SFO 2016 Plans?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stose85

Reaction score
Hey guys, I didn't see anything posted about an SFO meeting this year, and was wondering if there was anything tentatively scheduled?

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be sometime in September, probably 2ND or 3RD weekend at the Hub on Hwy 7 north of Jasper Arkansas. Calling FJRBandit, calling FJRBandit.

My wife's birthday is the last week and I am attending a bachelor party on the first week
yes2.gif

Hello, hello, is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone at home. ...... Oh, this isn't that. Oh well....

Actually, I haven't set anything up this year due to the extreme lack of interest shown in the meet over the past couple of years. That's probably my fault in that I could care less about setting up a "real" rally. I've been in contact with the four or five regulars and everyone was in agreement we'd just throw something together among ourselves sometime this summer with a plan to meet this Fall in Arkansas. That being said, anyone who feels froggy and wants to take the actual SFO mantle have at it. However, I have considered some alternatives and would like some input from those that are interested.

I was talking with Cornbread a few weeks ago and he mentioned a rally that will be held in early to mid-October in Mountain View, AR. He said it was a non-specific bike group that I believe is made up primarily of COG (Concourse Owners Group) types that will be getting together for riding and playing. I have sent him an email asking about specific dates and location and will post more when I know. As I understand it the location has not only clean, affordable rooms but also a nice campground for those interested in that. That way, we might be able to merge our dwindling event in with another event and actually make something of it.

Another option I have been kicking around is more camping driven. It's an extreme departure from what we have been doing. While Alabama is not the Smoky Mountains when it comes to riding, we do have some decent options around here and I'm so familiar with it I could provide routes etc... to fill up a couple of fun days riding. The beauty of it is that I own 20 or so BEAUTIFUL, very private acres on top of a hill in central Alabama that would be perfect for a camping get together. It's close to the interstate and fairly close to lodging and eateriers, but it givesa the feel of being a million miles away! Onsite I have a large metal shop building that has a 1,000 sq. ft. apartment built inside of it, complete with eat-in kitchen and bathroom facilities, I have limited bedding onsite (primarily because the one bedroom is reserved for the owner, me! However, there is plenty of room in the large metal building for airbeds. Also, some very nice, cleaned out grounds for tent camping and for those with motorhomes or travel trailers I have two sites available for trailer hook ups complete with power, water and sewer. I also have everything needed to have a large cook out and of course plenty of firewood for the sipping of whiskey in the crisp, cool air of an Alabama Saturday night in an October.

It may be too late to put it together this year, but I was thinking of having a true rally - complete with scored points and real winners - at some point in the future. But we could give it a test run this Fall if anyone is interested. If some of you are interested in that, throw out your comments and suggestions either here or shoot me a PM.

And a third, mostly viable option is, those that are interested in getting together this year in Arkansas at The Hub, speak up here or shoot me a PM. I, and some others, will be going up that way for sure at some point, either in September or October. Whether it's to meet the crew in Mountain View or not. We'll be staying at The Hub at least Thursday and Friday night, then maybe making an appearance at the rally in Mountain View on Saturday and staying there Saturday night.

It's up to you guys that want to participate to speak up.

Hello Bandit. Any of those choices sound good to me. I'm all for any type of motorcycle camping. I don't mind riding down to Alabama especially in the Fall when the weather is nice.

I love both options, Turk, and would love a return trip to the Hub. The catch for me in September is date proximity to CFO, and getting time off work. October would make it more feasible for me. And really, it's all about me...

Thanks for the input guys. Each of you sound like you are open to some Alabama riding in mid to late October. Arky seems to be our perennial spot, plus the (former) Texas crowd can make that work much easier than coming ALL THE way back East.
uhoh.gif
But since they seemed to have broken off and created their own state I don't guess we even need to consider their wishes any longer. They even call themselves the Lone Star state now. Jeeze..
rolleyes.gif

I'm still waiting to hear back from Cornbread regarding the October thing in Mountain View. I believe he is off screwing around on his FJR in some crappy riding area they call West Virginia this week. I hear that the roads are so bad there, and curvy too, that they haven't been able to put in any cell towers yet.
weirdsmiley.gif
So I suppose he is out of communication this week. As soon as I hear back from him - unless someone else here is familiar with this rally I'm referring to in Mountain View - I'll kick it around with the executive committee and we'll come up with a plan. Keep the comments, input and suggestions coming!

