side stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el camino kid

Reaction score
I see a few of us are having a problem with the the bike rolling forward, off the side stand. What can be done to lessen the chance that will happen? Is just leaving the bike in gear sufficient? How practical is it to tether the stand to the frame slider or some other point? Any thoughts?

Paul

Leave in gear and roll forward until the gears catch. I believe some have slightly grinded the side stand stop so it would extend a bit further forward.

A really ingenious kind of person might design a latch mechanism to hold the side stand deployed while there is weight on it. There might even be a market for such an add on accessory.

So far none of our more ingenious members have felt compelled to do so... :unsure:

Grrrrreetings,

I used a side grinder to remove some of the heel and the stop from my side stand. That was several months ago, and I did it because I read about the problem in this forum. Several weeks ago my bike fell off the stand anyway. I think the angle of the spring should be increased. I am going to remove the spring hook from the back side of the stand and move it to the front side. If I can get a good weld useing the old hook, it will be a simple enough fix (I don't know if this will fix the problem). If I can't get a good weld then I will drill and tap the stand so I can put in a hardened bolt.

Any farkle that would lock the stand in place would be well worth the cost as compared to broken mirror, scratches, ect.

I will post on how the modification goes.

If anyone has tried this already, please let me know how it went.

Grrrrood by,

MAD DOG

The BMW RT-P (Police version) has a locking side stand which allows the bike to be parked on an incline with the engine running. If someone wants to design a different side stand for the FJR, might want to see how the RT-P's side stand works.

Or keep it simple: Leave the bike in gear... nothing can be simpler.

01-613-0130-01.jpg
The supporting surface of the FJRs side stand is seriously under-dimensioned given the the mass of the bike. Even a quick break for coffee can be long enough for the stand to disappear in asphalt that has been softened by the midday sun. The result: expensive damage to the paintwork. Our side stand surface extension increases the supporting surface by almost 300%. It will keep your bike well supported even if the ground isnt too reliable. And almost as an aside, our designer has created a work of art that elegantly emphasises the sportiness of the bike. Milled from a single piece with a stainless steel holder. www.touratech-usa.com

Quick fix/prevention for this, is use the kickstand engine cut off. I never use the key or switch to turn off the bike. When I park it or get where I'm going, I stay in first gear with the clutch in, flip the kickstand down (which turns off the bike), and then release the clutch and lean her on the stand. Snag the key and leave. ALWAYS parked in gear.

When I leave, I stand on the left side and use my right foot to flip up the gearshift to neutral, and twist the key and press the starter. Starts right up in neutral (won't start if I've gone too far and it's in second or third or something), and this prevents me from thinking it's in first cause it WON'T start in gear with the kickstand down.

Alexi

I feel it comes down to this...

[SIZE=36pt]DON"T PARK ON A DOWNSLOPE !!![/SIZE]

Use a little common sense already.

I see a few of us are having a problem with the the bike rolling forward, off the side stand. What can be done to lessen the chance that will happen? Is just leaving the bike in gear sufficient? How practical is it to tether the stand to the frame slider or some other point? Any thoughts?
Paul
If you're pointed nose-first down a shallow hill then keep her in first gear and you'll be fine. If the hill is steep with an angle that approaches the angle between the stand in it's down position and a line straight down from the bike (an angle I just measured at about 12 degrees in the vertical plane local to the bike with my iPhone...gotta love these things) then point yer nose uphill and, again, keep her in gear.

Bottom line, it's always a good idea to keep her in low gear when she's parked on a hill.

Cheers,

W2

I feel it comes down to this...

[SIZE=36pt]DON"T PARK ON A DOWNSLOPE !!![/SIZE]

Use a little common sense already.

Rob's right! The only folks with bikes rolling off the side stands are folks that park the bike in a roll-forward situation + forget to put it in gear. How much thought must this tread consume before the damn thing dies!

Rob's right! The only folks with bikes rolling off the side stands are folks that park the bike in a roll-forward situation + forget to put it in gear.
Oh, people have found much more ingenious methods for rolling off the side stand than that. ;)