Sharing rides and YouTube challenges

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for taking the time to watch the videos and write such a thoughtful response. You know the effort and time that’s put into the videos. I’ve never played with adobe, to me power director seems more user friendly with the ability to expand as I learn. I’m still learning, but having fun. I’d love to see some of your videos
I sure hope you did not take my earlier response to be critical as I think what your creating is fantastic. Yes its is very time consuming and I always call it a labor of love. For me its totally worth creating any video as it will live on forever. One day when I am too old to ride I can look back and relive the fantastic memories created. Those early family and motorcycles videos are already priceless. We really enjoy checking out the riding trip videos going back to the late 90's and 2000's from time to time. Even though the resolution was poor compared to today, its the content that matters.

As I said earlier most of my videos are private but here is one of my 360 videos that I made from last spring. Like you I am still learning the vast amount of technicality of 360. It sure is powerful and its fun trying to figure out the best places and how to mount the camera etc. Then of course the editing is very time consuming and there is so much to learn. For both of us, it will get better over time. Hope you enjoy my short 2 minute video of the Snake aka Rt 421 in Tenn. Thanks

I sure hope you did not take my earlier response to be critical as I think what your creating is fantastic. Yes its is very time consuming and I always call it a labor of love. For me its totally worth creating any video as it will live on forever. One day when I am too old to ride I can look back and relive the fantastic memories created. Those early family and motorcycles videos are already priceless. We really enjoy checking out the riding trip videos going back to the late 90's and 2000's from time to time. Even though the resolution was poor compared to today, its the content that matters.

As I said earlier most of my videos are private but here is one of my 360 videos that I made from last spring. Like you I am still learning the vast amount of technicality of 360. It sure is powerful and its fun trying to figure out the best places and how to mount the camera etc. Then of course the editing is very time consuming and there is so much to learn. For both of us, it will get better over time. Hope you enjoy my short 2 minute video of the Snake aka Rt 421 in Tenn. Thanks

Some constructive feedback is good but i did not take your response as critical. Your video is set to private so I’m unable to view it. I’m sure it’s great though l.

I go back and forth on some of the tiny planet related stuff too. But she’s experimenting and trying different effects.

we have Insta 360 X2 and X3. If you only have one camera you can’t really go wrong. We are seeing more and more GoPro sure hard switch or add them to their tool kit.
The perspective is outstanding. Where are you mounting the camera and is this the one cam you are using?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1724558-REG

The perspective is outstanding. Where are you mounting the camera and is this the one cam you are using?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1724558-REG
We have two of those X3 and 2 of the X2 models. His abs hers gets ridiculous expensive.

We have a couple X2 and within a couple months the X3 came out. No notice of upcoming new model or we world have waited for the X3.

Been a blessing except for paying the damn CC off.

We mount where ever we can get a clamp on. Crash cage, frame, Handel bars, etc. Still experimenting. The dragon tails series she currently working on the camera was mounted vertical passenger grab handle. You can see it in shadows plus some of the stills she inserted on episode 2 right after the road side camera dudes appear.

Been watching a lot of 360 videos and researching 360 cameras. I think I've decided the need to see myself on the video is not for me. The whole looking in a fish bowl affect is turning me off. I'll probably stick with my GoPros. But who knows, if I get one as a gift I'll play with it some.

Forgot to ask which video did you like the perspective on?

If it was tunnel of trees that’s mounted on frame midish level.

The dragon related so far published is the rear handle grab vertical.
Thanks you inspired me to get my own X3 and will use on my ride to Death Valley, CA at end of March!

Apologies for the delay in my promised update. Maybe later today.

The wife has made a few new videos. Hoping to see if we can determine a new setting change mats a difference in video quality are you tube.

Does anyone here use or prefer Rumble, Facebook, Instagram etc to YouTube?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Tips we use for posting on YouTube: what we think we know

What we immediately noticed and fought with was uploaded videos looked drastically different than what we created and viewed before uploading. There was blurry, blotchy, and inconsistent quality throughout the videos. Frustrating does not come close to describing how discouraging it was for my wife to see her new creations look poor after uploading. Neither of have a background in making videos and have until recently carefully avoided posting on multiple media sites and avoided photos and videos in general. With no experience or training it’s been a constant uphill learning experience for both of us, though the wife is the primary force behind the video creation efforts.