BTW - any word on when the Missouri Hoon rally (edit -- meant Hooterville - thanks Wheatie) is going to be this year? Or is that even on?

Thanks for the input guys. Each of you sound like you are open to some Alabama riding in mid to late October. Arky seems to be our perennial spot, plus the (former) Texas crowd can make that work much easier than coming ALL THE way back East.
uhoh.gif
But since they seemed to have broken off and created their own state I don't guess we even need to consider their wishes any longer. They even call themselves the Lone Star state now. Jeeze..
rolleyes.gif

I'm still waiting to hear back from Cornbread regarding the October thing in Mountain View. I believe he is off screwing around on his FJR in some crappy riding area they call West Virginia this week. I hear that the roads are so bad there, and curvy too, that they haven't been able to put in any cell towers yet.
weirdsmiley.gif
So I suppose he is out of communication this week. As soon as I hear back from him - unless someone else here is familiar with this rally I'm referring to in Mountain View - I'll kick it around with the executive committee and we'll come up with a plan. Keep the comments, input and suggestions coming!

BTW - any word on when the Missouri Hoon rally is going to be this year? Or is that even on?
Are you referring to this meetup? https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/167858-hooterville-2016-oct-6-9/?p=1306654

Regarding your Alabama meetup, I might be willing to in the future. I'm pegged with vacation time to do Hooterville this fall, but maybe something happens and I can make it...or I look to see whether this happens in 2017 as well. Never been to 'Bama...so I'm always interested in seeing new places that have good riding.

Thanks Wheatie! I don't believe that's the one Cornbread was talking about. I'm certain it is in Mountain View and will be located at a motorcycle friendly hotel/campground. I'll get the info from him next week and we'll go from there. I'm really leaning towards merging the two.... they might consider it more like us crashing their party, but like we ever cared about acting like hooligans.... I just love riding in Arky!

What are the dates for Hooterville this year? Not being lazy, but I'm running out the door and don't have the time to look it up. Headed your way for the weekend actually. Mrs. Bandit and I are going to be in the Palmetto state for a show in Charleston. Was scheduled to be an FJR ride for us originally. But I haven't even gotten around to washing the damn thing, much less servicing it, after my May 31st return from a 10 day, 5,000 mile NM/CO ride.

We'll definitely put together an Alabama thing, either later this year or Spring 2017. That's just something that needs to be done. JSNS!

October 6th - 9th (Thursday to Sunday) 2016. In the Farmington area of Missouri.

So yer probably talkin about the HOONs?

NAFO + Hooterville = no more multi-day trips in 2016 for me. Sorry, FJRBandit; enjoyed your ride along the river a few months ago. Hope to see you in Hooterville, that is, I'll see you if you ride slower than the speed of light ...

I like the idea of a "Springtime in Alabama" ride. That might get some of our yankee buddies to join us.

I like the idea of a "Springtime in Alabama" ride. That might get some of our yankee buddies to join us.
I'm all for an Alabama get together/ride sometime. I'm about 2 hours from Hoover (close to Auburn)

Can this happen please? I've attended SFOs in the past, staying in Eureka Springs and at the Hub. While I enjoyed the roads, people, lodgings, it was becoming (*gasp*) a boring repeat. Three years later and I still see the Hub mentioned. I would vote for moving it further south. Alabama would be a great ride for me.

I appreciate the level of effort required to put one of these events together, and I really like the simplicity of SFO. I don't need more swag, I don't care if Yamaha sponsors. I want to ride.

Also, I really like sweet tea...let's make this sh*t happen!
punk.gif

sincerely,

-yank-in-omahell

Doug36854 posted: I'm all for an Alabama get together/ride sometime. I'm about 2 hours from Hoover (close to Auburn)
Dude, you're adjacent to Georgia ... which, I suppose, in a way, is close to Auburn. And isn't Valley in the Eastern Time Zone?

