Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too always use a salt less rub. (A slight variation on the Memphis Dust) just easier to control the salt today way, especially if you’re doing a dry (or wet) brine.

Saturday I made up a dozen of my pepper stuffed bacon wrapped boneless skinless chicken thighs for our annual Oktoberfest. Only difference this time is I marinated the salted chicken in BBQ sauce, honey, garlic, onion, and red wine vinegar before wrapping up. 

Put in the offset at 225 until they hit 165 F, (about 3 hours).  

E7817555-3926-4641-81-B2-0754-E468-E467.jpg

I did a rack of (Smithfield) ribs over the weekend (no pics). I got lazy and just put the rack on the grill instead of splitting the rack in half and standing the two halves up in my rib rack.  I ran them 5 hours @ 250 degrees like I always do. I was disappointed in the look of the rack when it came off the smoker, but the taste was good!  Ribs were moist and tender, but still had some "tooth" to them. 

I’ve been underwhelmed by the Smithfield brand ribs.  They seem a lot fattier and the racks feel flabbier when raw.  Same with their breakfast sausage.  They used to be better before the Chinese bought the brand.  

I try to get the Hatfield brand when they have them at our market. Those seem to cook up nicer.  But sometimes you don’t get many choices.

From the choices I have around here I prefer the Smithfield, but I will be sure to keep an eye out for the Hatfield and give them a try if I come across them.

I’ve had some luck in the past with Smithfield baby backs. Then, they kind of disappeared and were replaced with Tyson ribs (I thought they just did chicken)

This led me to try some locally sourced ribs....as there are several pork (and beef) farms in a 60 mile radius from us. The ones I got that were the closest we’re fine, but a bit small compared to the store bought ones.   However a trip into Illinois got me some of the best we have had so far.

I’ll likely take the 100 mile round trip to go there again when I’m ready to smoke ribs this fall. 

I hope that’s a nice ride to Illinois, if you have to go 100 miles to get them.  I guess it would be worth it if you bought a half dozen racks or more and cooked them all to hold you through the winter.

My riding and smoking will both come to a close for the year on Friday.  Going in for my 2nd hip replacement, so figuring I won’t be able-bodied before the snow flies here in Vermont.  

Just finished getting the snowblower mounted on my Kubota tractor and parked in the last garage space where the motorcycles normally sit.  If we get snow in November I want to make it easy fir my son to come up and clear our driveway and yard. 

But, there’s always next year.  

Actually that’s exactly what I usually do, buy 6 racks to smoke and freeze the rest. 

And looking at the map, it’s really a 71 mile drive there. 😳

https://www.wenneman.com

They are tucked away in a tiny little town, but many folks around where I live use them to process their deer. They also make their own bacon, and it’s really really good, so I pick up a few pounds of that when I go. 

We didn’t get through all the frozen ribs quickly enough last year, the last few apparently got freezer burn and we ended up throwing the last rack away. It is a nice drive, but I think I’ll smoke a few racks less this year because of that. The ribs (and the bacon ) are worth the drive however. 

Wishing you good luck with your upcoming surgery 👍

I’m likely going to smoke 3-4 more turkey breasts before Christmas. I found some at Walmart on sale for 50 cents a pound. Will give away two or three of them. Pics to come....

Turkey breast has been my choice for a quick, easy smoke with repeatable results. I have 3 in the freezer right now.

If not already "tarted up" with the store's seasoning, I do an overnight brine of at least 8 hours.

What Bounce said^ I usually brine overnight, so usually about 12 hours.
I have two boneless breasts about 3 lbs each, and two full bone in breasts that are 4.3 pounds each. Will be using two different rubs.
Looks like Sunday will be the cook day.

Early Christmas wishes to all of my BBQing friends here. Things have been very hectic of late here in VT. Had some significant problems with my 2nd hip replacement, but I’m on the homeward slide now and feeling much better.

I wish you all a pleasant, and enjoyable Christmas season. There are few things as enjoyable in life as spending time with friends and loved ones. I hope that you are all able to do that this year, and in the future.

Good to hear you’re on the mend Fred. Hope you have a very enjoyable Christmas too😉

Today’s victims for the smoker:34B68AA6-25A0-4441-9DB9-D2B5A8E1D7EA.jpeg

Looks like the two boneless breasts will finish first. All will be refrigerated overnight and then sliced up.

Attachments

• FF9BA969-003C-43E0-9AB7-B8EC6E5786CB.jpeg
    FF9BA969-003C-43E0-9AB7-B8EC6E5786CB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Got about 6” of the white last night. Cleared my own driveway and two of the neighbors while disconnected from my infusion pump. Ground too soft to use the snowblower much. But it should be frozen solid soon. Had to use the rear blade instead.

On topic, I have a small pork loin roast to cook on the pellet burner. I don’t have the dedication to break out the offset and sit outside feeding it. I’ll save that activity for warmer months.

Dry brined the roast for a while beforehand, and will use my “house pork rub” (aka meathead’s Memphis Dust) laid on kind’a heavy with some olive oil binder. Key for pork loin is getting it off at 140F and let it carry-over cook to 145.

Sounds good. I feel for all you northern folks having to deal with the cold. It was however 27F this morning while I prepped the smoker. It’s sunny here, but it only got up to 38.
Looks like I was wrong about the bone in breasts finishing last. They were about 20 degrees down from the boneless ones, but have now passed them and are about 8 degrees higher. At 2-1/2 hours in they’re both in the 140’s. Will pull at 158.

Finished breasts. Sadly won’t know how they taste until tomorrow. Skin a bit toasted, but as it will be removed for slicing, no problem.

B21360D0-614F-4B66-9200-4F508E99DEA9.jpegA little less white here, but still cold.79A0886B-420D-4C69-8B59-4BDA8220578F.jpeg