WE ARE NOT EXPERTS AND ARE MAKING MOST OF THIS UP AS WE GO ALONG. Don’t consider anything shared in the post as a definitive authority. We are amateurs in a learning process with inexpensive tools.

What we discovered:

YouTube re-encodes all videos that are uploaded. There are two encoders with different characteristics, AC1 and VP9. The later is more consistent in providing much higher quality videos after uploads. VP9 is reserved supposedly for large established channels, though we’ve seen some big channels videos still using AC1, but it still played better than ours. Maybe this was the devices we used for viewing, more on this later. The other and more reliable way to get YouTube to encode videos with VP9 is to upload content in higher the HD quality. This equates to a minimum of 2K (1440p in our experience and research).

We have experimented with which video encoding format to use and so far, lean towards H.265 instead of H.264. While we are not making this a definitive recommendation it has been working for us. We see longer record times on SD cards, and smaller published file sizes. Do we see an improvement on quality? We think we do. While not officially supported by YouTube it does accept this format and seems to look ok. This format is more processor intensive to work with and may have some issues on older equipment and viewers.

It probably goes without saying but be VERY careful with music and anything else that may have copywrite protections. YouTube is the “Third Reich” with scanning and monitoring and will err on the side of misidentifying copywrite material even if it is free.

As a new channel you are at a great disadvantage to the larger channels in term of getting exposure, especially if you hope to some day earn gas money for your rides. Maybe one day …..

What we use:

After trying some free tools, we bit the bullet and paid for Power Director Suite and plan on purchasing a music subscription, but for now, we use free music.

• Recording Equipment:
  • Insta360 X2 and X3
    • Record settings vary but in general
      • Standard video X2
        • X2 allows encoding to specifically be set to H.265. We have not found this on the X3, yet.
      • HDR video X3 (bright conditions only – except when we forget)
        • Not good for low light
      • Format = 360 mode
      • Resolution = 5.7K
      • FPS = 30 fps
    • Insta360 Remote GPS
      • New and not tested yet
    • Linking phone to camera for GPS data
      • This too is new for us and seems to work but there is often a hefty lag issue we have not resolved yet. This is likely a software issue and due to rapid acceleration.
  • Editing and Publishing:
    • Insta360 Studio
      • Edit and export native 360 video from camera
      • Resolution exported = 2560 x 1440
      • Insta360 splits the 5.7K recording resolution between two separate camera lends so 360 recording is not able to be in 4K. At least without upscaling in your editing software.
      • Bitrate export should be equal to or close to rate you recorded at
        • This can vary with camera and SD card speed.
      • FPS = 30 fps
      • Video Encoding = H.265 or H.264
      • Video format = MP4
    • Power Director Suite
      • Export/Produce – (using custom setting as no default templates matched for us). Your milage may vary drastically from our experiences.
        • Video format = MP4
        • Resolution = 2560 x 1440 (1440P)
          • Custom setting that requires manual editing of the profile configuration file
        • Bitrate = 36000 H.265or 47000 H.264
          • Varies with encoding. Set to the mid our high range offered or is the build in defaults work for you use those.
          • Testing manually setting a constant bitrate to avoid variable bitrate issues.
          • This also requires manual editing of the profile configuration file
  • Additional future wish lists:
    • Remote mic/s
      • Wired or wireless for rider/bike
      • Desk if we ever to voice overs
  • Camera mounting hardware (can’t have too many options here!)

In a follow up post I’ll work on gathering a list of some of most used equipment and provide some links when possible.

Last edited:
Been watching a lot of 360 videos and researching 360 cameras. I think I've decided the need to see myself on the video is not for me. The whole looking in a fish bowl affect is turning me off. I'll probably stick with my GoPros. But who knows, if I get one as a gift I'll play with it some.
There’s only a fishbowl effect if you choose it during reframing.

Tips we use for posting on YouTube: what we think we know

What we immediately noticed and fought with was uploaded videos looked drastically different than what we created and viewed before uploading. There was blurry, blotchy, and inconsistent quality throughout the videos. Frustrating does not come close to describing how discouraging it was for my wife to see her new creations look poor after uploading. Neither of have a background in making videos and have until recently carefully avoided posting on multiple media sites and avoided photos and videos in general. With no experience or training it’s been a constant uphill learning experience for both of us, though the wife is the primary force behind the video creation efforts.

WE ARE NOT EXPERTS AND ARE MAKING MOST OF THIS UP AS WE GO ALONG. Don’t consider anything shared in the post as a definitive authority. We are amateurs in a learning process with inexpensive tools.

What we discovered:

YouTube re-encodes all videos that are uploaded. There are two encoders with different characteristics, AC1 and VP9. The later provides is more consistent in providing much higher quality videos after uploads. VP9 is reserved supposedly for large established channels, though we’ve seen some big channels videos still using AC1, but it still played better than ours. Maybe this was the devices we used for viewing, more on this later. The other and more reliable way to get YouTube to encode videos with VP9 is to upload content in higher the HD quality. This equates to a minimum of 2K (1440p in our experience and research).

We have experimented with which video encoding format to use and so far, lean towards H.265 instead of H.264. While we are not making this a definitive recommendation it has been working for us. We see longer record times on SD cards, and smaller published file sizes. Do we see an improvement on quality? We think we do. While not officially supported by YouTube it does accept this format and seems to look ok. This format is more processor intensive to work with and may have some issues on older equipment and viewers.

It probably goes without saying but be VERY careful with music and anything else that may have copywrite protections. YouTube is the “Third Reich” with scanning and monitoring and will err on the side of misidentifying copywrite material even if it is free.

As a new channel you are at a great disadvantage to the larger channels in term of getting exposure, especially if you hope to some day earn gas money for your rides. Maybe one day …..

What we use:

After trying some free tools, we bit the bullet and paid for Power Director Suite and plan on purchasing a music subscription, but for now, we use free music.

• Recording Equipment:
  • Insta360 X2 and X3
    • Record settings vary but in general
      • Standard video X2
        • X2 allows encoding to specifically be set to H.265. We have not found this on the X3, yet.
      • HDR video X3 (bright conditions only – except when we forget)
        • Not good for low light
      • Format = 360 mode
      • Resolution = 5.7K
      • FPS = 30 fps
    • Insta360 Remote GPS
      • New and not tested yet
    • Linking phone to camera for GPS data
      • This too is new for us and seems to work but there is often a hefty lag issue we have not resolved yet. This is likely a software issue and due to rapid acceleration.
  • Editing and Publishing:
    • Insta360 Studio
      • Edit and export native 360 video from camera
      • Resolution exported = 2560 x 1440
      • Insta360 splits the 5.7K recording resolution between two separate camera lends so 360 recording is not able to be in 4K. At least without upscaling in your editing software.
      • Bitrate export should be equal to or close to rate you recorded at
        • This can vary with camera and SD card speed.
      • FPS = 30 fps
      • Video format = MP4
    • Power Director Suite
      • Export/Produce – (using custom setting as no default templates matched for us). Your milage may vary drastically from our experiences.
        • Video format = MP4
        • Resolution = 2560 x 1440 (1440P)
          • Custom setting that requires manual editing of the profile configuration file
        • Bitrate = 36000 H.265or 47000 H.264
          • Varies with encoding. Set to the mid our high range offered or is the build in defaults work for you use those.
          • Testing manually setting a constant bitrate to avoid variable bitrate issues.
          • This also requires manual editing of the profile configuration file
  • Additional future wish lists:
    • Remote mic/s
      • Wired or wireless for rider/bike
      • Desk if we ever to voice overs
  • Camera mounting hardware (can’t have too many options here!)

In a follow up post I’ll work on gathering a list of some of most used equipment and provide some links when possible.
Great synopsis thanks!

I've had pretty good luck with music with only a few artists that I can't use but I'll never have the views to monetize my channel, it's mostly for my buddies anyway. Are you planning to get thousands of subscribers and make money off it?