Smitty's Audiovox Cruise Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atl dave

Reaction score
I can't thank Smitty enough for the work he did on my bike yesterday. I have to agree with another post out there that he is a master of his trade. Once he got on site at my house he got right to work. I was amazed on how much he had stowed on his bike for the installation. Once he unloaded his gear and set up his tools I (he) had a great little tool/fabrication shop located in my garage. All I provided to him was a drill and some coffee. We (he) started a little after 8:30am and finished up a little before 12:00pm which included a test drive. He was meticulous with the install and was extra careful not to scratch or scuff anything on the bike. I think I'll buy him a couple big rolls of the blue 1" painters tape he so much likes to use. I recommend him highly! I've included a few pictures of the day. One thing that I did was to paint the white vacuum PVC canister black with BBQ high temperature paint. This made it almost unnoticeable on the bike. Smitty - cheers to you man!!!

Dave

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Taking it apart - notice the blue painter's tape!

IMG_0567.JPG

Getting ready to take the fuel injection bar off

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

Vacuum canister placement

IMG_0571.JPG

Vacuum hose attached to 2nd to left throttle body

IMG_0573.JPG

Installing the throttle linkage

IMG_0578.JPG

Closer Look - throttle linkage

IMG_0579.JPG

Final placement of canister

IMG_0580.JPG

Electrical Harness - notice the black cable sleeve around the new wires

IMG_0581.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the servo cannister was going up under the tank on 06's and up after the AE experiment?

I'd also like to see pics of the vacum cannister install. I want to put mine in the same place, just not sure what he's using to manufacture his and how it's secured.

Obviously Smitty is a man of detail. I just wish he were closer to me! Can't wait to get the cruise on my bike.

I thought the servo cannister was going up under the tank on 06's and up after the AE experiment?
I'd also like to see pics of the vacum cannister install. I want to put mine in the same place, just not sure what he's using to manufacture his and how it's secured.

Obviously Smitty is a man of detail. I just wish he were closer to me! Can't wait to get the cruise on my bike.
Putting the servo under the tank is my plan for the AE's only. It is time consuming to remove the coolant crossover pipe. The main purpose for that location is so the AE computers are not moved... will also have to charge a little more for the type of install. Not sure how much yet.

Thanks for the kind words Dave, it was really nice to meet you. Ride safe, Smitty :)

I know it would be hard for Smitty to get to all of us, so think I will plan a summer trip to Smitty. He is the best.

I know it would be hard for Smitty to get to all of us, so think I will plan a summer trip to Smitty. He is the best.

A worth while trip, and some great roads to ride beween you and hooterville . :lol:
hey guy! where is smitty located? how much did the cruise control cost? how much did smitty cost? i have carpel tunnel in both wrists and cruise control on my '06 fjr would help alot. thanks.

I finally got to take the bike out for a longer ride on Sunday. Atlanta to Augusta and back - almost 400 miles worth. Every time on put on the cruise I thanked Smitty. It was well worth the investment. No problems with the unit - it worked flawlessly.

Dave

I finally got to take the bike out for a longer ride on Sunday. Atlanta to Augusta and back - almost 400 miles worth. Every time on put on the cruise I thanked Smitty. It was well worth the investment. No problems with the unit - it worked flawlessly.
Dave
Hey Dave,Smitty put a cc100 on my bike the day before he did yours And I was out yesterday and was quite pleased with it's operation.It is soooo much better then those cheesy throttle locks that you have to keep adjusting everytime you go up or down a hill.As you said a real good investment especially if you take road trips. Enjoy!!!

A worth while trip, and some great roads to ride beween you and hooterville . :lol:
hey guy! where is smitty located? how much did the cruise control cost? how much did smitty cost? i have carpel tunnel in both wrists and cruise control on my '06 fjr would help alot. thanks.
JoJo, I am located in Bonne Terre, Mo. 63628 The cost is $310. for a A model, $365. for a AE model. This includes parts and labor. PM me if you are interested.. Thanks everyone for the kind words. Smitty

Dave
Hey Dave,Smitty put a cc100 on my bike the day before he did yours And I was out yesterday and was quite pleased with it's operation.It is soooo much better then those cheesy throttle locks that you have to keep adjusting everytime you go up or down a hill.As you said a real good investment especially if you take road trips. Enjoy!!!

Hey Tom,

The unit saved me a ticket or two this past weekend. Once I set the speed I didn't worry about all the GSP's out on the road.

Are you in Dacula? Looking at doing an Athens trip sometime next year. Maybe we can meet up sometime.

Dave

Hey Smitty,

I have a friend who has a new Suzuki Boulevard C90T. He really liked your installation. I know this unit has been put other bikes but I didn't know if any of them were V-Twins. I don't know what issues may come up with the electronics. I would think if there was a place for the canister(s) and a tab on the throttle cable it might be possible. Any thoughts?

Dave

Putting the servo under the tank is my plan for the AE's only. It is time consuming to remove the coolant crossover pipe. The main purpose for that location is so the AE computers are not moved... will also have to charge a little more for the type of install. Not sure how much yet.

Thanks for the kind words Dave, it was really nice to meet you. Ride safe, Smitty :)
Smitty,

You da man! Let me know when you'll be out west coast. You'll have a free place to stay during our little surgery ;)

Smitty, the gipsy mechanic.

Living off the land, going where the wind blows, a rolling stone gathers no moss.

sorry, cabin fever :dribble:

Smitty......

I am new to this forum. I'm in the market for an FJR1300. Not decided on wether I want the AE model. One of the first things I see that it is missing is cruise control. I installed one on a Concours a few years back that I bought from JC Whitney. I think it is was the same Audiovox unit you are installing. It worked great. I am in NW Arkansas, so I will probably have you do mine. One question - where do you mount the little control panel?

JoeL

Smitty......
I am new to this forum. I'm in the market for an FJR1300. Not decided on wether I want the AE model. One of the first things I see that it is missing is cruise control. I installed one on a Concours a few years back that I bought from JC Whitney. I think it is was the same Audiovox unit you are installing. It worked great. I am in NW Arkansas, so I will probably have you do mine. One question - where do you mount the little control panel?

JoeL

JoeL, I make a bracket and it mounts on the left side. Heres a pic...

Here's a A model..

IMG_0669.jpg

Heres a AE bracket...

IMG_0793.jpg

Let me know when your ready for a install... Smitty