SFO 2017 - Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is due with our next kiddo on November 5th. Is that cutting it too close?! I hated getting sick right before the trip last year and I was so hoping to make this one.
You know, they have a thing called the "rhythm method" that assists with family planning. Just sayin'
coolsmiley02.gif

JK Abel, congratulations on the upcoming addition to your beautiful family! As they say, there's always next year.
smile.png

My wife is due with our next kiddo on November 5th. Is that cutting it too close?! I hated getting sick right before the trip last year and I was so hoping to make this one.
You know, they have a thing called the "rhythm method" that assists with family planning. Just sayin'
coolsmiley02.gif

JK Abel, congratulations on the upcoming addition to your beautiful family! As they say, there's always next year.
smile.png
Thanks Turk! If I would have seen the post for 2017 a little earlier I would have adjusted my rhythm
rolleyes.gif

coolsmiley02.gif

smile.png
Thanks Turk! If I would have seen the post for 2017 a little earlier I would have adjusted my rhythm
rolleyes.gif
LOL! Good one! But you know, when I set the dates I was trying to post it up early enough so that everyone could make their riding plans for the season. I just didn't factor in all types of riding I suppose.
bike.gif
jester.gif

Hmmmmm.

Pretty sure I mentioned that I'm in and will attempt my first ever moto-camping trip. Got plenty of camping experience, and a fair amount of moto-experience, but nary a single instance of them together.

Tyler - I tried to send you a PM but received an error message. Can you shoot me an email - same address as the PayPal address

Petey?!?!

That Pelican case is still magnificent. You'll see it when we're parked. There's no way I'll be in front once we start riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the process of getting some camping gear. Tent will arrive this week. Days are blocked on the calendar and I need to get on the bike and go for a good long ride. I am a lot closer to being in and not a maybe.

Joe

This is shaping up quite nicely with time to spare. I still need to send you some bucks though.

GP

No hurries GP. I'd just like for everyone to try and send the money via PayPal about a month or so out. If you do send your money via PayPal and your plans change, I will send you a refund. No worries, just try to let me know at least a week before the event.

Same as for those planning to pay cash at the event, PLEASE let me know at least one week in advance if at all possible if you aren't going to be able to make it. I'd really like to have a solid head count at least one week out. I'll be buying some of the non-perishable food and supplies a few days out and want to make sure that I don't way overbuy, I already have extra food built into the equation and don't need a bunch of left over pie and plates.
jester.gif
This helps keeps the costs down for everyone.

I was asked in the other sandbox about recommended roads to ride ---

Last year since so few people had ridden in Alabama most of them wanted to stay in large groups. Maybe this year I'm hopeful people will get out and explore a little bit!

With that being said, these are the Alabama State highway numbers I threw out for everyone last year:

East of I-65 and south of I-20, you'll want to look at State Roads, 9, 14, 22, 25, 48, 49, 77, 148, 229, 281 (281 is the Cheaha State Park road that we did both days last year)

West of I-65 and south of I-20/59, some of the same numbers and a couple of others, 14, 22, 25, 69, 183, 191 - much further south, below Selma, I also love 10, 21, 41 and 47.

For those that want to venture north of the Tuscaloosa area, I recommend US 43, AL 17, 18, 69, 96 and 171 just to name a few.

I posted a suggested route for those that wanted to run up to Little River Canyon, but I don't think anyone did that. A group did hit the canyon on their departure, but not on one of the days we where we had festivities lined up in the evening.

The roads listed above will offer some minor to moderate level of technical riding, but always are variety of beautiful countryside. If anyone has any other suggested roads or places to visit please post them up! Also, if anyone would like for me to help them set up a nice route for the day just shoot me a PM.

One of these days ..... JSNS
I kept saying that. And kept saying that. And then BeemerdonS went off and died. I never met him in person. And then Big Sky died too. I never met him either. So even though I cannot make but one gathering a year, I make an effort and I drag Dear Old Dad along with me. Pop will not last forever and neither will the rest of us.

That is how I met YOU and a whole bunch of other wonderful forum folks.

JSNS