Smokers (BBQ - not grilling)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Balmy at 35F. šŸ˜‰ That loin pic got me salivating. And yes, pork is definitely a value meat right now. (And those 50 cent a pound turkey breasts that sold out in one day) Beef prices here are just crazy. Pork loin roasts are going for about $2.38 a pound here. NY strip steaks are at $9.80 a pound.
Smoke ring on that pork looks great. šŸ‘

42Āŗ this am. Had to bundle up to take out the trash. Got down to about 30Āŗ on the heels of a few days near 80Āŗ. It's that 80Āŗ where I should have unlimbered the smoker but I worked on the garage instead.

It was in the single digits here this morning. Good thing because the roads that were all nicely frozen a couple weeks ago all melted and we had a false ā€œmud-seasonā€, and then we got the snow on top of that. Makes for tough plowing.

Sliced up the breasts this morning. Boneless ones tasted great, decent smoke flavor. The bone in breasts (that had skin too) werenā€™t as smokey but tasted like a good tender roasted turkey. Am guessing the fact I had them in a pan and they had skin was the reason the smoke didnā€™t penetrate as much.

AC5878D6-D07E-4113-A946-D5767FA090CD.jpeg

Beef Ribs. Itā€™s what for dinnerā€¦

4B425B62-5FB9-4663-B567-F1926BC3CA63.jpeg
Yep, only $10 from Wally Worldā€™s Meat Emporeum.

1733B72A-902B-4E01-A8A1-402256609F3A.jpeg

Exotic Texas spice rub (salt nā€™ peppa). Those are some good sized dino bones.

6E8B7810-C464-44E5-8B8B-29ACB683466A.jpeg

Finished goods. Quite tasty, especially for the season. Went out and snow blowed my driveway and the two neighbors while they were smoking. Did them on the pellet smoker, which cuts the labor down a lot.

Still looking forward to more time on the stick burner when the weather is more amenable.

Oh, no, no, no. The smoker I have needs attending to on a regular basis, no matter what goes in there. There's a reason I put a chair and cigar ashtray right near it. I thought you guys knew all this stuff?

PlasticBruisedGallowaycow-size_restricted.gif

My wife already knows that running my smoker has the side benefit of me sitting in a chair with a bottle of whiskey and some cigars to smoke. I think she likes her alone time too šŸ˜‰

2A1BE3A2-B7D0-41DE-AE17-EC2011A3DD0A.jpegDoing up a pair of turkey breasts again on a sunny, but cold morning (22) one for us and one for the 87 year old woman my wife takes care of twice a week.

B4892A4C-BB81-47EE-9B86-2E314769413A.jpegCame out looking good. Pulled them at 157. Will refrigerate overnight and then slice up. Used apple, cherry, and hickory wood. Took just 3-1/2 hours at 245-250 F
For the rub I used my usual (Meatheads) rub but left out the cayenne pepper and chili powder, and put in poultry seasoning instead.

Last edited:
Looks like the OK Joe will be getting its first use in the New Year tomorrow.
Thinking about some ribs and tri tip as the kids and grandkids are coming over tomorrow to hang out.
Looking forward to the smell of oak and meat drifting through the backyardā€¦ā€¦
Biknflyfisher

I had some tri-tip the other day. Claimed by one-and-all to be great examples of the comestibles.

I was unimpressed. Cooked-properly but mostly flavorless meat slathered in sweat sauce that gave it the flavor. I'm hoping what is being discussed here isn't the same and the sauce is on the side.

Iā€™ve been taking to reverse smoke/searing my steaks with a low temp smoke first, then pull it off early while I bring the grille up to max temp for a quick sear. Thatā€™s one reason I picked a Pit Boss pellet grille over some of the other brands as there is a sliding plate over the burner that allows direct heat for searing.

For seasonings, I prefer only kosher salt and course black pepper on my beef, but will sometimes add a little granular garlic powder. If people want sweat (or sweet) sauce on their steak thatā€™s up to them, but I donā€™t put it on. I have been known to hit mine with a little Louisiana hot sauce when Iā€™m in the mood, but I like that on everything!