Should I purchase aftermarket fork springs...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'all should hold off another week until you see the prices GP Suspension is putting together for our annual Fall Group Buy..... which will happen a little early this year. The tentative schedule is Sept 14-28th.... will know for sure in another day or two.

You'all should hold off another week until you see the prices GP Suspension is putting together for our annual Fall Group Buy.....
Do they sell rear springs for the OEM shock?
Doubtful.... the OEM shock actually has two springs in it, IIRC, and regardless, is not meant to be overhauled/refurbished. Though I suppose one could force the issue if necessary, but... IMO, the stock shock is fairly lame-o as it is; I personally wouldn't sink any $$$ into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent an hour or so with my mechanic this past Saturday trying to see IF we could get the sag anywhere close, as it turns out I'm way to heavy for the stock springs, He's recommending RaceTech springs and gold valves for the front and apparently they also make a rear spring. However I'm not sure i want to waste money on the rear as it may be easier to just buy penske rear shock....

Decisions decisions :)

However I'm not sure i want to waste money on the rear as it may be easier to just buy penske rear shock....
Decisions decisions :)
No decision.....an aftermarket spring can be purchased with a wider variety of adjustments: pre-load (I have the remote adjuster), compression and rebound. Something changing the spring on the OEM would not achieve.

Since I have an aftermarket shock and it is finally sprung for my weight, I suggest you not compromise on this improvement. It will convert your FJR into a new machine. IMO...it's worth the upgrade.

Good point, if I'm going to spring for the dough may as well get the best...

Now just need to research and see if I want to drop a grand on the custom set RaceTech shock for the FJR or get the Penske :)

Here's some goodies you'll see offered on the GP Suspension Group Buy that starts on Monday, Sept 14:

Awesome Ohlins hardware:

46PRCShorco.JPG

The Penske #8983 will be well over $100 off retail:

Penske8983.jpg

Custom-fabricated Rebound/Compression kits for our 48mm Soqi forks:

GP-FJR1300b.JPG

This year, GP Suspension is offering their CUSTOM design fork springs for the FJR1300, vice the Eibach springs from previous Group Buys. I am gathering more info about it now....

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI:

Due simply to lack of free time, the GPSuspension.com Group Buy is delayed and will start on this Friday (18 SEP 09), and run two weeks from that date.

Call these folks. Get the "kit" that does both front and rear.HyperPro at EPM
I have these arriving Monday, I plan on installing them on Tuesday and will report how they worked out in the following days. I've heard good things about them, especially the fronts. The back, I'm told, is a good step up, but not aftermarket....I can't complain for $280 delivered.

Yesterday, Fairlaner and I replaced the front fork springs on his 09 and my 04. I have +48K and it was probably OEM oil.... It poured out like water. Over the years I had simply settled into the suspension, along with HaulinAshe settings so I was never really dialed into what I 'should' be feeling. Speaking for myself, there is a noticeable improvement in the contact and firmess of the whole and no more diving front end. I few tweaks on the settings recommended by Traxxion and all will be like new. FYI, it's a straightforward DIY. The 1st bike took about 3 hours with the 2 of us and the 2nd took about 1 1/2 hours. By yourself you might be looking at up to 4 hours. I can see that 4 hands really made it easier.

This week, I installed Hyperpro fork springs and I am very pleased. I have ridden about 200 miles so far. It goes over bumps much smoother and feels better in corners. The old springs had a 2" resting sag with the preload at zero and the new came out to 1 1/4" with 3 rings, just like the specifications said it would. The old springs were shot and I can't believe how short they are.

A fork seal was leaking , so I did a complete rebuild. The bottom bushings had about 1/2 the teflon worn off, so I replaced them. I used a 2" OD tail pipe with .050 thickness to drive the two top bushings home, 2" pvc pipe to drive the seal in, and a 2" pvc coupler to drive the dust seal in. About $10 for the new special tools!!!

Removing the oil seal is interesting and unlike any fork I have serviced. I tried one method by filling the fork completely with oil, placing the fork under a sturdy shelf, with a big socket on top of the fork not to damage the adjusters and a floor jack underneath(don't have a press). It pushed the seal up just enough to pry the seal out. I think just putting the fork tube in a bench vice and slide hammering the seal and two top bushings, with the inner fork tube, is just as easy. However, you need the tailpipe to drive the two top bushings back in on reassemble.

Anyway, a good and inexpensive upgrade. Springs were $169 with a liter of 15w oil. Wish I had done this sooner.

Where is the posting for GP Suspension Group Buy? I am looking to do my forks.

Call these folks. Get the "kit" that does both front and rear.HyperPro at EPM
I have these arriving Monday, I plan on installing them on Tuesday and will report how they worked out in the following days. I've heard good things about them, especially the fronts. The back, I'm told, is a good step up, but not aftermarket....I can't complain for $280 delivered.
Ok, Hyperpro spring kit arrived, installed, and have about 200 miles on the bike.

Preliminary impressions: The front is AMAZING. The back is much better, stiffer, still no adjustment but the compression is much improved. It took a little bit to get them set up, but I'm very happy thus far. The bike corners much better, the brake dive is pretty much gone. One of the best things is that the pillion doesnt cause the back to 'settle' and change the geometry.

I would recommend this option to anyone that can't afford to drop a grand on aftermarket suspension.

I ordered the Hyperpro spring set for a total cost of 259 (Including the new fork oil :) ) going to do the install in 2 weeks and see how it goes.

If it doesn't make a difference then worst case I'm only out 259 bucks :)