Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Fred finally inspired me to try making Pastrami from a corned beef brisket flat.
Found a nice 4 pound one (there were dozens to choose from at $3.20 a pound)
Got one that was pretty even thickness side to side. Not only rinsed it off, but let it soak for about 6-7 hours to pull some of the salt out.
F59BE873-432B-4F33-BF21-253C2A97AC39.jpeg
Made a rub with black pepper corns, mustard seed, coriander, brown sugar, smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder which I cracked up some in my spice grinder (formerly a coffee grinder)
FC8B9617-5927-4050-BEE6-CC84D2FD5B24.jpeg

Just put in the Pit Boss. Will pull when it hits about 165 and wrap in foil, then finish in the oven.
I’ll then refrigerate overnight and slice up with my meat slicer.
So more photos and taste results tomorrow….👍😉

Well, sliced it up this morning. Got about 30 “not to thin” slices. Tasted great, but more like just good corned beef,not store bought pastrami, but great is great. 😉
Got some NY rye bread, a Ruben is in my future.
960E8D86-B22E-404E-B830-E312F7CF9C29.jpeg

Well for Easter dinner I have a 20 lb turkey I’m hoping to get thawed enough today and roast, and a 8.8 pound ham I plan on smoking tomorrow. Pictures to come…

Smoked a spiral ham or Easter. My new favorite ingredients are Jamesons and Maple Syrup.

Smoked at 250F until approximately 110F internal temperature with the seasoning packet provided on top of a yellow mustard binder.

Pulled it off and put it in a aluminum pan, tented, and cooked at 325F until it reached 145F. At the tent stage, I poured 1 cup of Jamesons and Maple syrup mixture over and into the pan.

Well Fred finally inspired me to try making Pastrami from a corned beef brisket flat.
Found a nice 4 pound one (there were dozens to choose from at $3.20 a pound)
Got one that was pretty even thickness side to side. Not only rinsed it off, but let it soak for about 6-7 hours to pull some of the salt out.
View attachment 6668
Made a rub with black pepper corns, mustard seed, coriander, brown sugar, smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder which I cracked up some in my spice grinder (formerly a coffee grinder)
View attachment 6669

Just put in the Pit Boss. Will pull when it hits about 165 and wrap in foil, then finish in the oven.
I’ll then refrigerate overnight and slice up with my meat slicer.
So more photos and taste results tomorrow….👍😉
Wow, your pastrami project sounds like a delicious adventure! Fred's inspiration really got you going on a flavorful journey. I can almost smell the spices and hear the sizzle of the Pit Boss. Your meticulous approach, from choosing the perfect brisket to crafting that flavorful rub, shows real dedication to your craft.
Speaking of culinary experiments, I've been diving into the world of cooking myself. One game-changer I've found is using Bone Broth. It adds such a rich, savory depth to dishes and saves a ton of time. I get mine from healofoods.com, and it's become a staple in my kitchen.

Last edited:
Not exactly smoked… but did a pot of chili (or chili flavored bean stew for Bounce) used smoked paprika, along with some Serrano and Cayenne peppers i grew last year that I smoked, along with some dried smoked chipotle I had. Also used some smoked onion. Wasn’t really that hot/spicy, as the total volume of the rest diluted it some.
Everyone thought it was a great balance.
8B2999B3-2063-4D20-A647-E171D0026B9B.jpeg

Well how about this… reheated a rack of frozen smoked baby backs. 1 hour at 250°, then mopped down with a 50/50 mix of Carolina sauce and cranberry juice. Then Re-Wrapped back up in foil for 45 minutes at 325°. They were awesome.
11309E4C-290A-4775-8081-5FB1896656C4.jpeg