Shift shaft end play (axial)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rPGoatBoy

Reaction score
Gents,

Finally found the time to put my '06 FJR back together after a 2nd gear issue, and I've noticed I'm catching air with the shift lever on occasion. I've noticed that there seems to be a considerable amount of end play on the shift shaft going into the transmission (> 0.100") I think when the shaft walks itself to the right, the ratcheting mechanism on the other side of the shaft loses contact with the studs on the shift barrel. I've adjusted the linkage, bled the clutch, and soaked the discs in Rotella T6 overnight.

My question is do I have a unique situation with my bike or are any of you experiencing the same problem? How much end play do you have on your shift shafts?

I went out to the garage and tugged my shaft a few times for you. I measured less than 1mm (<0.039") of movement. It definitely moves enough and makes noise to be obvious that there is some play.

Bustanut is probably the forum expert on the topic of playing with the ends of shafts, so he might have more to add.

I went out to the garage and tugged my shaft a few times for you. I measured less than 1mm (<0.039") of movement. It definitely moves enough and makes noise to be obvious that there is some play.

Bustanut is probably the forum expert on the topic of playing with the ends of shafts, so he might have more to add.
Uh...thanks? Seriously, thanks for the quick reply. I don't remember any shims coming into play during the shift shaft assembly, and I didn't have any leftover parts at least affiliated with the engine. A simple fix would be to add some sort of a shim between the circlip on the left side of the shaft and seal to keep the shaft from walking to the right, but I may pull the clutch basket and figure out what is going on.

OK update time. I tracked the excessive endplay down to a missing washer by studying the parts diagram. Forgot that I had a hard time removing the e clip from the shift shaft when I pulled it off months ago. I ordered a new washer from Yamaha, and at 0.062" it was far too thick. No way in hell I'd be able to get the e clip back in the groove, but I managed to secure it well enough outside of the groove for it work somewhat. Rode it like that for a day before realizing it was binding because the shift shaft springs weren't overcoming the additional resistance...resulted in difficult shifting. Fortunately I work for an aerospace company and we have shims of the approximate size in stock (0.015" thick). Three of those underneath the e clip and everything works great now.

Anybody else have anything similar happen to them? Could be a machining error shift shaft bore of the engine or an improperly machined shift shaft? I think the shaft is seated properly, as I pried out on the shift lever (gently enough) with a screwdriver where it attaches to the shift shaft.

Anyway, problem solved. If I ever pull the clutch basket again I may hit that side of the shift shaft with a drift and mallet just to see if it moves any.