SFO 2018 - September 27th-30th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBandit

Reaction score
For those that don't want to read the entire thing --- I am providing a down and dirty executive summary

Executive Summary

SFO will be held September 27th thru 30th in Jemison, Alabama. We'll ride during the day and eat and socialize in the evening. Dinner will be served Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. You can camp onsite for free or stay at a nearby hotel. We have a group rate at the Inn of Clanton, 12 miles from SFO Central. (see below for rate and contact info) The cost for the event is $60 per person and includes meals all three nights and tipsey taxi to and from the hotel if necessary. If all of this interest you and you aren't familiar with the details, then see The Details below. If this doesn't interest you, feel free to move on to the next thread.
smile.png

The Details

After some light discussion, it was decided that we'll hold SFO at my property in Jemison, ALABAMA again this year. The only change is the date. Mrs. Bandit and I will be hosting this year at the end of September, the weekend following EOM. This was done to allow for those that want to attend both events back to back, with a little riding in the Appalachians in between.

As many have learned over the past couple of years, there is actually some decent riding around the state of Alabama. While certainly not on par with the Ozarks or the Smokies, there are areas with some nice elevation changes, sweepers and even a few areas with some technical riding. We also have some fun dual sport riding nearby. So those of you with dual sport bikes might want to consider bringing those instead of the FJR, just a thought.

I will be posting this over on the fjriders forum. This event is wide open to all, it doesn't have to be FJR only. So tell your non-FJR buddies as well. Generally, folks just need to be sport/adventure tour minded and you are welcome! So on with the plan -----

The Weekend

This event will be held Thursday, September 27th thru Sunday, September 30th. The average temperature at the end of September in Central Alabama typically ranges from around 60 in the morning to low 80's in the afternoon. Last year we had abnormally wet, cold weather at the end of October and the year before we had mid to upper 80's at the end of October. So you just never know. But with the move to the last week of September, we can expect warmer temps, but it shouldn't be blazing hot.

The Location

My property is located in Jemison, AL, which is only about 30 miles south of the Birmingham suburbs. It's only one mile off of Interstate 65 at Exit 219. The site is located on 21 wooded acres of serenity and is ideal for camping, grilling and chilling.

Directions from Exit 219 to the property

The Eats

Just as last year, after we return from riding, on Friday night we'll have the low-country shrimp boil with kielbasa, corn, and potatoes and on Saturday night, Stan the Man will be preparing Boston Butt BBQ and ribs for us again this year. Of course, an assortment of pies will be available each night for dessert, or even for your main meal if you so desire!
biggrin.png
We'll also have something for the Thursday arrivals as well. Not sure if Mrs. Bandit will be preparing her chicken sausage gumbo or if I'll be grilling burgers, but either way, we will be serving dinner Thursday night. There will also be pastries, fruit and coffee on site each morning for the tent campers. A very large, full breakfast buffet is available at Shoney's next door to the hotel at no additional charge as it is included in your nightly room rate.

The event is BYOB - but for those that will be staying at the hotel, fear not, the tipsey taxi will be running again this year and we will get you from the hotel to SFO Central each night and back to the hotel after the festivities.

The Cost

Let's plan on $60 per person again this year, whether staying onsite or at the hotel. That will cover all three evening meals, morning pastries and coffee for those staying on site and the cost of the port-a-potty.

Method of payment - either cash or Pay Pal. [email protected] Feel free to wait until a month or so before the event to send payment.

Accommodations - Tent Campers

Just as last year, my property will be open and available for tent campers. I have plenty of space for as many tent campers as could even possibly show up. There is at least an acre of wooded area that is cleared out, grubbed and generally level. If you are camping you shouldn't have any trouble finding an ideal spot!

For those that prefer not to camp outdoors, I have a large metal building that has a 1,000 sq. ft. apartment built inside. It is complete with a full eat-in kitchen and a full bathroom. While I will be utilizing the one bedroom in the apartment, those that don't want to camp are welcomed to use the large shop area inside the larger building if you just want to throw down an air mattress. It's certainly not Holiday Inn but at least it will provide free sheltered "accommodations" and can be used by the tent campers in the unlikely event of inclement weather.

Since my apartment onsite only has one bathroom we'll also have a port-a-potty on site. While everyone is welcomed to use the facilities in the apartment, it will just be a space available issue. And you better keep it clean, or my wife will kick your ass!
tango_face_grin.png

Accommodations - Hotel

For those like me that need a real bed, I have arranged for a group rate at a hotel about 15 minutes away on Interstate-65. I will also arrange for transportation to and from the hotel in the evenings after we get back from riding so that you can enjoy a few adult beverages and not have to be on the bike to and from the evening festivities at the property.

The hotel recommendation is the Inn of Clanton, same place as last year. I received no negative feedback on the place and the most current reviews on Google seem to support that nothing has changed. It's no frills, but clean, reportedly comfortable and the price is right. They have a mini fridge in each room and the price includes a FULL breakfast from the breakfast bar at Shoney's Restaurant next door to the hotel.

The price is $54 plus tax for a single and $62 plus tax for a double (they have to charge the extra $8 for the second person in the room due to the breakfast charge). The total with tax is $61.56 for a single and $70.68 for two people in a room.

Please contact the hotel directly and inform them that you will be with the SFO group to get the special rate.

Inn of Clanton
946 Lake Mitchell Road
Clanton, AL 35045
205-755-7829
I 65 - Exit 208

Current List of Attendees -

Camping at SFO HQ

fjrbandit and Mrs. Bandit - owner's cabin
wink.png

hondapotamus

HPPants

craigsregs

danh600

Redfish and Pops ( at Peachqueen Campground)

Staying at the Clanton Inn

FJRfarrier

Tyler

LA2wheeler
Cornbread
Mfletch69 x2
winewhisperer
graler
LKLD x2
griff
wheatonFJR
GPRIDER
festar
pjleduc x2
natehawk750 x2
dsbiker x2
creg-ny-baa
(I will try to keep this list updated as people respond to this thread or on the other forum)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ms. Farrier and I pitched our tents inside the Bandit Castle last year to keep ice from forming on them. Here's a wish for typical autumn weather in the Southeast.

IN. (and thanks, brother, for doing it again!)

Ms. Farrier and I pitched our tents inside the Bandit Castle last year to keep ice from forming on them. Here's a wish for typical autumn weather in the Southeast.
IN. (and thanks, brother, for doing it again!)
I'm going to go out on a limb and "guarantee" the only ice we'll see this year is the ice keeping the beverages cold.
smile.png

Glad to see that you are IN my friend, and btw, you're welcome, it's our pleasure to host all of these hooligans.
w00t.gif

Well it's a decent bet that 'Ole Pants is gonna end up over there again this year. My hope is to attend EOM, force myself to wander around those miserable Appalachian roads for a week, and then wind up at Turk and Jana's for the SFO shin dig.

I'll make a note to starch my shorts before I get there. Got to keep up appearances, ya know.

SkooterG, EOM and SFO are good excuses. Let me know if you need a bed in the Big ATL.

It will be good to see you again, natehawk.

It will be good to see you again, natehawk.

Latest posts