• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Skyway's Aluminum Replacement Slider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyway

Reaction score
After collecting the moko's from madmike2, the original delrin(?) sliders were a little scuffed up. I didn't have any delrin(?) in stock to make a fresh pair, so I substituted with 6061 aluminum. Based on what I have read from owners who say they do not stick out far enough, I decided to increase the length by 3/8. they are a little blingy right now for me, so I will eventually have them anodized titanium in color to match the speigler lines. No bike right now to show them installed, so here is the result from the dining room table:

IMG_0476.jpg

ooohhhh!!!!! aaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

are you going to offer them for those of us who would like to have a pair???

I want!!!!

Schaweet! Don't let Warchild see those. They appear to be the gay-ass polished aluminum and not black annodised... :D

Now I know what I have to look forward to if my Feej ever has to go in for tickectomy. 'Cept mine will be made of reclaimed cypress. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the original delrin(?) sliders were a little scuffed up. I didn't have any delrin(?) in stock to make a fresh pair, so I substituted with 6061 aluminum.
Dude, that is definitely sooweet and beyond blingy, so would likely override any gay-ass innuendo! Hmmm, my left Moko is a tad scuffed also. If you decide to go into production for the rank and file, let us know. I can always use another 3/8th inch, especially if it looks that good! :ph34r:

the rank and file, let us know. I can always use another 3/8th inch...
Yambone!! Ya left the door wide open with that remark!!! Keep your personal life off the board will ya! :D

Sky... those look really good, nice work!! ( now the debate starts on whether metal VS Derlin slides better ) :rolleyes:

Sexual innuendo aside, those look really nice. I will add my name to the list of those that are intersted if you decide to sell those! I wonder if Moko would sell just the mounting gear?

[quote= ( now the debate starts on whether metal VS Derlin slides better ) :rolleyes:

What debate? The aluminum LOOKS awesome, but the Delrin will work better.

And yes......I'd take the aluminum too, just for the looks. ;) Those things sure look purdy!

now the debate starts on whether metal VS Derlin slides better
Highlander, you're not supposed to slide on them; they're there for the looks. We don't want our pretty FJRs sliding around on the dirty old ground, now do we?

Those are beautiful, Sky. I don't think anodizing will make them any prettier. You ought to go into production so I can buy a pair.

-make them out of titanium or even magnesium for some awesome nighttime crashes! :lol:

I'd go for a set of 'thicker' aluminum ones myself.....

Very flash! I received my Matisse polished jobbies today will be fitted next week with my MC Cruise control! Pics will follow!

Hmm, I didn't realise that some of you guys would be interested in aquiring some of these. I will agree with the comments above that delrin will definetly have better impact absorbtion than aluminum, though after looking at the moko bracket, the contact point between bobbin and bracket is where the flex will most likely occur upon impact - delrin or not. I have some software that could proove this out based upon impact forces, but it may be a little over the top for the job at hand. I would think that both will slide down the highway with the weight of the FJR sitting on them, though my bike hopefully will not be the crash test dummy to back up my theroy.

This type of machining work is a million miles away from what I normally do, and also if there is enough interest I may even figure out what it would cost to make a complete set to include brackets, bolts and spacers. The current pricing out there for all motorcycle accessories is pretty steep with a lot of added mark-up IMO. For now I will work out where the best price break is on the bobbins and take it from there.

I'd be interested in the method you use to machine the parts if you have time to explain and show some pics...just out of curiosity (I won't steal you idea, but someone else might)

I'd be interested in the method you use to machine the parts if you have time to explain and show some pics...just out of curiosity (I won't steal you idea, but someone else might)
No secret at all, very simple part to make. They will go in this twin spindle Y-axis live tooling cnc lathe with a bar feeder attachment:

Deawoo Puma TT2000SY - clickity click where we will proceed to 'knock the sh** out of them'.(fancy industry term that) :D

No secret at all, very simple part to make. They will go in this twin spindle Y-axis live tooling cnc lathe with a bar feeder attachment:

Deawoo Puma TT2000SY - clickity click where we will proceed to 'knock the sh** out of them'.(fancy industry term that) :D
Oh...just one of those? I think I might have one in the shed that I forgot about...oops...nope...that's my tackle box. ;)

I like the look. Very sweet. Ya know most metal finishing places with anodizing capability can also add dye to the anodize. I've seen aluminum anodized a blue shade that would compliment the 05 FJR quite nicely without being too ghey. If you get enough interest you may want to offer some colored finish choices. The anodize will provide much better corrosion resistance than bare alumium too. You could even have personalized engraving done after the anodize.

I agree about the impact too. First 'contact' on a side impact would be between the bracket and FJR frame. The two are close together and bracket is thin in that direction. It doesn't/can't offer much resistance to bending in that plane. The purpose of the bobbin is to sacrifice itself sliding as well as provide an impact point beyond the bodywork envelope. I can't say if the aluminum would be better than plastic in an extended slide down the road. Probably wouldn't matter much if it was much of a slide anyway.

I'll be curious what pricing develops for a 'production' run of the slick aluminum 3/8+ bobbins. Good job!

FJReady

Status
Not open for further replies.