Short Rider Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You and I are the same height. I have a 32" inseam and with the wider seat, I can not flat foot. Do not consider changing links to lower the bike because that will change the handling characteristics some because the geometry changes slightly.

Different people have different reasons. Don't judge

In my case, even though I don't need to flat foot, I want to be extra stable when my wife is on the back because of she ever gets hurt getting off she may never get back on; so I'm taking zero chances.

So I'm 5'6" with a 30 in inseam. My belly is getting bigger which pushes me up the seat a bit too.

Like most short riders, flat footing a bike has never been an issue.

All I have to do is hop on the GoldWing to remind me of how light and nimble the FJR really is !

The only time leg length was in issue was when I stopped on a banked turn or at a stop light with an oversized pot hole!

Plan your stops.... Eyes up and practice, practice, practise your slow speed manouver's and braking every ride.

Just don't do it at morning coffee with the the gang or you will be the butt of some good jokes.....

Last piece of advice. When your stop for the night, put a quarter on your ignition key slot to remind you in the morning about the disk lock.

If anything you will make a homeless person happy.

I am not one of those "flat foot on both sides" dorks.
Flat-foot dork here, just born mutated I guess. In order to make stopping on the FJR challenging with my freakishly-long legs, I wear roller skates when I ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not one of those "flat foot on both sides" dorks.
Flat-foot dork here, just born mutated I guess. In order to make stopping on the FJR challenging with my freakishly-long legs, I wear roller skates when I ride.
I was not talking about those with the ability to flat-foot. I was speaking of those with some security blanket need to flatfoot, who will mod the bike just for that purpose. There is a HUGE difference. Sometimes... :)

I'm both inseam and hip challenged. I need the seat in high and added peg lowerers so I can unscrunch the hips a bit but having 29" inseam makes it difficult to flatfoot on both sides. I learned long ago, I'm not typically a 2 foot down guy- the right stays up and if I shift my butt a little to the left I feel more stable not by flatfooting but by getting my foot a little farther out. If I slide all the way forward and compress the seat with my thighs I can flatfoot on both sides but there's no point in it, my feet are right up next to the bike- no stability that way.

But to each his own. I say if you want to lower your bike, go for it! There's more than one way to skin a sausage. The hell with "them", do what you need to do. It's not like you can't ever put it back if you don't like it and try something else.

Sort of related. I don't generally have problems with leg length, they're just long enough to plant both feet. But not having a firm place to put one's foot down can engender some excitement. Like that amazingly round pebble that becomes like a ball bearing. Even a plain old leaf can be slippery. Then the other day, what do I spy right where I am planning to put my left foot as I am about to lean the bike onto the side stand? An honest-to-god banana peel.
uhoh.gif
I was tempted to look around for Mack Sennett's camera crew.
jester.gif

Like Russ, I am a 1-foot-down guy. Right foot normally, but left foot down and right foot on the brake if I need hands at the stoplight. Occasionally, I'll do both feet down, but that means tiptoes or balls of my feet if in a rut.

Besides, one foot down makes me look like a badass sportbiker.

FJRay posted: Seems like this has gone from function to fashion.
banghead.gif
Hello, Ray! It's the 21st Century! Only things that count are your Twitter feed and Instagram photos! (<--- Not sure what that means, exactly, but the young folks around here say it all the time.)

I m about 5-7.Overall, bike fits me like a glove.

But I wont lie, it is intimidating at low speeds.

Parking and especially u-turns demand your

full attention.

As with any heavy, full-size bike, one slip and

youre going down.

The trick is to plan your low-speed maneuvers

carefully and execute them deliberately.
Very well said! 100% attention required.

Practice your slow speed maneuvers a lot too. You can get the FJR to do the ERC "S turns" inside the BRC box without putting down a foot.

One thing improving the seat height factor is that when my 115-lb wife is sitting pillion it lowers the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vertically challenged 30" inseamer here on a Gen1 with a Corbin seat. Can put both feet down on the balls only, unless i have a passenger then i can flat foot. I can comfortable flat foot either foot one at a time with the bike very near upright and it feels fine, well balanced.

During the buying process i sat on a other gen1 with the stock seat, in the lower position and felt better. I found the Corbin is wider at the tank. The stocker was narrower and more comfortable when sitting stopped. Can't speak for on road comfort as that bike was sold so only have riding experience with the Corbin. Despite all that, no issues with my deminutive stature...

Well, I don't know that at this point I can add much that hasn't been said. 5'7" (ish), 29.5" inseam. I'm balls of the feet on almost everything, so none of that's a surprise. I'm always looking where I'm going to stop &/or park. But to be FJR-specific, the bike is unbelievably stable as soon as it's rolling. Like another contributor said, my feet are practically on the pegs before the clutch is all the way out. If you (the OP) have saddle time on other bikes, this one will be second nature in very short order.