Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One advantage to the ceramic smokers too is their ability to hold heat despite the weather. Imagine trying to maintain temperature on a cold, windy, snowy New England day with one of those thin gauge metal smokers vs one of the 1 inch thick ceramic smokers.

BGE fans are a cult. Look around online and you can find stories of them going into big box stores when a new "Knock Off" is released, with them wearing T-shirts and evangelizing to the people what a rip off the one they are looking at is and why they should be buying a BGE.

Of course, for a while there the BGE was the only one on the market and actually was one of the less expensive ones. However, their success breeds imitators and there's a lot of them out there just as good if not better for a lower price. They are still quite the investment though. On the cheaper end is the "Acorn" which isn't ceramic but uses the same style with a double wall metal exterior and I've actually read some good stuff about them. Probably aren't as good as a BGE but maybe comes 90% as good.

As for me, I'm cheap, and broke...so I went with the UDS. It works off the same principle as it's a vertical smoker, and it was fun because I got to do all the work and design myself. If it didn't work out, I can go pick up another barrel and move my stuff over to the new one and try again. I've learned a few things on this one and looking at some of the stuff others have done with theirs I know how I'll do it next time. It's all fun.

As for brining...I'm a fan also. I'd read up on it, watched Alton Brown's show on it and really wanted to do it. The biggest problem with brining though that I've found is the amount of time required for prior planning. I'm not so good at that. Three Thanksgivings went by where I'd pull the bird out that morning and start prepping it for the oven and think "Damnit! I wanted to try brining this year!" A couple of years ago I set myself a myriad of reminders and pulled it off.

We presently live next door to my wife's family (Dad and grandparents) and it's awesome to have two kitchens going side by side for Thanksgiving. Well, they were skeptical about the brining and how salty it would be considering my wife's grandmother's restrictive diet, so her dad did one Turkey and I did mine. Needless to say, there were LOTS of leftovers of his turkey and mine got scarfed up. After that my wife declared that THIS was how I was to make the turkey from now until forever. So now she makes sure to start reminding me about the brining process days in advance.
biggrin.png

Excellent, Jasen. I will do more studying on the brining. And maybe we will have a non-traditional smoked turkey (along with a regular indoor cooked one) this year for T-day.

I am currently looking for a drum now for use in conversion to a UDS. I like making stuff and I'm as frugal as they come. I also live in a fairly rural suburb, and would not mind having a 55 gallon drum sharing the back yard space.

Awesome links. Just as I suspected there is some tenderizing going on here. I knew I had that in the back of my mind for some reason. Probably something I saw on the Food Network (maybe the same Alton Brown show Jasen mentioned?)

I made my brother and his wife (SIL) a brined pulled pork dinner and for years after she was inviting people over for a weekend party/meal so she would have an excuse to make pulled pork :lol: Some things shine with brine. When I brine a chicken I often add wine to the brine, along with herbs from our deck garden pots. TwoWheelNut and I used to share all kinds of brined food recipes, me miss da Nut. Game does well with brine but better with alcohol of any type, and like brine, give it time. How easy it is to rhyme with brine.

Nice......

I just picked up a new Yoder 640 competition.... I was getting tired of direct cooking, decided to go all out on a really nice pellet grill... I'm thrilled to death with this pit... been cooking alot of stuff and experimenting quite a bit...

IMG_20130809_155816.jpg

download_20130817_164743.jpg

Did my first brisket last week, and I was thrilled with how it came out.... Did the rub on the 9.5lb flat from costco, let it sit overnight, dropped it on the smoker at 9 am, brought up to 150, injected it, wrapped it in foil brought up to 190, unwrapped and let it crust over until 198. Pulled and foiled it to let it set. Turned out super moist and juicy....

Injection was mixure of beef broth, apple juice and honey whiskey...

20130902_133014.jpg

Nice......
I just picked up a new Yoder 640 competition.... I was getting tired of direct cooking, decided to go all out on a really nice pellet grill... I'm thrilled to death with this pit... been cooking alot of stuff and experimenting quite a bit...

IMG_20130809_155816.jpg

download_20130817_164743.jpg

Did my first brisket last week, and I was thrilled with how it came out.... Did the rub on the 9.5lb flat from costco, let it sit overnight, dropped it on the smoker at 9 am, brought up to 150, injected it, wrapped it in foil brought up to 190, unwrapped and let it crust over until 198. Pulled and foiled it to let it set. Turned out super moist and juicy....

Injection was mixure of beef broth, apple juice and honey whiskey...

20130902_133014.jpg
I would love to add this to my outdoor kitchen, .
punk.gif

That's a fine-looking brisket you have there, Warpdrv. I gotta try one of those this weekend. I can see where injecting a brisket would be a good thing. I've never injected anything yet, but I like the sound of a whiskey injection. :)

If you are planning on the UDS, here's a couple of links to help you out.

Mother of all UDS threads -> https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436 (grab a six pack and start reading)

Fairly simple how to plans -> https://howtobbqright.com/udssmoker.html I used a lot of this guys simple ideas for my measurements and such.

I bought most of my parts off of Amazon. One tip, when buying the grate, make sure to buy a 22.5" grate and not one for a Weber 22.5" grill. I didn't think about that and ended with like an 18" grate because of the shape of the Weber grill.

If you've been living under a rock and never seen Alton Brown's show, it's a really good show because he talks about why you do things rather than just telling you to do them. Here's his turkey brining episode ->

Warpdrv, that makes me want to ride up to Milwaulkee from Texas.

Yikes. A lot of you guys are spending some serious coin on your 'que!

I know, I know... it's all worth it when you sit down to eat. ;)

Still not sure which way I'm going to go. I know I won't be flipping the coin for the Yoder or even a BGE / Komada cooker, not right now anyway.

I'm considering doing the UDS, or maybe the same thing downsized with a 30 gallon drum?

Or maybe just buy one of the vertical bullet type smokers like a Weber Smokey Mountain?

Or maybe go electric (or gas) with one of those refrigerator style jobs, like a Bradley?

Or... aw crap. Too many choices!

There's been some folks successful with a smaller drum, but you will likely have issues with your fire to food distance.

If you really want to drop some coin, skip over those cheap ass BGE's and go for a Kamado Komodo. Absolutely beautiful and purportedly work very well. I'll never know though.
biggrin.png

https://www.komodokamado.com/

Haha!! You like to spend my money, Jasen!

Unfortunately, I don't have much spare change in the sofa cushions right now as we just sprung for a new pellet stove to help cut down on the fuel oil bills this winter.
mda.gif

So, looking at inexpensive electric chest (fridge style) smokers I see that the Masterbuilt 30" electric gets some pretty decent reviews for something that costs only $180. I'm thinking this may be a good way to get my feet a little wet(ter) into this whole smoking scene without jumping in way over my head.

Any specific experiences with that unit? It is Masterbuilt model #20070612. They have them in stock at the local Home Despot. Might have to go down and take a look at it.

Dude, I AM the master at spending other people's money. I'll spend every last cent in your retirement account if you'll let me.
biggrin.png

Thanks Guys...... I went all out, its been a really fun and delicious learning experience.....

I have yet to have anything come off that pit that didn't turn out really well....

I went a bit overkill on that pit, but I don't like to replace stuff..... I'm a buy once cry once kinda guy...

The pellet grill was right up my alley, I am on the move and work alot so I don't have alot of time to sit and stoke a fire.

Pretty much wore out my welcome on my Weber direct grilling rig, and needed to expand my cooking repertoire....

Well worth the money for many years to come for me....

Feck....... I was thinking the forum was "enlightened" an this was aboot Cannabis Sativa.
I was thinking that he should change the title of the thread to "Meat Smokers".......... but then again maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, your earlier comment on Komodo cookers was you don't know how they are different from more conventional charcoal grills. You can grill on a Komodo, but if you want to smoke you need a ceramic heat deflector (plate setter) to get indirect heat. Once you do that, temperature and moisture control in the cookers works very well as they are much more air-tight and precise than any charcoal grill.

I have a Big Steel Keg and CharGriller Akorn, and both do a respectible job of long, slow smokeing. While all the wood and charcoal fired equipment are very cool and produce good food, the Electric Smokers are the easiest and most consistent in doing the job. Nothing is easier and has the capacity to put out a lot of barbecue.

BSK in action with a huge clod of brisket:

DSC_4485Medium.jpg

Me too!!

Well, it looks like my decision has been made for me. Seems I have a birthday coming up and my fiddling with the ghetto Grille and all my day dreaming about smokers has not gone unnoticed by those who cohabit my dwelling. I was on my way out to the Despot to eyeball those Master Craft electric cabinet smokers (which seem quite nice for the money, BTW) but SWMBO informed me that I was not to purchase said smoker under any circumstances as I have a birthday coming up!!

I know now what I'll be receiving on the brown truck of happiness in the next few days. It's a Charbroil American Gourmet offset firebox smoker. It probably isn't what I would have picked out for myself as the capacity is on the smallish side, but it is always the thought that counts the most, right? It will give me a new tool to learn and improve my grilling on, and I'm sure that with some clever farkling I can make that grille put out some good barbeque. Maybe in another year or two I'll step up to a more 'spensive and/or bigger capacity unit, but maybe not. You just never know with these hobby type things which ones will stick when they hit the wall. ;)

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and comments. I've got a lot out of this discussion, some great ideas, and I hope some others have gained ideas on their future BBQ equipment and processes too. That and I have an even bigger hunger for some pulled pork, smoked turkey, chicken or some more brisket. Hoorah!