Slipper Clutch Kits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did this upgrade on my 2010, 22k miles. Very easy to do. Clutch pull is a little bit lighter (not a fantastic improvement but better than it was). The clutch engagement action feels more mechanical than before, and I believe it is due to the 3 ramps on the new clutch hub (you can see these on the new part). The new clutch plates have reinvigorated the engagement, and it feels brand new.

Then I thought about it a little more. Is the slipper clutch actually an improvement? Might the best idea be replacing your clutch plates with new/stock from your actual year? Some riders may need help downshifting so they do not accidentally lock up the rear wheel releasing the clutch lever. But none of my experienced riding pals has this problem. We know how to ride. (controversial, eh?) Heck, the slipper clutch may be an "improvement" that came in the same basket as traction control, anti-lock brakes, and etc. After I had spent the $300 or so bucks and performed the parts swap-out, I had that nagging thought that new clutch plates might have been all that was necessary.

BTW, the Youtube video referenced above is very good. He was delirious about the lighter clutch lever pull! OK, I'll admit it, any easing of the lever pull is good.

The big question to Art, why do you want to make the change. What are you trying to achieve?

On my old FJR (2003), I added a Barnett clutch conversion spring kit so my clutch would grab harder. At the time I rode with some very aggressive riders and used the FJR like a sport bike. There were times that the rear wheel would chatter under hard downshifts but it always engaged the way I wanted.

Fast forward to the new 18 with the slipper clutch. Clutch lever is lighter and the rear wheel has never locked up, even on a track day.

Personally, I see no need to do the slipper swap. Its nice to have on the new bike but I cant say that Ill ever use it to its fullest potential.

I still feel that it may be part of the cause of the shifting issues I have experienced on the new bike.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the advice and info. I have no issues with the stock set up. The clutch works fine and never an issue with down shifting as I slip the throttle to prevent rear wheel grab. After looking at the U-Tube video I am convinced I will keep the stock set up. Perhaps a new bike if they offer a color I like next year.

I bought a 2014A used from a dealer two years ago. The dealer would not give me info about the previous owner so I don't have info on mods and maintenance. I have done most of the maintenance items. I am finding some things I didn't know have been done.

My question is can you tell if the slipper clutch mod has been done with out taking apart the clutch? Also, clutch doesn't engage until the lever is almost fully released. Someone else said this is a sign of a slipper clutch setup.

Thanks,

John