Sharing rides and YouTube challenges

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAcracker

Reaction score
Wife is working on sharing some of our rides. She’s started from scratch with zero training or experience. We just bought a second FJR so she has a “big girl” bike for longer rides than her naked bike affords comfort.

Here’s her latest upload and unless you manually choose higher resolution it likely may not display the best quality level as seen prior to upload.

Direct Link to Video

Anyone care to share comments about content and suggestions to improve uploaded video quality?

https://youtube.com/@_ridewithme_

Last edited:
We are trying to plan her first ride on the FJR as driver instead of passenger. Plan to record and post in here the progress. Thinking a shortish trip to begin with, maybe to Monticello.

Last edited:
I go back and forth on some of the tiny planet related stuff too. But she’s experimenting and trying different effects.

we have Insta 360 X2 and X3. If you only have one camera you can’t really go wrong. We are seeing more and more GoPro sure hard switch or add them to their tool kit.

Last edited:
To be honest the audio isn't matching the visual. I guess what I'm trying to say is the music is too intense for the the video. If I closed my eyes I would think you were railing along the twisties or doing 80 MPH sweepers.

Sorry, just being honest.

To be honest the audio isn't matching the visual. I guess what I'm trying to say is the music is too intense for the the video. If I closed my eyes I would think you were railing along the twisties or doing 80 MPH sweepers.

Sorry, just being honest.
Thank you for the input. Honesty is appreciated and generally the best option, I’ll relay input. Wife is self learning everything from scratch from trial and error. Was your input based on just the first video listed here or all three?

If you check out her other videos on the channel you’ll see a lot of progression from first to most current.

Wife is working on sharing some of our rides. She’s started from scratch with zero training or experience. We just bought a second FJR so she has a “big girl” bike for longer rides than her naked bike affords comfort.

Here’s her latest upload and unless you manually choose higher resolution it likely may not display the best quality level as seen prior to upload.

Anyone care to share comments about content and suggestions to improve uploaded video quality?

https://youtube.com/@_ridewithme_

So what kind of camera is being used? I kept looking for a selfie-stick!

We were using an Insta360 X2 and Insta360 X3.

H
1676139839882.jpeg

We currently use Insta360 X2 and X3. This pic and her next upload are from our first trip to Tail of the Dragon.

So a YouTube issue we have run into and it seems to be somewhat or partially fixable.

Uploaded video has a reduced quality compared to what was produced prior to upload. This is due to YouTube re-encoding and further compressing the video. The results can be seen plainly or at least to some degree in my wife’s videos uploaded prior to about two weeks ago.

The issue is small channels and video produced under 2K an inferior encoding by YouTube.

If you have a fast internet connection sometimes manually choosing the highest resolution available helps but not 100% and this requires the viewer to take manual action. Not a great solution.

You should notice the last few videos we uploaded should appear more detailed and clearer. We stated exporting the raw video at at least 2K and them did final production in 2K. This is detected by YouTube and they apply and higher performance encoding to the video. Obviously if you record and produce in resolutions above 2K resolutions you’ll also get the better encoding.

Anyone else experience or can confirm this behavior?

What editing program do you use? I use DaVinci Resolve which gives several choices of resolution at every step of the process.
Wife is using Insta360 studio and Power Director. Both allow changing export/production resolution changes.

Since wife is self learning everything with no prior experience, she was often over whelmed by many applications initially. And sometimes still is even with what she has.

We were also unaware of YouTube re-encoding with different encodings. One being clearly superior, especially for detailed and fast moving content.

I did notice that myself and I don't record at highest resolution because I want to get most of a long trip and have only so many memory cards but when I kept the frame rate up it made a big difference to the final result on Youtube.

Looks pretty clear. Are you using higher than 30fps? 60fps maybe? Our cameras max out at 30fps in 360 mode. We tried producing at 60fps which helped a little but her original export may have been at a much lower bitrate than originally recorded. We found the produce in 2K or higher scenario helped more consistently so have not retried the 60fps trick. There is also the whole end file size balance as well. For us even a 1 GB file is a large upload.