Short ride to the coast of Maine - Fort Edgecomb

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMaineiac

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This past weekend I took a short ride to Fort Edgecomb a the mouth of the Kennebec River in Edgecomb, Maine. It is a favorite destination of mine when I want a quick, quiet get away. I took the opportunity to play with the Insta360 X3 camera and Movo Mini wireless microphone some more. I rushed the editing process so there are some changes I would make if I were to do it over, and I should have checked for bug guts on the lens before I started walking with the camera at Fort Edgecomb State Park, but I think the video came out OK just the same. Hope you like it too.

I have never been there although I have taken the #1 Maine coastal route many times in the past. I have also been down to Boothbay a couple of times (too touristy for me, especially on weekends).

It has been a while since I have taken the coastal highway. VERY slow, especially on weekends. Heavy traffic, reduced speed limits through MANY small towns etc. Not something to consider if you are on a tight schedule.

Might have a look next time I'm down that way but might access from the I95 at Augusta or Brunswick rather than navigating the #1 the whole way.

That would be a good idea. I know what you mean about Rt. 1 in the summer - painfully slow. There are a number of ways to get there from I-95. I usually take Rt. 27 south from Gardiner. You have to wrestle with a short stretch of Rt. 1 through Wiscasset (I talk about that on the video), but not far. Just after the bridge, you take a right (before the road that you would normally take to Boothbay - and I agree - Boothbay is pretty, but too touristy in the summer).
It is a very small park and unfortunately they have the fort locked up for some reason. It used to be open to walk into, but perhaps it is down for maintenance or something. Still, there are some walking paths down to the water and some picnic tables if you want to bring a lunch or something.

A little over 1/2 hr away is one of my favorite lighthouses at Pemaquid Point - 3115 Bristol Rd, New Harbor, ME 04554. That would be another good stop if you have the time.

A little over 1/2 hr away is one of my favorite lighthouses at Pemaquid Point.
I have been to Pemaquid Point.
Weekday mornings aren't dreadful for Rt.1 in terms of tourists, but you still have to contend with low speed limits and a million little towns.
People imagine that the highway will give them ocean vistas but, in reality, you see lots of picturesque towns with a highway running through and some views of rivers and inlets. For the most part, you have to get off Rt.1 to see anything - especially once you are west of Rockland.
It can be worthwhile to explore some of the many peninsulas on the south coast, if you have a whole day (or two). All the way from Portland to Lubec. I have done some of it, but not lately. Rt.1 just becomes the access point. Definitely a flower-sniffing ride.

I have a friend in Lewiston that I ride with. We generally avoid the coast, and much of the time I just follow him as we roam around central Maine and have no idea where we are, but love riding up there. He used to ride a Honda VFR 1200 and could leave me in the dust if he wanted, but the last time I rode with him had a traded it for a new gen Goldwing. He was a bit miffed that he couldn't keep up with the ole FJR :D