SFO 2019 - Official Thread - October 24th thru 27th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, as a member of that club, that is justifiable. While I certainly love SFO, Turks "camp climb" would NOT be the hill I want to die on!!!
smile.png

Is it too early to start a countdown? I'm getting itchy!!!

In the spirit of the week of our celebration of the 50th anniversary of man walking on the moon for the first time in history, I'd say now is a good time to start the countdown -

T minus 98 days, 6 hours, 4 minutes and presently 21 seconds and counting.
hyper.gif

I've been doing some thinking. Yeah, I'm sometimes capable of that.
default_biggrin.png
But I met with an Iron Butt Rally finisher last night and garnered enough inspiration from the meeting to believe I can pull this off. What is it you say? Well, since you asked, I'm going to put together a short, informal, fun rally for us for Saturday at SFO if there is enough interest. It won't take many, but as long as there are 6 to 8 that want to participate, I'll throw it together.

No rally fee or anything, but we'll have prizes for first place and last place finishers. Also, I'll release the POI's a week in advance so those that want to really plan things out have a little time to do so. Might even throw a couple of bonus locations in on Friday evening to shake things up.

So let's hear it... who of you might have an interest in participating in a 6-7 hour rally, with a nice list of points of interest within 100 or so mile radius of Jemison on Saturday?

Depending on the level of interest I'll get it all together with details by Oct 1st if we're gonna do this.

biggrin.png
But I met with an Iron Butt Rally finisher last night and garnered enough inspiration from the meeting to believe I can pull this off. What is it you say? Well, since you asked, I'm going to put together a short, informal, fun rally for us for Saturday at SFO if there is enough interest. It won't take many, but as long as there are 6 to 8 that want to participate, I'll throw it together.
No rally fee or anything, but we'll have prizes for first place and last place finishers. Also, I'll release the POI's a week in advance so those that want to really plan things out have a little time to do so. Might even throw a couple of bonus locations in on Friday evening to shake things up.

So let's hear it... who of you might have an interest in participating in a 6-7 hour rally, with a nice list of points of interest within 100 or so mile radius of Jemison on Saturday?

Depending on the level of interest I'll get it all together with details by Oct 1st if we're gonna do this.
Depending on how the weather is, I'm going to be leaving sometime on Saturday to make sure I get back to the house in time for work the next week. I'm gonna have to pass on the rally, but it sounds like a fun idea.

We've already had some excitement out of the gate in the other sandbox. I think we'll be able to make this happen.

One of the reasons I wanted to do this was to give some folks that have been interested in dabbling in rallying but just haven't waded into the waters yet a chance to play around some. I've done one in my life, outside of Toronto a few years ago and I had a blast just following along with a couple of local participants I met the morning of the rally. It gave me a chance to see things in the area I wouldn't have otherwise seen.

BTW - my buddy that I was referring to that was an Iron Butt Finisher this year is the Earthrooster. Some of you may remember him from here on the FJRforum. He used to be a regular contributor. He's has dove into the rally scene and will be running a (real) one the weekend following SFO out of Valdosta, Georgia. Mfletch and I are definitely in for that one. It's for newbies (like Mfletch and I both) and experienced rallyiers alike. It's just a one day/10 hour rally and sounds like great fun to me. If anyone is interested check out his rally page here https://sedigitalrally.com/2019/07/24/sedsh-2019/

If you guys haven't met the Rooster before, he's a great guy! I hope he gets a chance to swing by SFO this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJRBandit posted, in part:
Hell yeah, bitches! I'm in!!

I mean ... Why sure, Bandit, I'll give it a shot, you know, to support the host and his plans for this party meeting. Check your mailbox ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as a member of that club, that is justifiable. While I certainly love SFO, Turks "camp climb" would NOT be the hill I want to die on!!!
smile.png

Word is you're always itchy. J/S.

biggrin.png

First, greetings, all!

Second, I've put in for the time so put me in for staying at the Inn.

Third: I'd probably be game for the rally thing. Watching for more info.

smile.png

Word is you're always itchy. J/S.

biggrin.png

First, greetings, all!

Second, I've put in for the time so put me in for staying at the Inn.

Third: I'd probably be game for the rally thing. Watching for more info.

Awesome! Been wondering where you were??
default_wink.png

There has been very good response regarding the rally rally in the other sandbox. We will be moving forward with that and I will be posting more info in this forum prior to Oct. 1st. Stay tuned!

Never been to the SFO. Recently picked up a 2015 and Me and my partner in crime will be there. We plan to camp with our Toyhauler at Peach Queen campground. I'll PayPal you.

Never been to the SFO. Recently picked up a 2015 and Me and my partner in crime will be there. We plan to camp with our Toyhauler at Peach Queen campground. I'll PayPal you.

WOW!  Great news!  Looking forward to meeting you and your partner Mr. Ed.

PayPal received.  Thank you! 

UPDATE - 9/16/19

With just over five weeks before the start of SFO,  I just wanted to remind those that will be staying at the hotel to call the hotel directly and let them know you will be with the SFO rally in order to get the group rate.  Please contact the hotel directly and inform them that you will be with the SFO group to get the special rate of $62 plus tax (breakfast bar at Shoney's is included)Inn of Clanton946 Lake Mitchell RoadClanton, AL 35045205-755-7829I 65 - Exit 208

Also, with my two week ride to New England now behind me I plan to get back on the planning for our rally rally that will be held on Saturday - I'll get the specifics together in the next couple of weeks.  But if you have never participated in a rally before, then this will be just the one for you.  Your participation is certainly not required, but I think you'll find it to be very low key,  with minimal rules and most of all, just a fun way to see some sites you probably would otherwise never see.  So think about it and if you are interested in participating and haven't already noted your interest in a post on this thread, just let me know.   

Those that feel like sending in your $60 per person rally fee via Paypal - send that to [email protected] -  please use the "Sending to a Friend" option so that Paypal doesn't deduct a fee from the payment.  Or just bring cash to the event - that's works too.  Thanks!

The RULES for the SFO Rally Rally have been posted. They are listed in the second post in SFO Rally Rally thread in the other Sandbox - I have edited my original post from August 9th. Check it out and let me know VIA email at [email protected] if you plan to participate so that I can send you the Rally POI List on October 15th.  If you aren't in the other sandbox, just shoot me a message and I'll email the "Rules and Info" to you.

Just over three weeks from SFO 2019 now. MrsBandit and I are looking forward to seeing everyone and hope many of you decide to participate in the Rally Rally!  But no worries, if you don't want to participate in the Rally Rally, no big deal, enjoy your Saturday doing whatever you want to do, it is not mandatory at all.  What is mandatory is that everyone be safe and have a great time!  At present, we have over 40 people coming from 20 states signed up with over ten people camping on-site, six at Peach Queen campground in their campers and 20 plus at the hotel.  We'll certainly need some help with the Typsey taxi - volunteers welcomed!

Many of you have already sent me your rally fee via PayPal.  Thank you all for that.  Those of you that just want to bring cash to the event, that's fine, no problem.  But if something comes up and you are going to have to miss out, please try to let me know a few days in advance so that we can make sure we purchase approximately the right number of groceries.   :D

See you all soon! Any questions, just post them up here.