Hello Bandit. Any of those choices sound good to me. I'm all for any type of motorcycle camping. I don't mind riding down to Alabama especially in the Fall when the weather is nice.

Regarding your Alabama meetup, I might be willing to in the future. I'm pegged with vacation time to do Hooterville this fall, but maybe something happens and I can make it...or I look to see whether this happens in 2017 as well. Never been to 'Bama...so I'm always interested in seeing new places that have good riding.

I'm all for an Alabama get together/ride sometime. I'm about 2 hours from Hoover (close to Auburn)

Can this happen please? I've attended SFOs in the past, staying in Eureka Springs and at the Hub. While I enjoyed the roads, people, lodgings, it was becoming (*gasp*) a boring repeat. Three years later and I still see the Hub mentioned. I would vote for moving it further south. Alabama would be a great ride for me.

I appreciate the level of effort required to put one of these events together, and I really like the simplicity of SFO. I don't need more swag, I don't care if Yamaha sponsors. I want to ride.

Also, I really like sweet tea...let's make this sh*t happen!
punk.gif

sincerely,

-yank-in-omahell

My apologies guys, I was on a little R&R trip to Charleston, SC with Mrs. Bandit over the weekend and just getting back in the swing of things. BTW, Charleston is one cool ass town! But I digress.

It seems there is a little animosity that we've never done an FJR rally in Alabama.
not_i.gif
As I mentioned previously, there is some decent riding around Alabama. Certainly not on par with the Ozarks or the Smokies, but there are areas with some nice elevation changes, sweepers and a few areas with some technical riding. I pretty well know the entire northern two-thirds of the state like the back of my hand. I also know most all of the (good) bbq joints, hamburger spots and of course good ole' beer drinkin' joints. Anyway, I guess what I am saying is, it's hard to promote my state for a rally to guys that I know want to do some intense twisty butt riding all day (like I love to do as well). But I guess as long as everyone knows the score, I am game in hosting an event. The weekend of Thursday, Oct. 27th - Sunday October 30th would work best for me. Temps should be perfect for camping and camp fires, but yet still warm enough for some good riding weather. We can do a trial run this Fall and then next Spring have an all out rally, complete with rally points and prizes. Those in attendance in the Fall would have a little jump on some of the locations and rally points for an all out Spring rally that we could plan and organize during this meet.

My property is located in Jemison, which is only about 30 miles south of the Birmingham suburbs. It's down I-65 and located one mile from the interstate. It is ideal for camping, grilling and chilling. For those that prefer not to camp, I do have a large metal building that can provide sheltered "accommodations" ie, air mattress, or there are hotels ranging in price from $55 to $100 /n within 15 minutes either way on Interstate-65. There is good riding within minutes from my property, but the better riding is within an hour to an hour and a half up near Cheaha State Park and other points along the way. Also within an hour of my property is the Barber Motorsports Park and Museum. Barber can be built into a loop that involves the Cheaha State Park area riding, to make a full day of activities including good riding and visiting the museum, for those that haven't visited Barber and would like to. There are other areas of good riding to the west. It's some good rural back country riding in that direction, or even points to the east have some really good rural, scenic riding. Also there is a national forest nearby that has well maintained forestry roads for those that want to bring their dual sports and enjoy a little that nature has to offer. I have a couple of V-stroms at present that I might be willing to "share" to those that want to go in that direction and aren't on their own dual sport bike. For those that want to get up and get after it one day, I can put together a ride up to the Ft. Payne/Little River Canyon area for you. Anyway, there are plenty of options, as long as you don't expect to ride the Dragon for three days.
uhoh.gif

I still plan to go to Arky at some point in the Fall for a long weekend. Whether it be the thing Cornbread mentioned to me (and still hasn't gotten back to me about) or even Hooterville, I'll very likely be going to Arky in September or early Oct. But if there is enough interest we'll do a camping weekend ride out of my place the last weekend of Oct. Anyway, it's out there. For those that are interested, just post up here and we'll start piecing it together.

