SFO 2018 - September 27th-30th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
festar must be from Southern Australia.
coolsmiley02.gif
Festar is from Taree NSW AU. Taree is about 4 hours North East of Sydney.

The other motorcyclist of note from Taree is Troy Bayliss, Festar is a better rider, JSNS

You've heard of the two-minute warning. Well, here's your two-month warning - we're officially two months from the start of SFO 2018. Just a reminder for those that plan to stay at the hotel, you might want to go ahead and give them a call and make your reservation if you haven't already. I don't expect they'll fill up, but late September in Alabama is prime time for fishing and this hotel is close to a popular fishing lake. The hotel hosts groups of fishermen all the time. So I suggest making your reservation even if you are still on the fence. You can always call and cancel a day or two in advance if you see that you aren't going to be able to make it.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple of months!

Hello Turk. I'm officially submitting my no RSVP to this years event. Love to make it 3 in a row but going on a cruise with the LOML to celebrate 30 years of marital bliss. Tell Jana howdy from Texas and enjoy the activities with the incoming hooligans.

Thanks Dave! We'll miss you bud, but Happy Anniversary to you and your bride! I hope you have a great time on the cruise.

BTW, there was some discussion of dual sport riding at SFO in the "other" forum.

I suggested the Oakmulgee District of the Talladega National Forest, which is nowhere near Talladega. The area north of AL 25 and east of the Payne Lake Recreation area is my favorite. The roads are forest service roads that a 2 wheel drive truck or even a car could traverse. The "700" series roads are the ones I like to ride. None of these roads are very challenging as long as you have at least 80/20 tires. https://goo.gl/maps/dxHJDkbqzPw

However, if you want something a little more challenging then head to the Talladega District of the Talladega National Forest located near Talladega and Cheaha State Park. There are excellent dual sporting opportunities there as well. You can take the old SkyLine Drive from just outside of Sylacauga, up through Cheaha State Park, past Heflin and into Piedmont. It provides some very challenging off-road sections and some scenic mountain vistas. The first 30 miles is extremely rocky in sections and requires good clearance and excellent off-road skills. The middle section is 30+ miles of excellent paved surface riding on the outstanding AL 281 through Cheaha. The final 30 or so miles is some leisurely off-road riding similar to that in Oakmulgee. The whole trek is 98 miles, essentially all along the ridgeline of Cheaha Mountain. Between riding to and from and then the full 98 miles it is an ALL DAY ride. In my opinion, the first section I described is a little too rough for the V-strom, although I have done it on the strom. https://goo.gl/maps/74z8AuoD7ms

The Bankhead National Forest, north of Double springs also offers some excellent, non-challenging but VERY SCENIC dual sport riding. But it is a little further from Jemison than the other two. Actually, that area offers some great hiking and is probably the most scenic wilderness area in the State of Alabama, especially if you do a little off trail hiking. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/alabama/ ... ev3_002553 For those interested in doing a little hiking and riding combo I can map out a nice paved ride to and fro for you. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_ME ... 274999.jpg

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="bigjohnsd" data-cid="1399557" data-time="1529590463"><p>

Festar will be there.</p></blockquote>

Fixed it :(

I have to return to Spearfish following EOM. Sorry I'll miss your true Southern Hospitality this year Turk. Take good care of "The Aussie" he is not known for his planning and frequently requires direction. JSNS

BTW, I just confirmed our entertainment for SFO 2018. Allen Barlow has been booked for his third performance at SFO! We'll find out in the next day or two if his sidekick, Jon will be joining him again this year. Those that have seen them the past couple of years can tell those of you that haven't the treat you are in for!

Also, this year I have a little surprise in store for you on Friday night. 😁

Getting close now! Get those reservations made if you haven't already.

At SFO, "happy hour" runs from about 4:30 pm until midnight.

Last year was worse than the previous one for Pants. I was already 2.5 sheets in the wind and Mark started egging me on with that Honey Jack. Then Allen starts playing this AWESOME rendition of some Led Zeppelin classics and I forgot most of my manners and got stupid. Even pulled out a few of the old Disco moves on Debbie and Tyler. Thank heavens those two are good sports. Sheezzz....

Me thinks this year, I'll stick to the Tequila.....

Last edited by a moderator:
At SFO, "happy hour" runs from about 4:30 pm until midnight.
Last year was worse than the previous one for Pants. I was already 2.5 sheets in the wind and Mark started egging me on with that Honey Jack. Then Allen starts playing this AWESOME rendition of some Led Zeppelin classics and I forgot most of my manners and got stupid. Even pulled out a few of the old Disco moves on Debbie and Tyler. Thank heavens those two are good sports. Sheezzz....

Me thinks this year, I'll stick to the Tequila.....
You were quite entertaining... ;) :lol:

Pop and I have reservations at the Peach Queen Campground very close to SFO headquarters. The Plan is to drag my little toy hauler up there with our new Dual Sports tucked into the back. I will have my truck to do some supplemental Tipsy Taxi work as long as the passengers don't mind that the driver is the Tipsy one.

This is a BIG departure from the normal for Pop and I. I just hope it all works out.

I hope Pop can get comfortable in this thing, it can get crowded inside these little campers. This pic was taken a couple years ago in the Lower Campground at Cheaha State Park.

So sorry life forces me to miss this fine event this year. Watching Pants get into the "Shampoo" is/was most entertaining, then watching him recover the next day was even better. And, who remembers our host, Mr. Honey Jack himself?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember an All Star Cast for the ride back to the hotel. I had you, Festar and 0Face along with Pop as a co-pilot. That was a lot of FJR Awesomeness in the cab of Pop's GMC. I was honored to be a chauffeur.