Shift Code 16 - Resolved

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HJHFJR

Reaction score
Though I would post this for information for other AE owners.

About 6 months ago I started on a trip to ride the 3 sisters in the Hill Country of Texas. About 2 blocks from my house I got a shift code 16 and the bike would not shift. Stopped turned it off and restarted it and all was fine for the rest of the day. The next morning the same thing happen but again after turning it off and restarting, it ran fine the rest of the day. After returning home looked up Shift Code 16 in the FSM and essentially it states to check the wiring between the Shift motor and Clutch motor and the ECU. Looking closely at the wiring and connectors I could find no corrosion in the connectors and the wiring was not compromised or broken. Bike ran fine but more and more frequently I would get a shift code 16 until I could not ride anywhere without getting this code.. The FSM stated if the wiring and connectors where OK then it stated to change the ECU. Not wanting to purchase a brand new high dollar ECU, I had a friend of a friend let me swap out my ECU for his which resulted in no change. Eliminating all causes suggested by the FMS left me with no real solution, so I began to suspect the shift motor. With the bike on the center stand I noticed that the shift motor would not always return to the neutral position after a shift. When it did this the next time I shifted it I would get the Shift Code 16. Even adjusting the shift linkage as per the FMS did not help. The cheapest new shift motor I found was approximately $1300 so I looked and found a used one for a couple of hundred. After changing out the shift motor for the used one, I have not had anymore shift errors. By the way, each year of AE, 06, 07, 08, and 09, have a different part number so I do not think that they are interchangeable between years.

I searched both this forum and the internet for Shift Code 16 problems but found very little information, so hope this might help someone with similar issues should they arise.

How many miles did it have before having problems?

Does this problem seem to effect mostly the '06's? I've also noticed the codes show up once in a while at first, and then get progressively worse, no?

Last edited by a moderator: