Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
The pipe on that smoker is huge - like the exhaust pipes that knucklehead kids put on diesel pickups now.
Yeah, it is big. The stock pipe is fat at about 5” dia., but too short to develop good draft. I sent a message to the people at Old Country suggesting they come up with a kit to add a foot or more to the stock exhaust pipe. The recognize that it was a shortcoming, but have thus far not come up with a solution. In the meantime, I am running my rice-boy fart can pipe effectively.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Made a change to my smokestack today. The stock chimney pipe is, I believe, 5” schedule 10 steel pipe. I would love to get my hands on about 18” of that and weld a permanent chimney extension on. But that pipe is pretty expensive and hard to get in small quantities.

Instead what I did was buy a 2’ length of 5” diameter galvanized duct. I slipped the 2’ length onto the stock chimney about 6”. The ID of the chimney pipe
is about 5.25”, so the duct pipe fit easily. I put a hose clamp around the duct pipe so it wouldn’t slip down any further, then I cut off the 6” stove pipe that I had been using as an extension and slid that over the duct pipe. I filled the space between the 5” and 6” pipes with fiberglass insulation and fitted a 6” duct transition piece as a spacer to keep them concentric.

I think with the insulated pipe I’ll get plenty of draft with the 16” extension and 5” diameter. Seems to be working ok.

Tested the new configuration while I smoked a beer can chicken for dinner.

Attachments

• C7AA5D28-702C-4004-9D76-3BB356BAE054.jpeg
    C7AA5D28-702C-4004-9D76-3BB356BAE054.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • FE180AD9-CAD6-4D57-96BC-DDAA8270F847.jpeg
    FE180AD9-CAD6-4D57-96BC-DDAA8270F847.jpeg
    938.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1310A384-2E8B-45D0-B18D-0CFDC54092AD.jpeg
    1310A384-2E8B-45D0-B18D-0CFDC54092AD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Nah, the A-maze-n pellet smokers give off very little heat, but a ton of smoke. The cheeses I smoked this time last year came out great. I especially liked the Cabot pepper jack. It does take quite a while before the sharp edge of the smoke flavor wears off. Patience is a requirement.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
As an aside, I had a nice (cheap) chuck roast to cook tonight. It’s hovering around freezing outside here in Vermont, so I opted to toss it onto the Pit Boss Pellet burner. Set it on “smoke” for an hour and a half starting at noon, then switched up to 225F for a few hours.

A little after 4 PM I wrapped it in foil with a good splash of beef stock to braise until done. I’ll pull it off at 205 or so. Have done small chuck roasts like this before and they come out great. Way cheaper than any brisket today.

Just to keep things hoppin’ I’ve got a nice boule of sourdough bread (from a new starter) in the dutch oven to go with the beef.

Knifemaker

Not me
Reaction score
Nowheelies…. Seemed to work out fine. Smoked a chunk of sharp cheddar, havarti, and Gruyère. For two hours using the applewood pellets.
All wrapped in two layers of Saran Wrap and put in the fridge. Won’t know how they taste for two weeks (Dec 12) ….So will let you know then.

The Webber clone grill I did them did feel warm (black lid with the sun on it) the cheddar looked a bit “sweaty” but all were firm. Missed out doing this on a mid 30’s day, which was my original plan. Will likely do this again when it’s at least that cold here. May try to cure and smoke some salmon too.
As Fred said, the A-maze-n put out A LOT of smoke. More than I see flowing out of my other smokers.

That roast looks great BTW….

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
Finished the last of the cheeseburgers yesterday from the marathon grilling session while breaking in the Blackstone griddle.

2:1 ground beef:bison, S&P, garlic powder, sliced cheese. That's it. Grilled onions, bacon, etc. Sort of a "dregs sandwich" but pretty tasty still.

Nowheelies

Reaction score
Daughter's boyfriend shot 3 deer this year. Last night we smoked the backstraps. Apple wood, 200 to 230 depending on how much I was paying attention. Pulled out of smoker (gas, vertical) at low 140 degrees. Let sit in 170 degree oven until all the rest of supper was finished.

WOW! That was some good eating. Even my very fussy granddaughter who refuses to eat pretty much everything liked it. Had just enough venison taste to know what you were eating, but not "gamy" as is the case with a lot of venison depending on its diet and preparation before and during cooking.

Hopefully he and my grandson get at least one more this weekend. Then we can do it again!

Sorry no pics. Too busy visiting and fussing with the smoker.