Shoei RF1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
My Shoei RF1000 finally gave up the ghost. Interior foam began to begin flaking. Yes, know you’re supposed to replace your helmet every 5-8 years. This puppy went about 14 years for me. Great lid. Luckily I have two of them, and the other seems fine. 

I didn’t want someone to pull this helmet out of the trash and use it, so I yanked the lining out, and took a 2 lb ball peen hammer and attempted to crack the outer shell.

Took 6 very hard blows to actually create a visible crack. I was thusly impressed on how much force it took to do this. 

This helmet fit me very well. What other helmet brands fit similar to this model? Will be looking for a somewhat less expensive alternative.

I find that HJC has a similar fit as the Shoei at a much lower cost.  I have had a couple and they have been comfortable and durable.

They have a bunch of different ones ranging from very cheap to not so cheap.  You will have to try.

Just for future reference but before destroying an old helmet in the future ask around at local fire stations and see if they want it for training purposes. I've donated a couple of mine in my area when they "age out" or are just worn out and no longer fit to use. A local ambulance club gets good use out of them for training on how to properly remove a helmet from an injured rider and they also dissect the old helmets to show just how they're made.

I'll second the HJC comment. Decent helmet for not a whole lot of money.

Just for future reference but before destroying an old helmet in the future ask around at local fire stations and see if they want it for training purposes. I've donated a couple of mine in my area when they "age out" or are just worn out and no longer fit to use. A local ambulance club gets good use out of them for training on how to properly remove a helmet from an injured rider and they also dissect the old helmets to show just how they're made.
Road Guardians would also like them for training people how to safely remove helmets from injured riders.

https://roadguardians.org/road-guardians-accident-scene-management/

I’ve had an HJC helmet before, it did fit well. Will take a look at them, thanks.

The Shoei was shedding badly, so would have been unpleasant for a person to put it on. I do have a few other helmets I can donate however.