Side Stand Plate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking to purchase a side stand plate for my 2016. To have more of a footprint. I have found some related post's; however, they go back quite a few years. Appreciate any pointing in the right direction.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220830-091846_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220830-091846_Chrome.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 4
I prefer this method. Pretty much free and takes only a minute to install with the correct tool ;)
IMG_20220201_161326.jpg

Looking to purchase a side stand plate for my 2016. To have more of a footprint. I have found some related post's; however, they go back quite a few years. Appreciate any pointing in the right direction.
I've got one I took off a 2014 that I'll sell. Let me take a picture of it and see if it's what you want.

I prefer this method. Pretty much free and takes only a minute to install with the correct tool ;)
View attachment 2468
Doesn't that hit/touch the exhaust when up? My side stand only has about 1/4 clearance between the exhaust and the stand when it's up. That upper side looks wider than that.
I like the idea of a permanent plate though and.i have the right 'tool'. Did you remove the stand to weld it? I've always been told not to weld directly on the bike as it could affect the electronics.

Doesn't that hit/touch the exhaust when up? My side stand only has about 1/4 clearance between the exhaust and the stand when it's up. That upper side looks wider than that.
I like the idea of a permanent plate though and.i have the right 'tool'. Did you remove the stand to weld it? I've always been told not to weld directly on the bike as it could affect the electronics.
Not even close. When I put these on bikes I put the stand up, vicegrip the plate to it and then try to push the stand up into the nearest obstruction - adjust until I like it. Just weld it right on the bike with the ground clamp close to the weld area. The only way you are going to screw up electronics on a bike or car with a welder is if you put them in the grounding path of the weld.
IMG_20220202_082554.jpg

This solution has been carried in the glove box for years. Just a 4 inch electrical box cover with a string and small handle. String allows me to put it in place while on the bike and remove after remounting and ready to go. I've pulled into more than a few state park campsites and been surprised by soft wet ground surface.Kickstand Plate.jpg

Not even close. When I put these on bikes I put the stand up, vicegrip the plate to it and then try to push the stand up into the nearest obstruction - adjust until I like it. Just weld it right on the bike with the ground clamp close to the weld area. The only way you are going to screw up electronics on a bike or car with a welder is if you put them in the grounding path of the weld.
View attachment 2471
I see... Well, for some reason mine only has about 1/4 space between the exhaust pipe and the stand base.

Did mine some years ago. Started with a disc of 14 ga. mild steel, cut to the outline of the stand bottom and situated so that it wouldn't interfere with the exhaust.

1662049892699.jpeg

Then, with the side stand down to make sure the foot was flat on the ground with the bike leaning on it, tacked the foot to the sidestand, keeping the ground as close to the weld area as possible.
1662050200851.jpeg

Then ran beads on the top and bottom with the assembly in my vise.
1662050442152.jpeg

Much improved footprint compared to stock.
1662050543094.jpeg

With plenty of clearance for the exhaust.
1662050636696.jpeg

Liked this modification so much, I did it to my other three bikes as well.

Am I the only one that stomps on a beer can a throw it under the stand?
Thats great someone else with the low cost old school method. Years back, in FL if you didn’t have an HD you ran the risk of your ride falling due to the side stand sinking into the parking lot asphalt. The new blacktop was the worse. Had the side stand sink into asphalt parking lot on our Dragon trip several weeks back. May have been in SC.

I am interested in something more elegant but have to admit I use one of those plastic plucks on softer surfaces.

Am I the only one that stomps on a beer can a throw it under the stand?

No. You are not. :) I had a buddy that carried a flattened 7Up can for years -- same can. We stopped one day on a trip, and he said "Aw man! I left my can at the restaurant at lunch." I said we could find another, and he said "Yeah, but I'd had that can for years." He seemed to have a real sentimental attachment to it. :)

I have a plastic kickstand pad on both bikes. I got the one I've got in the FJR at a Voyager rally in 1999. It looks like it's been through a war, but it still works.

can, flat rock, stick, piece of wood, anything laying around or had on me that could work. :D

Pepsi, beer, wood shim shingle, my several plastic pads, but my latest is the 3" washer that roofers screw down on insulation before rubber roofing.