Should I do the Ivan re-flash or go in for the second recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oublaj

Reaction score
I have a 2016ES that I bought brand new. Health issues have kept me from riding much. I have 2k miles on it. I had the tranny recall done almost immediately. Now I’m sitting with the additional ECU recall. I’m just thinking of sending Ivan the EXU and have him flash it. What are your thoughts?

The second ECU flash undoes what was changed in the first ECU flash that was part of the transmission recall procedure. You will end up with the ‘stock’ Yamaha ECU programming.
The Ivan flash offers a host of other (non stock) changes that may or may not appeal to you.
Dont bother with the second re-flash if you intend to purchase the Ivan flash.
-Steve

As with everything, lots of opinions on Ivan's flash. Personally, I love the way my flashed '15 runs and behaves. The linear third mode is my favorite throttle as it splits the lethargic "Tour" and two-stroke-esque "Sport" mode. Since you don't have a lot of miles on your '16, I'd say let Yamaha reflash it again and then decide if stock mapping works for you.

Good luck!

~G

First, the second recall does NOT "undo everything". It raises the rpm in 1st and 2nd with a slipped clutch to 6k from the flashed 3k. Originally it was redline, 9.5k.

Second, if you use engine braking instead of brakes when riding, do NOT get Ivan's flash. It ruined riding my '07 for me. Worst. Modification. Ever. Given what I know now I never would have paid for it.

I agree with the above- get the second flash and see if you like it before throwing money at Ivan.

I got Ivan's flash on my '13 just so I could use cruise control above 82, and it was worth it for that. Other than that, I can't actually tell a lot of difference. I ride in S mode all the time anyway, so the third (Ivan's) mode didn't do anything for me. For me, just requires more throttle than I'm used to, but I didn't have the flash done until 82,000 miles, so I was well accustomed to S mode by then.

If it were my '16, I'd get the recall done then decide.

rbentnail have you not contacted Ivan to have him make a change to allow that option for you? He was very accommodating for me on my 14ES.

I did 2nd gear recall hated the 1st reflash So I called Ivan he was very patient with me and spent a long time answering my questions and expanding what options he offers . I went a head with the reflash turn around was about 1 week and was very satisfied with the resulting performance of the bike but that’s me.I had this done b4 the 2nd reflash came out so I can’t comment on that. For my riding style I prefer the 3 riding mode and am very happy with the throttle response coming off Idle and after throttle being closed while riding no more lurching just smooth response