Doug36854 posted: I'm all for an Alabama get together/ride sometime. I'm about 2 hours from Hoover (close to Auburn)
Dude, you're adjacent to Georgia ... which, I suppose, in a way, is close to Auburn God's Country. And isn't Valley in the Eastern Time Zone?
Fixed it for ya Hud. Of course you pesterin' flyin' insects wouldn't know much about that anyway would ya since you chickened out and quit playing us 30 years ago!
smile.png
AU vs. GT rivalry at one time was one of the oldest in the South

And to your question re Valley and the Eastern Time Zone. Officially, Valley is in the Central Time Zone, but unofficially observes and operates on Eastern Time. The West Point Pepperell mill located there has always run on Eastern Time. So as goes the mill, so goes the community of Valley, AL. My mother was born up the road in a little place called Abanda. We have family in Valley and that's the way it always was back in the day, I guess it just continues on today.

FJRBandit posted:Fixed it for ya Hud. Of course you pesterin' flyin' insects wouldn't know much about that anyway would ya since you chickened out and quit playing us 30 years ago!
smile.png
AU vs. GT rivalry at one time was one of the oldest in the South

And to your question re Valley and the Eastern Time Zone. Officially, Valley is in the Central Time Zone, but unofficially observes and operates on Eastern Time. The West Point Pepperell mill located there has always run on Eastern Time. So as goes the mill, so goes the community of Valley, AL. My mother was born up the road in a little place called Abanda. We have family in Valley and that's the way it always was back in the day, I guess it just continues on today.
I believe, my delirious friend, that you've been drinking at breakfast again. If you note the score (and winner) of our last two meetings, you'll see why I would love to have Auburn back on a home-and-away schedule.

September 6, 2003: Atlanta, GA, Georgia Tech, 17–3

September 3, 2005: Auburn, AL, Georgia Tech, 23–14

I did see this guy named Bo Jackson singlehandedly beat us in Atlanta during our (abysmal Bill Curry) 1983 season, at almost 7 yards per carry. Took him out at halftime, thank goodness, after he'd gained over 150 yards. I was appropriately impressed.

Your weekend is Homecoming vs. Duke. If our season's already ruined by then, count on me in attendance. If not, count on me for (at least) Sunday.

I was hoping that you wouldn't take the time to analyze the link Hud!!!!
lol.gif
That's funny about the Bo game at Grant Field in 1983. I was there too! Had a big bottle of Jack that didn't have near as much in it when I left as it did when I got to the stadium.
yeaahh.gif

A funny story about your boy Bill Curry. When Alabama came to Auburn for the first time ever in 1989 it was a madhouse, as you can just imagine. Curry had been at Alabama for three years at that point and Auburn had beat him every year. Well, there truly was an electricity in the air like I have never, and likely never will, witness ever again in my lifetime. Alabama was 10-0 and #2 in the nation. I think Auburn was 9-1 and ranked around 8th or so. But as the Bammer buses came rolling down S. Donahue Dr. making their way to the stadium the massive crowd surrounded their buses and started shaking them, chanting over and over, "Auburn don't worry, Bama's got Curry"! I can only imagine what the players were thinking - probably something along the lines of "these people are NUTS!!!" It was a beautiful day - we prevailed 30-20 and won a share of our third consecutive SEC Championship titles. You are right, Bill Curry was ABYSMAL!

Back on topic here.... I'm going to go ahead and count you in. If last year was any kind of a precursor to the upcoming season, your season will be ruined by then anyway.
bleh.gif

Alright, let's hear it from some of you other campers, and even you hotel princesses (like me). Does that weekend work for you???

Alright, let's hear it from some of you other campers, and even you hotel princesses (like me). Does that weekend work for you???
Last weekend of October up in da nawth is chilly. I have riding gear appropriate and hope there isn't a freak early snow. I'm blocking that weekend and started routing options.

Pencil. Me. In.

I worked for FEMA during Hurricane Ivan around the Gulf Shores area. I'd like to visit Alabama where the trees are still vertical and buildings have roofs.