Side Visor gets off @120 mph

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wm.P

Reaction score
Out for a Sunday ride with my wife and decided to get on the Interstate to save some time. Since I was trying to save time I decided to let it run up over 100 for a moment.At 120 the Visor/Vent 3P6-2830D-00-P7 tore loose from all 4 mounting/retaining points. It struck my knee and needless to say made for a magical moment. The two 1/4 turn screws are still in place surrounded a piece off the visor. Anyone else experience this? Looks like replacement is around $80.00

Probably nature's way of saying it is not a good idea to ride on a public road at 120 MPH with someone you care about on the pillion.
no.gif

I bought my new to me 2011 with one visor missing, with the 2 retaining screws as you described.

I think I am the 3rd owner and the guy I bought it from probably bought it that way.

Yup $80 and a wait since it was back ordered.

Yup, that exact same thing happened to me years ago. YES replaced the panel. One of the little retaining tabs on the bottom had broken. Dealer and I knew about it, but didn't think it was a big deal. I was on an empty two-lane road when it peeled off, so I retrieved it and took it to my dealer. If I remember right, they replaced both of them. I also lubed the little pins and they are still intact.

Yet another reason why I dislike those adjustable panels.

Never had the pleasure...my previous '06 & '09 both were tested in eastern Nevada to "FJR Nominal" and survived intact. Make sure the two pivots are both snapped in securely and the replacement panel will do just fine!

--G

Probably nature's way of saying it is not a good idea to ride on a public road at 120 MPH with someone you care about on the pillion.
no.gif
128 mph with the misses on back. Canada no less.

Ohoooooooo the shame,

blushing.gif
blushing.gif
blushing.gif
blushing.gif
blushing.gif

Neva happend on a Gen1 or Gen2 Panels intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the reason for the panels flighty escape is that whoever installed them the last time did not get them inserted into the slots fully before attempting to latch the 1/4 turn (dzuz) fasteners at the bottom. That force could crack the tab with the fastener in it, which is really the only thing that keeps the things in place.

The lesson for the rest of us is to be very careful when installing those things. I never move mine.

Apparently mine are on correctly as I have tested to 140 mph. I have never adjusted them, but good to know if I ever change the position. Thanks for passing this on.

BTW: Confident bike, good tires, good suspension set, good road, daylight hours, little traffic, open road, I don't think 120 mph with an experienced pillion is that unusual or unsafe. Of course my wife thinks the posted speed is the minimum not the maximum limit! I think she may have misinterpreted something during her driving test!

It has happened before, one thread about it is posted here.

The suspicion is that maybe the panel wasn't fastened in properly to those clip "hinges", the clips have been bent out, or the plastic piece that the clip holds has broken, possibly due to previous ham-fisted removal of the panel.

(Click on image for larger view)

The vast majority FJRs don't exhibit the problem even at autobahn speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh crap. I thought he as talking about the 3rd Gen moveable pieces, which have had a similar fate reported in the past.

The 2nd Gen pieces are a little different, and I have no first hand experience with them.

Apparently mine are on correctly as I have tested to 140 mph. I have never adjusted them, but good to know if I ever change the position. Thanks for passing this on.
BTW: Confident bike, good tires, good suspension set, good road, daylight hours, little traffic, open road, I don't think 120 mph with an experienced pillion is that unusual or unsafe. Of course my wife thinks the posted speed is the minimum not the maximum limit! I think she may have misinterpreted something during her driving test!

I have a regular pillion that gets upset if I DON'T go over 120 with her on the back. She likes it when we are passing cages 4 at a time.

Never had the pleasure...my previous '06 & '09 both were tested in eastern Nevada to "FJR Nominal" and survived intact. Make sure the two pivots are both snapped in securely and the replacement panel will do just fine!
--G
The devil made --G run it upto FJR nominal.
smile.png

Mine stayed in place at 110 - never been higher than that. It was strangely quiet.

This has now become a dick measurement contest, I was going faster than you when my panel came off, nananana! JSNS

Status
Not open for further replies.