Slipping clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth RSA

Reaction score
Is it a relatively easy task to change my clutch which has begun slipping. Is there an adjustment or a burnt clutch. Happened while climbing a very steep incline of half a mile which was rather slippery.

Are you certain that it wasn't rear wheel slipping (loss of traction)?

Clutch slipping is often first noticed when the load is high -- 5th gear, wide-open-throttle, and good traction.

Like I said on fjrowners, it is dead simple.

Roughly US$116 (plus shipping) in the US for a full set of friction plates and the gasket for the cover. I happened to price it out for someone the other day.

You'll have to presoak the plates in oil and from there the job should take less than 2 hours including removing and replacing the plastic, draining & replacing the oil - haven't done it to my FJR yet, mind you, but the Kawasaki didn't even need the oil drained - just had to put it on the sidestand and work from there!!

While you have it open, check to make sure the pressure plates aren't blued. If yes, then you can replace those later.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're mechanically inclined and have done medium complex things, the clutch should be a breeze. It's really not that bad, helps if you have a manual to guide you, I know some say they are pricey; however, it's well worth it not to screw something up.

Good luck. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have downloaded a manual and will give it a bash, have put a couple bikes back together, will check the price out here tomorrow and might have to look at bringing one in. Just seems a bit soft to have lost the clutch like that. Could there perhaps be a problem with the clutch release cylinder?? In all my years of biking never had a clutch problem besides a snapped cable and have given some of my bikes clutches a good workout in the past.

Have downloaded a manual and will give it a bash, have put a couple bikes back together, will check the price out here tomorrow and might have to look at bringing one in. Just seems a bit soft to have lost the clutch like that. Could there perhaps be a problem with the clutch release cylinder?? In all my years of biking never had a clutch problem besides a snapped cable and have given some of my bikes clutches a good workout in the past.
IMHO the release is all regulated by the spring tension. The springs could be bad, but…. BTW you may want new springs too just to make sure.
I don't believe the clutch slave will keep pressure on and not release it, at least I've never heard of such a case. I would agree loosing a clutch with low miles isn't a real common thing but for some reason some go prematurely. If a friction plate or two are severely worn, I'd wonder why, you'd expect even wear.