• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Skyway's Aluminum Replacement Slider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm... Does anyone else see an additional accessory to this part? Clip-on highway pegs... Or, would that put them too high up for comfort?

I dropped my bike in the garage at 0 MPH (R&G sliders). Busted the mirror but nothing else. When I finally took the "bobbin" off, I found that the spacer had been driven inside the bobbin - I "assume" that is a design feature and lets the bobbin absorb the shock vice the engine/engine mount. While these are great looking sliders, would that ability to absorb a 0 mph drop be sacrificed? Probably not much difference when sliding down the road at speed where the vector isn't directly perpendicular to the bolt/bobbin. Whaddya think? :hmmm:

I agree wi the earlier posts, the bracket should be able to absorb the initial shock without passing it to the frame. Idealy, tt should flex or even bend but not crack. The bobbin would be sacrificed to sliding friction.

Something like this?

sliderbobbiniso.jpg

sliderbobbin.jpg

This one will be a good match for those who decided on a more colorful speigler line order. :lol:

sliderbobbinpink.jpg

I'm starting to sport wood here!  :eek:mg:   :dribble:   :good:
Figure out a way to add highway peg clip-ons? :unsure:
I guess you could do something like this? By using the hole pattern as shown would also offset the position of the peg lower for better ergo's. I'm not really a highway peg kinda guy.

4050-metric.jpg

sliderbobbintappedholeconfig.jpg

Skyway ....... you are really building us up here. If you think it is possible to do a run of these then "You Are The Man". But if not, then don't keep dangling the lil blonde 19 year ..................... oh wait, sorry, that was a whole different fantasy. Sorry.

Right now I cannot determine what kind of bracket will work to add footpegs as the damn shop still has my bike for the foreseable future. Getting something to mount to front of the slider will be a breeze to determine, maybe even make it a quick disconnect type of attachment.

When I finally took the "bobbin" off, I found that the spacer had been driven inside the bobbin - I "assume" that is a design feature and lets the bobbin absorb the shock vice the engine/engine mount.
I have not fitted them yet, but IIRC the supplied spacers mount in front of the brackets at the engine and not behind them. So I'm not sure how a spacer could get pressed into a bobbin. Don't the bobbins just mount directly to the center of the brackets or am I mis-understanding? I am a moko newbie don't forget. :D

I would think the slider would be up a little too high for mounting highway pegs, wouldn't it?

Mike

I would think the slider would be up a little too high for mounting highway pegs, wouldn't it?

Mike
Thats kinda what I've been thinking. The brakets that are curently available that mount to the engine casings are probably the way to go. The only weakness that I see with this design is engine case damage as a result of a crash.

Now way back when, ok in the begining of June, I met a guy who rides an FJR. He has his footpegs mounted to the ends of the R&G sliders, which offers the best of both worlds IMO. Like I said I'm not really into highway pegs, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :p

interesting,, I was looking in the Kuryakyn cat. today!!!!! the switch blades look like what I am going with,, not sure how I will attach ,,, yet,,,,

Skyway, nice work. I kinda like the slightly less shine approach myself. Put me and I think a lot of guys, in on this deal if you decide to go with a "quantity run". :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.