Sherman Pass: A Great Ride!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorcycle Mayor

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
sherman-pass-route-map.jpg
I recently completed a multi-day motorcycle trip from the Bay Area in California to Sherman Pass through the southern Sierra Nevada mountains. It was a total blast! Highly recommended.

You can read more about the route I took and what I saw at https://pursuit.olbert.com/2022/10/sherman-pass-trip/. Enjoy!

Nice report, I've ridden Sherman pass mutiple times, last year in early November moving west to east in the dark! That road seems twice as desolate at night but I was treated to a real nice moon rise on the eastern side while descending to hwy 395.
You lucked out with the fresh dusting of snow on the peaks from the September rain, never even saw any of that on my first ride over the pass due to being in the clouds and white out conditions.

The west side of the pass from the Kern River up still bears the scars of being nuked in the “McNally Fire” from 2002.
I haven’t ridden it yet on the FJR, but I remember it took seemingly forever on the FXDX to get from Sherman Pass to Hiway 395……
Thanks for the write-up!
Biknflyfisher

Nice report, I've ridden Sherman pass mutiple times, last year in early November moving west to east in the dark! That road seems twice as desolate at night but I was treated to a real nice moon rise on the eastern side while descending to hwy 395.
You lucked out with the fresh dusting of snow on the peaks from the September rain, never even saw any of that on my first ride over the pass due to being in the clouds and white out conditions.
You are a steely-eyed missile man! I would’ve been scared to death to do that route in the dark, moon or no moon.

You are a steely-eyed missile man! I would’ve been scared to death to do that route in the dark, moon or no moon.
Well in all honestly I was feeling a bit nervous thinking "I'm out here all alone" , then I looked at the clock and realized it was only 7 pm. I got over it and enjoyed the ride, my Clearwater Darla's helped too. :LOL: