Sharing rides and YouTube challenges

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had pretty good luck with music with only a few artists that I can't use but I'll never have the views to monetize my channel, it's mostly for my buddies anyway. Are you planning to get thousands of subscribers and make money off it?
I should let the wife answer.

Not going to lie that making some money would be great.

For me if she made enough for gas money for our trips or even some nights at hotels or something. That would be awesome. So yes growing to a level to be monitized is in her sites.

We simply enjoy riding, and it’s fun supporting my wife and helping figure things out and growing over all. Her channel description is truthful and accurate.

Wife is playing with some new elements and transitions.

Unusual for us but longer version of the “shorts” shenanigans.

I had a heck of a time getting YT to approve a video I created from (lots of) footage shot in the aftermath of the Murrah Building bombing in OKC as we worked on a new office for our (surviving) employees to go when they were ready to return to work. Seems that the music selected created the issue but it finally got resolved so it wasn't a silent movie.

I had a heck of a time getting YT to approve a video I created from (lots of) footage shot in the aftermath of the Murrah Building bombing in OKC as we worked on a new office for our (surviving) employees to go when they were ready to return to work. Seems that the music selected created the issue but it finally got resolved so it wasn't a silent movie.

Yes they are merciless when tracking copyright. I think it’s often taken too far and have read where others had the monetization of their videos taken over by record companies and the likes.

Last edited:

For me if she made enough for gas money for our trips or even some nights at hotels or something. That would be awesome. So yes growing to a level to be monitized is in her sites.

We simply enjoy riding, and it’s fun supporting my wife and helping figure things out and growing over all. Her channel description is truthful and accurate.

The cameras were originally purchased for safety as my husband and son were involved in an accident on the bikes where the driver kept driving. Fortunately, they were ok with fairly minimal damage. But I was like well we have it so why not get creative with it. I've always had a knack for just about anything creative, It's just something I enjoy very much. Like my husband said we enjoy riding. I've enjoyed sharing my journey overcoming many fears and accomplishments. To answer your question, the end goal is to "Yes" get monetized, however, If I can encourage one person to step out and do something different and conquer a fear then it's all worth it to me. Cause I can tell you 2 years ago I would have told you that you were absolutely nuts if you said I'd be riding motorcycles and lovin' it.

I will throw in my two cents. When I first started using an action camera in 2016 I found the one I bought had no stabilization which made for shaky videos. I still wanted to add a map to show where the ride was so others could find the same location:

Once I got a GoPro Hero 7 Black I found using software you can extract the GPS coordinates on to the video:

I have used this for my drone videos, and motorcycle videos in several countries:

I set my camera to use 2.7K resolution with 60 fps.

Wife just tried her first go at a “chill” ride.

Direct link:
130+ mile chill ride

We noticed that despite efforts to improve viewing quality by uploading content that should get the better encoding, VP9. There are times when the content is not presented with the improved encoding nor is the highest resolution available.

The theory is not all clients are capable of viewing content with VP9 encoding and is instead presented the AC1 encoded content instead. We have seen this on iPhones and some TV, granted not new TVs.

Anyone else notice the the max resolution caps at 1080 on some devices?

We may have also noticed “ shorts” May not always encode in VP9 but the jury is still out.

Last edited:
Embedded version of the wife’s first attempt at “chill” ride content. While not exactly what was suggested for this type of content. She put her own spin on it and tried done new transitions.

This was a 130 mile ride in late FEB through Virginia and West Virginia.

I will throw in my two cents. When I first started using an action camera in 2016 I found the one I bought had no stabilization which made for shaky videos. I still wanted to add a map to show where the ride was so others could find the same location:

Once I got a GoPro Hero 7 Black I found using software you can extract the GPS coordinates on to the video:

I have used this for my drone videos, and motorcycle videos in several countries:

I set my camera to use 2.7K resolution with 60 fps.

Those are nice.

We attempted to use GPS data on this video. Not our normal riding style at all. Really!

Playing in NC including my oldest son

But there was terrible statistics lag, 7 seconds or more and no way to synch the GPS data with the video. At least in our current software. So instead of trying to capture this data by linking the camera and phone we are going to try the “Insta360 GPS remote”. It’s has a couple neat features and a quick tested seemed to show better results and lag time not exceeding 2 secs. Maybe this will be less or we find other software to allow near perfect synching.

Also might not include speed in cases where that info is incriminating. ;-)

What software are you using for the map and other stats to display in video?

Last edited:
Those are nice.

We attempted to use GPS data on this video. Not our normal riding style at all. Really!

Playing in NC including my oldest son

But there was terrible statistics lag, 7 seconds or more and no way to synch the GPS data with the video. At least in our current software. So instead of trying to capture this data by linking the camera and phone we are going to try the “Insta360 GPS remote”. It’s has a couple neat features and a quick tested seemed to show better results and lag time not exceeding 2 secs. Maybe this will be less or we find other software to allow near perfect synching.

Also might not include speed in cases where that info is incriminating. ;-)

What software are you using for the map and other stats to display in video?
I use Telemetry Overlay on both my drone and GoPro videos: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/
You can try uploading here to see if the file is recognized, and telemetry can be extracted: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/

Where did you get your monopole for your GoPro? I recently got a second camera and was considering adding a mount like you have.

Back to the original tail of the dragon related series.

Wifey looks to have stepped up the transitioning game on this one.

Episode 4 - direct link

This on is a little longer than usual but it’s a 40+ mile ride

Thoughts on the information elements and view angles?

I like the video editing and the way your wife added the maps. I think the 360 camera may have some visual aspects my GoPro's do not.

Embedded link to episode 5

Wife subscribed to one of the music services and is got a much broader choice to experiment with.

As people are sharing rides, I thought I'd share this rush hour commute in Paris, not on my FJR unfortunately as I needed the space to squeeze through the traffic as you will see. I imagine those of a nervous disposition will prefer not to watch it ;):).

As people are sharing rides, I thought I'd share this rush hour commute in Paris, not on my FJR unfortunately as I needed the space to squeeze through the traffic as you will see. I imagine those of a nervous disposition will prefer not to watch it ;):).

Too much traffic for our preference. Good job on navigation and narration though.

If you’re state side you’re welcome to come “RideWithMe”. ;-)

That’s actually my wife’s channel but you see what I did and I can’t resist silliness sometimes.

Wife rode my FJ for the first time.

May have to check the export it might not have gone up in 1440 but what do you think?

I rode my husbands motorcycle - and killed it!

Last edited: