She's Gone: musings of a former FJR owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
Last year, I said "good bye" in this post: CLICKY.  But today I hit another milestone: well sort of. I've known this day would come for quite awhile. Quite simply, it was time. She's been sitting alone, unloved and unwanted, for 15 months now. So just who is "she," you might ask?  My FJR of course: it would have to be as this is indeed an FJR forum. But how could this happen? How could something that I loved so much be vanquished to the back side of a dark shed for so long? The answer to that question would require a bit of explanation, so grab a cup of coffee and relax: I'll tell you the story. 

I joined this forum and bought my used FJR in the summer of 2010. It was a sad time, but a magical time. I said good bye to my father and my best pal in January. Mom and I lived here at the house as she was getting up in age and needed someone around full time to look after both her and the house. I'd lost my desire to ride after owning a '91 GSX 1100 G Suzuki naked bike for 9 years. I'd sold it thinking I was done riding, but then I SAW an FJR. I didn't recall having noticed them before. I was smitten with it's lines and it's reputation. That's when I joined this forum so I could learn a bit about them. 

Little did I know just how much I'd learn: this forum provided all the info anybody could ever want. I was feeling kinda sad after losing dad, and felt like I needed some adventure in my life. So I took the plunge and bought a 5 year old FJR w/3900 on the clock for 6500 bucks. Great deal on a great bike. Not long after I joined up with the darksiders on this forum. 2 rear tires and 11 years later, my FJR has 54,000 happy miles on the clock, and we've shared a lot of memories together. Chief among them was my journey from Florida to California and all the friends I met along the way. My thanks to Hot Rod Zilla and Brett Gross for making my trip a little more fun and enjoyable. That trip culminated with my first (and last) IBA ride: a 50cc where I made my way from San Diego Cal. to Jacksonville Beach, Fla. in 48 1/2 hours. I nearly got myself killed in the process, but was glad to have accomplished that goal in my life and was able to join the IBA because I successfully completed that ride.

I wrote of my experience through most of July that year and finally completed the story in some 20,000 words along with a slew of pictures detailing that amazing ride. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that thread may have been the longest ride report ever posted on this forum. Maybe not the best, and that's OK, but it was certainly long. So indeed there were a lot of great memories. Sad to say that the most memorable part of that trip was just how much pain I had to endure the last 400 miles or so. For me, making 2300 hundred miles in just 48 hours brought new meaning to the term "saddle sore." FWIW,  that report with most of the pictures still intact can be found here: CLICKY

Fast forward to April of last year. I trailered the bike from my home near Tampa up to Atlanta where my daughter and I rode her Triumph and my FJR to Robbinsville, North Carolina, just a few miles south of the Tail of the Dragon. On the way there, once again my back and my neck were bothering me due to the FJR's riding position. I'd put a Sargent seat on it, and a set of handlebar risers, and though they helped, they just weren't enough to render the FJR comfortable for me on long trips. That particular trip was the beginning of the end, as they say.

I will continue this thread soon enough, need to get off to bed for now.

Sorry to hear, but if you can't enjoy it, no point keeping it.

I strongly suspect mine will be going next year, not because of its comfort levels, more to do with my riding ability. 

It's a shame, but that's life. 

Garyahouse,

For the back and neck pain, I would suggest making the conversion from the stock handlebars to the standard 7/8" (22mm) tubular handlebars.  ABM has a nice billet adapter, but you can spend much more or much less.  Most bike shops have a slew of handlebars of all shapes and sizes, and will let you take one (at a time) outside to quick-check what each choice may do for you.  The tubular handlebars can also reduce or eliminate vibrations which can cause numbness in the hands or wrists.  You may need to re-route or extend control lines, but that can be true with any handlebar risers/lifter plates.  No need to tolerate the discomfort, or even to quit riding.  Still, I can understand if the responsibilities of life are getting in the way there.  If you stop riding, that may be the right call for you at this time.

So we stayed at the Two Wheel Inn... in Robbinsville. While I was stretching my legs a bit after that 3 hour journey, a fella came riding in on a Gold Wing. He and I got talking and he was showing me "around" his bike and talking about how comfortable it was. I couldn't help thinking that I might be interested in a GW if it wasn't such a BOAT. Then he got talking about the newest generation of Gold Wings and that he wanted to check one out. I'd been reading about them just a bit here and there, so we talked for awhile. Leaving for home after enjoying a couple days riding the Tail of the Dragon w/ my daughter, I was once again enjoying a sore back and stiff neck. I thought back about our conversation concerning the new Wings, and decided on that trip that I'd stop in a Honda dealership one day soon. Turns out that trip from Robbinsville back to Atlanta was indeed the beginning of the end. That's when I made up my mind that the FJR had to go. I month later just as Covid was tightening its grip on the country, Honda made me a deal I couldn't refuse. Mid May last year, I pulled the trigger and bought a brand new 2018 Gold Wing DCT tour.

From that day till last week, the FJR sat in the shed. Covered with cobwebs and dust, I was worried that it wouldn't start. I drained out the gas, stuck it in the lawnmower, and put in some fresh go juice. Ha: after 15 months of sitting, one quick push of the starter button and she fired up like it was no big deal. Gotta love the old FJR. 52k miles and still runs like a scalded cat. A friend decided he wanted to buy it. He'd ridden it several times over the past 10 years, and always liked it. I priced it at 3500 with the Givi, and he took it home a couple days ago. So now she's gone. But in her place is a bike with some things I could only wish the FJR had. I love the 4 speaker stereo. I love the cruise, but then I know that newer FJR's have this as well: however my 05 did not. Nice to have 2 antilock brakes working properly: the rear ABS failed on my FJR years ago. The ride is certainly more plush than my FJR, but I'm happy to say that the handling is surprising. It's rock solid in bumpy curves: nothing seems to upset the chassis... at least at the moderate speeds I serve up. Then there's the DCT trannie: WOW is all I can say. Also really appreciate the forward and reverse (walking speed) function. No more struggle to muscle the FJR around. Also appreciate the extra wind protection: no more buffeting for me. And finally, no more engine heat baking my cakes all summer.

Happy that a good friend bought the FJR: that means that occasionally I'll be able to ride it again as we ride together. And finally, I'd like to add something that really surprised me. I rode the FJR for a mile or so to make sure everything was OK. During that ride, I was amazed at just HOW MUCH different the riding portion felt than my new Gold Wing. I'd forgotten what it felt like. I made the right decision. It wasn't easy, but it needed to get done. Now the FJR has a happy home with someone that will love it and drive it as I once did. And I get to ride my old FJR once in awhile to boot. Life is good.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. I bought a 18 DCT Wing from a forum member here, added a Utopia backrest and all is good.

BTW   Manual shift in sport mode while riding the twisties is a blast once you master the smooth throttle inputs.

Your riding pleasure is paramount. Glad to see your still on two wheels. I wasn't sure at the beginning where this was going.

Congrat's on the new bike.

Dave

I look at it as a tool.  The old tool wasn't cutting the mustard.  There are all kinds of tools out there.  Get a new tool and keep on keeping on.  Good on ya!

Welcome to the club. I bought a 18 DCT Wing from a forum member here, added a Utopia backrest and all is good.

BTW   Manual shift in sport mode while riding the twisties is a blast once you master the smooth throttle inputs.
Ha: same here, Bug. I put the same back rest on and love it as well. Never had one before.

Last week, I bought a new set of Goldstrike 3 way adjustable highway pegs for the Wing, after months of research and indecision. Not cheap (typical for most GoldWing stuff), but from what I've read, worth every dime. They should arrive in 4 days. They say it's easy peasy to install them. Yay me... One thing that I know is that most Gold Wing maintenance is significantly harder than the FJR. For example, it'll take all day or more to change the air filter. Know what I really love about my 830 pound Gold Wing? It's lighter than my FJR by a good margin. We both know something most riders don't. The Wing carries its weight low, real low, by design. Honda spent gazillions to design this new wing to be both lighter in general, and "light on its feet." And did they ever succeed at that goal. I've swung a leg over a number of big bikes... Harley's, the K1600 Beemer, Indians, KTMs, the Honda ST1300, various Yamahas and Suzukis, you name it. None of them feel as light when ya pick em up off the side stand as the new Honda. This is a big deal for me, as muscling the FJR around at driveway speeds, backing it out of the shed, or just doing Uturns on nasty sloped surfaces in and around the Tail of the Dragon... was always a chore. As a matter of fact, I dropped the Yamaha more than once because of it. It is significantly more top heavy than the Honda. Go figure: the FJR weighs 200 pounds less. I know, I know, most of that weight "goes away" once underway, but when I'm "legging" the bike around, the Honda feels like it weighs half as much as it actually does. And I'm not alone here, many have said the same thing. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't own one of the older Wings because of this one thing.

Your riding pleasure is paramount. Glad to see your still on two wheels. I wasn't sure at the beginning where this was going.

Congrat's on the new bike.

Dave
Hey Dave, thanks for weighing in here. You and I have talked a number of times over the years. I am indeed still on two wheels and even after 16 months of ownership, the joy of going out for a ride on the new Wing hasn't diminished. As a matter of fact, I just sold my 2015 SRT392 Challenger because of it. With both the Honda and the Challenger sitting in the driveway waiting for me to take 'em out for a ride, I had a choice to make. Both cost a fortune: 36k for the Chally, and 22k for the Honda. To digress here, a whole bunch of new 2018 Honda's were still available in 2020 during Covid, and Honda had marked them down substantially from their 28k MSRP. I snapped one up in part because of the amazing discount. Back to my original train of thought: but each time I decided to head out for a little ride, or to run an errand of some sort, the Honda got the nod. So there sat the Challenger collecting dust. I just didn't drive it any more. And when I did, because I felt sorry for the poor thing, just sitting around unused, I no sooner got out of the driveway that I found myself wishing I'd taken the Honda. Sad: as much as I love driving that car, (485 horsepower will put a smile on ANY face), it was wasting away in the driveway. So I sold it to Vroom -- 2 weeks ago, oddly enough for 700 more than I paid for it 4 years and 11k miles ago. The high cost of cars these days worked out in my favor this time. Yay me...

So with the extra cash in hand, I paid off the Honda and sunk the rest into my investment account. Life is good. Ha, know what I was just thinking? My old FJR still wears it's kickstand pad I bought those many years ago.

I look at it as a tool. The old tool wasn't cutting the mustard. There are all kinds of tools out there. Get a new tool and keep on keeping on. Good on ya!
Hey Pants, appreciate hearing from ya bud. You're right. When I asked the forum here about my failed rear ABS, I learned that they were very expensive to repair, hard to find a working used ABS block, and typical for the 2005 FJR. So I had to deal with not having rear ABS. That cost me a crash a few years back at the EOM get together in Maggie Valley. I finally got the damage from my slow speed "get off" repaired, thanks to some new parts from a forum member. As a matter of fact, my FJR still has two different side cowls on it: one with a reflective decal from Tony's (101stpathfinder) old FJR, and my original (without the decal) on the other side. Ha, new owner didn't care and still rides it that way.

The new tool is indeed cutting the mustard and I'm riding it constantly.

Last edited:
Honda spent gazillions to design this new wing to be both lighter in general, and "light on its feet." And did they ever succeed at that goal.

And yet those same idiots couldn't figure out how to keep the same amount of sidecase capacity, or even increase it.  

I'm glad you are happy Gary.

Luggage space on the 18+ Wings are adequate.  Smaller yes and so is the rest of the bike.  Just got off a one week trip on mine and had enough room for everything plus 24 bottles of water.  Two up might be a problem but I'm solo so it works for me.

Thought I'd check back in on the forum and see what was going on. Didn't realize there were so many responses to this thread that I didn't read. Finally got the highway pegs installed, and took the bike on its first multi-state journey. Stretching its legs allowed me to stretch mine as well... love the highway pegs along with the backrest. The riding position and the plush suspension didn't disappoint. I spent all day everyday in the saddle without most of the discomfort I always felt on the FJR. What a joy to ride. I made the right choice. My buddy who now owns my FJR was struggling about 6 hours into the trip and I offered to let him ride the Honda to rest his tired carcass. He loved it, but I could only enjoy riding the FJR for about 45 minutes: the riding position was getting painful. But it did bring back memories, and that experience made it a little easier to say good bye to the old girl. Back on the Honda, we put maybe 500 miles in... riding roads like the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway. The big Wing kept up just fine with the "faster" bikes I was riding with, happy to say. Most people just do a medium pace: fine w/me.
That said, years ago, the FJR was comfortable enough for me, and I sure did appreciate its bulletproof reliability and general ease of maintenance. But the riding position just wasn't working any more. So glad I can still ride and the Honda makes it a joy.

Glad your happy with the Wing. I just got home from 2 week adventure to SFO in Alabama. 6,643 miles on my 18. Averaged 46 mpg for the whole trip and would have been a bit higher but the last 2 days were 80 mph plus-usually we were 70-75mph. Wings get a bit thirsty at those speeds dropping to 42 but my 08 would be down to 32 at that pace.
The Pirelli P1 run flat was great on it's first voyage and handling is good, not FJR good but not bad for a big girl and better than my 08 wing. More than anything this has to be about the smoothest bike on the planet.

So here I am nearly a year later. Buddy's still enjoying my old FJR, runs like a top w/perhaps 60k miles on the clock. I just returned from a 6k trip onboard the (not so) new Gold Wing and with several 10 hour days behind me, can attest once again that the Honda is a seriously comfortable machine. Reliability has been perfect thus far, as was expected. There's a huge difference in the seating position as compared to my old FJR, and I'm happy to say no more sore back or stiff neck for me. The buffeting I had to deal with on the FJR just doesn't happen onboard the Honda. After taking her from Florida to Wisconsin this summer, I can say that I'm glad that as I approach 70, I can still ride long distances without the kind of discomfort that almost made me give up riding. Picture below taken at the river that runs next to the Tail of the Dragon in eastern Tennessee.

Fantastic color on that too. First time I've actually took note of the lines on that machine also.

Thanks PanMan. I do read the forum regularly, but haven't had much to say in awhile. Just sold my old PC-8 in classifieds, so I'm happy about that. No sense leaving it under the bed collecting spider webs, I'll never use it. I have a Pathfinder power distribution hub on the Honda: isolates all my extras from the CAN-BUS system with electronic "breakers," no more blown fuses.

One of the things that I always liked about the FJR was its "lines" as you put it. That's also what attracted me to the new Honda. Truth is I wouldn't own a Gold Wing had they not downsized and redesigned the whole thing back in 2018. Feels a good deal lighter at parking lot speeds than the FJR did. Honda did a great job placing all the weight LOW LOW LOW on this bike. Very happy with it except for the exorbitant cost of changing the air filter. Shame on Honda for burying the thing under 4 hours of plastic (according to the dealership). But, it's a small price to pay for admission to continued riding as this old body gets older.

Just returned from a 6k trip ending up in Wisconsin earlier this summer. Happy to say that with the highway pegs extended, and the back rest set just right, the Wing is a seriously comfy LD tourer. No wonder they call it the king of the open road. I set the cruise for 70, adjust the windshield just right, kick up the four speaker stereo, and all I gotta do is stay awake as she munches up that slab. Above all, just happy to still be riding.

Last edited: