Shinko's anyone???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapskate2

Reaction score
So I was at the end of day 2 of a 4 day ride in the smokies, just propped the bike up one the center stand and was checking her out when I noticed I had ridden the rear tire down to the cords...literally. I had a brand new tire at the local bike shop waiting for my return, because they could not fit me in before my trip. I was sure that it would make it, but after a day of serious tire scrubbing on those twisties I was proved wrong. Anyway, I found a Honda shop that had a rear tire and who could squeeze me in first thing on the morning of day 3 (no ride time lost), but all they had were some Shinko 009's. Price was OK at $120 so I rode the 30 miles to the shop and had them put it on, just to save the trip. I babied it for the first 50-75 miles and then let loose and I was surprised at how well the tire did. I never felt it give on any of the turns, several of which were peg grabbers. It was smooth as silk at 90 mph on the highway. Don't know how it will do in the rain, but I'm impressed do far. Anyone else running these?

By the way, three of us split the cost on a three bedroom cabin for the 3 nights at off season price, definitely the way to plan a bike outing. Ride some of the best roads out there all day long and come back to a great bed, shower, satellite t.v., grillin' and a hot tub.

I've had numerous sets (009 Ravens) on my hopped up Bandit and they have been great. I do things on that bike that I wouldn't attempt on the FJR. I'm going to try a set on my FJR next as I already have a spare set in stock.

Got a rear raven on a second bike now as a trial. Been running PR2s and loving them, but so far can't tell difference in ride or traction. Time will tell on mileage. If that is good, will buy more of them.

doctorj

Been using them for some time. No complaints.
From my experience on this forum, the people that complain about the Shinko's are the guys that have never tried them.
I've tried them, didn't care for them. After a few long heat cycles (800+ mile days) they seemed to loose a lot of the grip they once had. I installed them in the fall and by the time winter hit, they inspired no confidence. I had to hit the brakes harder than usual in a few rain storms and it felt like the front was about to wash out on me. I've never felt this on another set of tires. I pulled them early with maybe 5000 miles on them, with tread remaining. I wanted to 'get my monies worth' out of them, but after one to many "oh shit" moments commuting with them, I pitched them.

Been using them for some time. No complaints.
From my experience on this forum, the people that complain about the Shinko's are the guys that have never tried them.
I've tried them, didn't care for them. After a few long heat cycles (800+ mile days) they seemed to loose a lot of the grip they once had. I installed them in the fall and by the time winter hit, they inspired no confidence. I had to hit the brakes harder than usual in a few rain storms and it felt like the front was about to wash out on me. I've never felt this on another set of tires. I pulled them early with maybe 5000 miles on them, with tread remaining. I wanted to 'get my monies worth' out of them, but after one to many "oh shit" moments commuting with them, I pitched them.
I've been told by someone smarter than me (OK, I know that includes most of the population :glare: ) that they are a bit harder compound so better for use in warmer months. I have no other experience, but your report may be a part of that.

doctorj

I bought a set to get me home last year from EOM. Switched to PR2's. Now have Dunlaps. If anyone wants a set with 700 miles on them they can have them for the price of shipping.

I had the same deal, riding in the Smokies and shredded the rear Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. The only tire a dealer nearby had was the Shinko. Went back down a couple weeks later and was impressed with it both in the dry and wet. Wet rode in rain on those mountain roads for two days and did not have it move around except for a few twitches on wet tar snakes.

I have been happy with my f009 front so far, especially the $70 price tag. When you go into the local Iron Pony they always talk up the RoadSmarts. They must get the best kickback off those. Most guys call the Shinkos junk but a few guys there will admit they're all they use. Go in the back and the Shinko racks are triple the size of any other and no dust on the tires. They sell a shit load of Shinkos but probably their slimmest profit margin. Lots of 003s, 005s, 006s. The f009 being the hardest sport tire compound but still plenty sticky for an FJR. I'm curious to here some reports on mileage.

When you go into the local Iron Pony they always talk up the RoadSmarts. They must get the best kickback off those.
There may be some truth to that? Dunlop has historically had a very aggresive/favorable pricing strategy for dealers and distributors.

(Not to get too political) The feds are in the process of considering trade tarrifs against the glut of pacific rim (auto/truck) tires -- other brands just can't compete... :eek: :(

Well, I'll never install them again. At first I thought if money is tight and I need new tires, I guess I would install them, but honestly I wouldn't. I woud rather *gasp* go to the darkside before I installed another Stinko on my bike. Sorry I don't agree with the the people who love them, but they were that scary to me.

I've had numerous sets (009 Ravens) on my hopped up Bandit and they have been great. I do things on that bike that I wouldn't attempt on the FJR. I'm going to try a set on my FJR next as I already have a spare set in stock.
I put them on today. Headed to Arkansas in a couple weeks to try them on the FJR.

I ran the set of Ravens twice. They weren't the best tires, but they werent the worst by any means, especially for the low cost. Mine were crazy cheap, easy to mount, balanced well and lasted about 5k miles.

I think if I knew I was going to be riding the miles that would burn up a set of rubber in a week, these would be the tires I mounted.

The second set front wore really scary and got lumpy and cupped around 5k so I replaced the pair (with RoadSmarts, boo..) but before that I was a perfectly acceptable tire.