Shifting Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoodie

Reaction score
This is my first post so I hope I provide the info. you need to help me with my problem. I have a 2007 AWE with the slipper clutch. On occasions when starting the bike my shift light will stay on and the bike will no longer shift. I am unable to shift with the thumb switch or the toe leaver. In order to correct the issue I have to turn the bike off and restart it. I have had a few instances where I have had to turn the bike off a few times for it to clear. I am a little concerned as I am planning a trip to NC and I don't want to be left on the side of the road. Can anyone fill me in on what might be happening and what I can do to repair this issue.

Thanks for any suggestions

Hoodie

Hello Hoodie

Have you found the problem?

I have exatcly the same problem with 2006 fjr1300AE, testred numeras things and found nothing.

Wait for reply

Cheers

motor7, what is your idle rpm set to?  The bike won't shift if the idle speed is too high, because that would become a safety issue. 

Hello Hoodie

Have you found the problem?

I have exatcly the same problem with 2006 fjr1300AE, testred numeras things and found nothing.

Wait for reply

Cheers
The post was almost 6 years ago and the OP hasn't been back here since a week after he posted.  Not likely to get a response from him!

Check idle speed as suggested above.  Hopefully you can figure out what's going on with it.

The post was almost 6 years ago and the OP hasn't been back here since a week after he posted.  Not likely to get a response from him!

Check idle speed as suggested above.  Hopefully you can figure out what's going on with it.
hehe, always worth a try

I will try to regulate the iddle but i think it is ok... 

Already change battery, engine oil and gear dot too and no change.  :S

saw continuity from all the cables from the tps sensor's to the module, and all ok..
Voltagem and resistance from tps are ok..

Im gonna try to open the clutch and measure the discs..

Tks

"I have a 2007 AWE with the slipper clutch" maybe you mean automatic clutch?

perhaps 2007 AE? No slipper clutch OEM unless added

any codes read?

have the manual for the AE?

proper bleed?

Dropped my 09AE from @foot off my shop floor. Hit hard on the right bar & slider. Will not shift. Since it was past a 90 degree drop, I thought maybe the fluid had air so I bled to no avail. My diag. first was 26, elec. short or MCU failure. The MCU seems pretty solid but maybe the jolt was too much for it. I can shift by hand using the shift rod but no help there. An MCU is $1,400 and I am 74, 10 miles from the first intersection(why I bought my first FJ) and as there are no returns on electronics, won't chance buying. I'm at a stall. Also do not want to remove the swing arm to do a clutch bleed, don't think it is the problem.

A salvage MCU is about impossible so I have considered selling by the value of parts, should I decide I will not be able to die on my FJR!

OK, that was confusing. You said you bled the fluid, with no change, then said you don't want to remove the swingarm to do a clutch bleed. You don't have to remove the swingarm to do that, and you said you did that. Thus my confusion. I don't know anything about the auto-clutch electronics, though, so I'm no help there.

I'm not sure a fall on the right side would do anything mechanically to the clutch system, as the hydraulics and servos are all on the left side. Tracing wires sucks, but that sounds like the next step, making sure something didn't get cut or jammed together by the drop.