuskegee Airmen National Memorial. I haven't made it there yet, but it's getting great reviews and I'm looking forward to a day ride down that way soon! Maybe I'll make it before SFO and can report back before then.

If you are more interested in the riding as your priority, not as much in the way of attractions, then I would suggest --from Jemison, I-65 to Clanton, take AL 22 east to Alexander City, then AL 229 (good road) south to I-85, make the short way over to Tuskegee and visit the Airmen Memorial, then follow US 29 south to Union Springs, from there follow US 82 east to Eufaula.

We can talk about it further at SFO and I can draw out various routes for you depending on what you would like to do and how much time you want to allot. This goes for anyone, I know that Alabama is not an area that many of you have ever ridden. So if you would like specific input as to your routing or attractions for your specific interest just drop me a PM. I'll be glad to assist you and/or just make recommendations.

OK gang - the hotel that makes the most sense for us is the Best Western in Clanton, Alabama. It is located just off I-65 at exit 205. While this is 14 miles south of exit 219 where the event will take place, it is the most reasonably priced motel that I would personally stay that is closest to Jemison. Also, we will be arranging for transportation to and from the event location for dinner and the activities afterwards so that you can enjoy an adult beverage or two and not having to worry about riding back to the hotel.

Apparently my negotiations skills aren't what I dreamed them to be. The hotel owner actually quoted me $78.00 per night for a group rate, which is $1.50 more than the published AAA rate of $76.50 on the hotel website. Go figure! That being said, you'll need to just contact the hotel directly and make your reservations, soon, to ensure that you have a room reserved, as we do not have a room block for this event.

Please note, the hotel cancellation policy is very liberal - you can cancel all the way up to 6 p.m. on the night of arrival in order to avoid being charged for one night's stay. So it only makes since that you go ahead and make reservations, even if you are on the fence about attending. If something comes up and you can't make it, you simply cancel all the way up to the date of arrival without incurring any charges.

So, my recommendation is to make reservations at:

BEST WESTERN Inn

801 Bradberry Ln, Clanton, AL 35046-6260
Phone: 205-280-1006 | Fax: 205-280-1387 | 53 Rooms
Check Out Time: 11:00 AM | Check In: 3:00 PM | Online Reservations

Hotel Amenities & Services

• Complimentary continental breakfast, choice of breads, cereal, fruit, eggs, yogurt, juice, coffee, and hot items.
  • Outdoor pool
  • Hot tub Jacuzzi®
  • Ice/vending machines
  • High-speed Internet access
  • Exterior corridor
There is a Waffle House across the street and also a Shoney's with a full breakfast bar, three miles up the interstate at exit 208 if the Complimentary continental breakfast does not suit your needs. Those of us that will be camping will likely be headed to Shoney's in the mornings on our way out to ride. We'll play that by ear for now.

I will start a new thread and ask that you post up in that thread once you have made your reservations to let everyone know that you have locked down a room. That thread can also be used for room share info for those that want to find a room mate, as this hotel has Double Queen rooms, in addition to single King for those of you that just prefer have a room to yourself. I note that this hotel was remodeled within the last year and most all of the reviews I read were very positive.

In the alternative, there is a Hampton Inn 12 miles north at exit 231 but I was quoted $103 for that weekend. You are more than welcomed to stay there, but likely we will not be able to get you back and forth to the activities on Friday and Saturday evening.

For those that are a little more budget conscious, there is a hotel adjacent to the Shoney's at exit 205. We will be able to accommodate ride assist to this hotel, as it is on the way to and from the Best Western. My guess is the rate at this hotel will be between $60 -$65. The Inn of Clanton

It is worth noting that Peach Park is located directly in front of the Best Western. The BBQ ribs are pretty fair, but the Peach Cobbler is Excellent.

I stayed at that hotel in May of this year. It was not spectacular but it was acceptable. There is not anything better that I know of in that area.

OK, I did the math...520 miles each way x 2 = 1040 miles. RV gets 8 mi/g max = 130 gal. Gas avg $2.30/gal = $299 just for gas.

Bike gets 44 mi/gal avg = 23 gal. $2.30/gal = $53 to ride.

$299 - 53 = $246 more to drive the rv.

Cost per night at hotel is $76.50 x 3 = $229.50 + tax

Looks like I do not save anything driving the RV. Hmmm, Me thinks this will require more thought and planning. I see a decently rated Motel 6 north of Jemison for $50/nt and a few others in Clanton around $55/nt. Anyone in the area have recon on any of these less expensive motels? I will probably be with my gf so sharing a room with another rider to save $ is not an option.

Allen, I have recon on all of the hotels in the area. The "Motel 6" is 10 miles north of the Jemison exit and would be the preferred place, if I wasn't so familiar with it. I think it became a Motel 6 within the last year. Prior to that, it was a dilapidated dump that even vagrants likely wouldn't step foot in. Just knowing the history of the place, I wouldn't board my dogs there. Now, that being said, I see that the "reviews" on Google seem to be o.k. Of the four Trip Advisor reviews (again indicating this place apparently just reopened as a "Motel 6") three of the reviews are "you get what you pay for" and the most recent review is this:

“Never again”
x.gif
Reviewed July 8, 2016 via mobile
If you get tired on I65south, keep on trucking until the next exit!!! We should have slept in our car! There was a roach in the bathroom, the mattress springs almost poked through, and the air conditioner made a horrendous noise. We told ourselves that we were tired and glad to have a bed but i'm outta here!

That review falls more in line with what I would expect from that dump.

With all that being said, in the Hotel Info and Room Share thread I posted last week there is a link to an alternate, more budget friendly hotel called The Inn of Clanton. It is on the way to the Best Western I have recommended and as such, we can assist in getting you to and from that hotel for the evening activities. My guess is that hotel is in the $60 - $65 range, and will include breakfast at the adjacent Shoney's Restaurant. I seriously considered making this the recommended hotel, but for another $10-$15 the Best Western, being recently remodeled, just seemed to be a better option. The Inn of Clanton is only 11 miles south of Jemison, located at exit 208.

The other hotels in the Clanton area at the same exit as the Best Western, exit 205. They range in price from $47-$55. They are the Scottish Inn, which shows 54 reviews on Trip Advisor, 44 of which show a rating of "Excellent" or "Very Good" , only 3 of which rate it as "Poor" or "Terrible". Based on these reviews coupled with the pricing, this place may be more in line with what you are looking for. Plus, it's across the street from the Best Western.

You also have the Key West Inn at this same exit at $53 and Days Inn at $55. Again, I think these are hotels that you just "get what you pay for".

I'll copy and paste this info to the Hotel Info and Room Share in the event others don't stumble across this post in this thread.